Star Gazers - Eastern Carribean in early March

TessM

I'll be on the Emerald the first week of March and I've never been to the Caribbean before. Among lots of other things, I'm excited about seeing the night sky in that part of the world.

I'm only a casual observer, I don't own a telescope but I enjoy seeing the major constellations and viewing constellations I don't normally get to see (in NW Washington state). As I said, I'm just a casual observer but "I read on the Internet" that the Southern Cross might be observable at that latitude.

So, for those of you that enjoy looking up at the night sky, are the night skies in the Caribbean loaded with stars (not obscured by city lights) and is it true about seeing the Southern Cross?

I realize the ship itself will be "lit up" and to an extent obscure night time viewing a bit. I just hope it's not too much light. I live in a small city so I'm used to reduced viewing due to city lights.

IF you are able to have a bright sky, look to the south west and very low on the horizon. We live in Key West and sometimes can see the Cross from here so yes, it is possible to see it from the Caribbean. The lights on the ship are the biggest problem.

Thanks for the responses. This advice is what I both hoped and expected to hear.

WeBeGone - It's good to hear that I have a chance of seeing the Southern Cross and thanks for the directions. I'll try to get a map of the sky for that time of month. -- Hopefully, we'll have a new moon during the cruise.

cb at sea - Your experience at sea is extremely helpful. Hopefully I'll have some clear nights but it sounds like I'll need a bit of luck.

Thanks for the responses. This advice is what I both hoped and expected to hear.

WeBeGone - It's good to hear that I have a chance of seeing the Southern Cross and thanks for the directions. I'll try to get a map of the sky for that time of month. -- Hopefully, we'll have a new moon during the cruise.

cb at sea - Your experience at sea is extremely helpful. Hopefully I'll have some clear nights but it sounds like I'll need a bit of luck.

If you can get a "forward facing" cabin (I don't know if Princess has those cabins) they are the best for viewing the night sky. Most of the time the forward lighting is turned off because it reflects into the bridge. IN the midde of the night in the middle of the southern Caribbean the view is spectacular! I have seen it many times. I had always heard that there were 400 billion stars and when you see it like that its easy to believe.

Its a sight you will always remember

Helen

Crux will be quite visible (more than 15 degrees above the horizon) from anywhere in the Caribbean. It is a (North American) summer constellation, which means that during the 1st week of March it will be highest in the South around midnight. It will rise in the southeast, and appear to rotate above the southern horizon, setting in the southwest before sunrise.

One thing to watch out for is the "False Cross", which is actually made up of stars from 2 different constellations, Carina and Vela. These stars are much further west (and north) of Crux, near Sirius and Canopus. During your trip, Vela and Carina will be high to the southwest in the evening hours and be close to setting aroung midnight.

Archived