Pro's & Con's...MUTS ?

WinnieinWA

You are, of course, allowed your opinion. However, put me in the group that thinks it's loud, obnoxious and awful. If you go to the buffet for lunch or even dinner, and want to sit right outside where there are tables and chairs, there is no way you can have a conversation or relaxing meal. According to you, I should go elsewhere. Sorry, I'm not going to carry my food halfway through the ship to the other pool area or back through the buffet and Cafe Caribe. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy lunch (or dinner) and having a WII contest blasting and a total of 7 people actually watching.

The pool area where MUTS is located is uncovered, which means that it's usable only when the ship is sailing in warm climates. (On some Grand-class ships, that's a covered pool.) MOST Princess cruises don't so that's a huge amount of space (not a "tiny" area when it's cold and/or raining and passengers have few places to go) unavailable to passengers when it's less-than-ideal conditions (which happens more frequently than you think.)

You say you can’t have a conversation, you are, of course allowed your opinion, again this is all subjective to how “loud” the sound is. Walk halfway through the ship to the other pool?? What? It is next door. If you are aware that you do not want to sit by the Muts pools with your lunch or dinner, than you can use the table and chairs outside the buffet heading towards the back of the ship. Besides, the outdoor pool areas were not made for passengers to enjoy their meals in a relaxed setting. You can’t please everyone all the time. Going elsewhere is simple, this is thrown around here for everything else. You don’t want to dress for formal night, go to the buffet, don’t want to be around kids…..use the adult pool, hate the smell of the smoke…..move away from the designated areas.

Considering the length of the ship, yes I still say that the surrounding area at the MUTS pool is “tiny” And in rainy, cool weather, I don’t believe there is not much to enjoy anywhere outside on any of the decks.

You say you can’t have a conversation, you are, of course allowed your opinion, again this is all subjective to how “loud” the sound is. Walk halfway through the ship to the other pool?? What? It is next door. If you are aware that you do not want to sit by the Muts pools with your lunch or dinner, than you can use the table and chairs outside the buffet heading towards the back of the ship. Besides, the outdoor pool areas were not made for passengers to enjoy their meals in a relaxed setting. You can’t please everyone all the time. Going elsewhere is simple, this is thrown around here for everything else. You don’t want to dress for formal night, go to the buffet, don’t want to be around kids…..use the adult pool, hate the smell of the smoke…..move away from the designated areas.

Considering the length of the ship, yes I still say that the surrounding area at the MUTS pool is “tiny” And in rainy, cool weather, I don’t believe there is not much to enjoy anywhere outside on any of the decks.

You make it sound so easy, i.e., the tables and chairs, with silverware, right outside the buffet are not really for anyone who might act actually want to eat outside. And, if you have any trouble walking, going 200 - 300 feet extra shouldn't be any problem because it's your fault you actually want to sit directly outside the buffet to eat.

The bottom line is that the area outside the buffet IS set up for those who want to eat outside. Else, why would they have napkins and tableware? And to me, "loud" means that it gives me a headache and triggers my daughter's migraine. Yes, we do have to eat elsewhere because of MUTS, and to me, that's not right. It's set up for eating and I don't want to have to go 1/4 of the ship forward to the other pool area (a long way if you want to go back for more iced tea or something) or 1/4 to the very back of the ship.

A covered pool area on those ships where MUTS is installed over the Calypso Reef and Pool; continuous band entertainment on those ships where MUTS is installed over the Neptune Reef and Pool.

I've been on several cruises where it was too cold/chilly and/or rainy to sit outside and without a covered pool area, all those people are then crowded inside, often staking out tables in the buffet or chairs in the Atrium all day. Without a large public section of the ship available, hundreds of people have to find somewhere else to go. It's not pretty and IMHO, can ruin your cruise experience and gives the impression that the ship is over-crowded.

As I mentioned before, not everyone can be pleased. One wants a covered pool where MUTS is installed over the Calypso and another does not like the covered pool because it does not get direct sun all day.

When weather conditons are not pleasant, this brings crowds inside the ships, on any line, regardless whether it has covered pool area or Movies under the stars.

When weather conditons are not pleasant, this brings crowds inside the ships, on any line, regardless whether it has covered pool area or Movies under the stars.
With a large covered pool area still available for those who want to lounge, swim, etc., it greatly reduces the size of the "crowd" inside.

To those who dislike MUTS, I'm genuinely curious (not being snarky here): what would you like to see happen? Less movies played during the day, or that they just stop installing MUTS on ships?

First truth in marketing, as MOD - Movies on Deck

-There are people who enjoy the lively enegry of the main pool but do not want to subject themselves to electronic media while on vacation. Be truthful about the product, it's not only under the stars.

-After truth in marketing, less movies or newer releases. On the Golden it made what was a iffy vacation worse. I went to Alaska to enjoy the beautiful scenery and couldn't do it at times from this deck. Alaska itself was wonderful.

-Since this is a family area, consider if showing PG-13 is appropriate or family friendly in todays rating system.

PG-13 is closer to the R of 10 years ago )-:

-Movies under the Stars is different and wonderful even in cold Alaska nights...it was cold:D

I don't need quiet, I need a place to hang out, enjoy a good chat, laugh out loud or listen to others laugh and hear it!

Princess has the right idea just needs to keep it real...real stars!

To those who dislike MUTS, I'm genuinely curious (not being snarky here): what would you like to see happen? Less movies played during the day, or that they just stop installing MUTS on ships?

As many of us have said, we are aware that there are those who may enjoy MUTS (why??? I can't imagine for the life of me.... Going on a cruise to sit in front of digital video????? God we are a culture of digital overload and addiction.. even a cruise is no respite... How can Princess call this an 'escape'.) But hey, it is a novelty. I can respect those who may enjoy it. I have to wonder why my enjoyment of the cruise, pool deck areas, outdoor dining, etc... does not receive the same respect??? I think if they limited to one Matinee in the afternoon, and one evening movie or concert, those us who despise MUTS would not have that much to complain so loudly about.

The problem occurs when it takes over a major public area ALL day, ALL night, and ALL the time.

The problems described on some ships, where they are not well designed for MUTS have all been discussed here... (the only open-air pool... Sound carrying over the whole pool deck, into dining venues, etc....), hearing impaired passengers who use hearing aides and amplification devices... etc.... etc... etc...

Frankly, at this point in this thread/discussion, I find it hard to believe that there are those who still can not understand.

We have tried "MUTS" on a few ships and after 15 minutes have to leave as the volume is way up and hurts our ears. Just can't take the noise. Some people love it. To each " His Own" as they say.........

We're taking our first cruise in Dec... I figure we will spend most of our time by the adult pool. However I am really looking forward to watching some Sunday night football with a beer in my hand and a nice ocean breeze, taking a dip, etc. Can'y wait! :D

As many of us have said, we are aware that there are those who may enjoy MUTS (why??? I can't imagine for the life of me.... Going on a cruise to sit in front of digital video????? God we are a culture of digital overload and addiction.. even a cruise is no respite... How can Princess call this an 'escape'.) But hey, it is a novelty. I can respect those who may enjoy it. I have to wonder why my enjoyment of the cruise, pool deck areas, outdoor dining, etc... does not receive the same respect??? I think if they limited to one Matinee in the afternoon, and one evening movie or concert, those us who despise MUTS would not have that much to complain so loudly about.

The problem occurs when it takes over a major public area ALL day, ALL night, and ALL the time.

The problems described on some ships, where they are not well designed for MUTS have all been discussed here... (the only open-air pool... Sound carrying over the whole pool deck, into dining venues, etc....), hearing impaired passengers who use hearing aides and amplification devices... etc.... etc... etc...

Frankly, at this point in this thread/discussion, I find it hard to believe that there are those who still can not understand.

Frankly, you know what I find hard to believe and don’t understand, that one continues obsessively passing extreme judgment on something they haven’t experienced yet.

From your posts, it appears as MUTS will totally affect your cruise enjoyment and your entire cruise will be ruined. I suggest you pick a Princess ship without MUTS or change over to another line.

Your comment “those us who despise MUTS would not have that much to complain so loudly about” Well, obviously it isn’t “loud” enough:D or because the loud complaints are in the minority. Princess decided to continue to build ships with it and adding the feature to the existing fleet for a reason. Personally, I could care less what that reason is for, why would I, it won't change a thing.

Above the outside Neptune's Reef and Pool...

Interesting. I wonder if they switch MUTS off on the Star during the pool games, ice carving and other outdoor tropical activities - has anybody any experience of MUTS working in the Neptune Pool in the Caribbean or MR?

We love MUTS. DD and i never had a problem conversing during a movie though we generally dont want to bother anyone near us with our conversation. I think the volume balance is just right. Yes, this is an active pool area. Easy to go to one of other 3 pools. Perhaps those with hearing aids could turn them down. Love the selection of movies. Love the popcorn and cookies (free), drinks, candy (on our last cruise someone came around with typical movie theater candy - not free but actually less expensive than you would pay in a movie theater! We even loved MUTS through a light brief rain - others went running, but we just covered our heads for the brief rain. Only negative experience in MUTS was a woman next to me who had to choose a movie showing to cut her toenails! fortunately she fled when it rained briefly! Also very easy to bring a plate of food from the Horizon buffet or Trident Grill or the pizzeria and make it a Movie Cafe!

I know I sound like a broken record (or is that expression now "broken CD"?) because I feel like I post a similar comment every time this discussion arises, but I just have to mention it again. On ships designed for MUTS, it's fine -- I didn't care for hearing it during the day on the Crown but there was another outdoor pool just a few steps away. But on the Star and the Golden, there is no other uncovered pool that gets direct sun all day: the Calypso Cove pool or whatever it's called is indoor, the aft pool is shaded by Skywalkers, and the spa pool is small, can have sun/shade issues because of its location, which is a bit claustrophic and deprives you of any view of the ocean. So if you prefer to sit in the sun and/or swim in a pool with water warmed by the sun, you're forced to endure MUTS. So just going to another pool isn't always an workable option, which I wish more posters would recognize before they blithely dismiss legitimate concerns about the addition of MUTS to every ship.

Thank you, I wish the same thing too. I guess some don't get it or ever will.

On some ships it's simply rubbish. One man's rubbish is anothers treasure because I have had some great finds at yard sales :-))))))))))).

Archived