Pro's & Con's...MUTS ?

WinnieinWA

I have only been on Sapphire and loved every second of my experience. I'm booked on Oct.2010 to Hawaii on the Golden.:)

At first I was excited about MUTS as I've never experienced that but I've read here that they play news and sports all day long and I'm wondering if it is annoying, interesting, wonderful or what? I hate hearing news all day long as I find it depressing while on vacation when I just want to chill and forget the real world for a week or two.

What do they show on MUTS during the day?

I'm really looking forward to this cruise with 6 of my CC members from the Sapphire....how great is that? Woo Hoo!:D

Hi There,

Never seen MUTS play news, if sports are shown it is something quite big

and not a common practice. During the day expect a couple of movies

more family type. Sherk etc .

Now if you are bye the pool this can be a little of putting if you want a quite area, however this area is note ment to be a quite area, with kids pools, ship games etc.

yours shogun

Don't worry no news or sport, not to say movies long out on DVD is any better. At night it was different. The screen against the dark skies, pop corn and a warm blanket. Oh, the only sound you hear and movement are from the screen. In the day the sound easily drowns out any kind of typical fun poolside conversation. If you are not looking for quiet, but still a fun atmosphere, you will have to deal with a long released Disney movie....LOUD! Rubbish to have to escape to another deck to avoid loud movies at high noon....JMOP!

Golden Princess August 14th

8:00 am - Marley and Me

10:30 am - Yes Man

2:30 pm- Wall-E

4:15 pm - Bedtime Stories

Add to this concerts some days.

You'll be sailing during football season so you will probably get a few football games during the week on MUTS. The only news I remember was the telecast of the inauguration during our Ruby cruise last January. I agree that it can be distracting during the day if you aren't watching the movie, but there are other places to relax poolside (or not) on deck so you don't have to deal with it. As I recall, the Golden has another main pool as well as the aft adults-only pool.

All I can say is, as a person who wears hearing aides.... (and there are probably LOTS of hearing impaired onboard these cruises..... does anybody from Princess read these boards..) MUTS blasting and blaring in my ears is my WORST nightmare. Can we say stakes being driven thru my ears.... inability to function, have a conversation, or anything else... Seriously, what sadist dreamed up this idea... I will be avoiding any area within earshot of MUTS like the plague...

A movie at night... okay, I can see that.. Maybe a matinee... but, that thing blaring... all MUTS.. all the time... :rolleyes::mad:

Its really loud and annoying. You are unable to carry a conversation or have a peaceful moment to just relax. We were so excited to find that the Sapphire was not receiving those "upgrades," until after our Hawaii cruise! I really hope Princess leaves it off of a few of the ships. Cruisers from WA have it right, you are unable to "Escape Completely," with a movie theater playing from early AM to late PM. I'm sorry, I just don't have any "pro's" to name, maybe its better for kids?

It wouldn't be so bad if they made an event out of it, and only showed a movie once or twice a day, not all day every day. When it wasn't loud explosions on soundtracks, it was loud music from concerts like Whitney Houston and Celine Dion. I do feel that it takes away from that "relaxed" vacation feeling. Especially on the more tropical themed cruises, wouldn't you rather have a steel drum band to listen to?

We love MUTS but granted we are not the type to hang out poolside. It really is best at night, and I do often wonder why they use it so much during the day, it seems unnecessary.

In fairness, the MUTS is positioned near the main pool, which on ships without MUTS tends to the party area with lots of loud games and music. I'm not sure that area is ever an oasis of relaxation.

MUTS certainly is loud in the vicinity of that pool but that is the only place I ever noticed it. Sittiing anywhere else on the same deck still allows you to 'escape completely'. Reading some of the threads the impression is that it can be hear all over the ship on that deck whereas it is prettymuch localized to the one pool area.

Loud, loud, loud, but, luckily, it's fairly localized, and the ship is big. There are plenty of places to escape it. But I really hate what they've done with the MUTS pool on the ships that were built with it...no glass ceiling, no sense of a spa at all, just lots of noise. And, frankly, there aren't that many good sight lines. Most of the people lounging there get the noise but not the picture.

In all fairness, I also detest having the TV droning on at home it we're not actually actively watching it. I just don't like that constant noise. With the special effects in today's movies, the sound from MUTS just reverberates in the pool area.

Now, football games, especially playoffs...those are wonderful on MUTS. Kind of like being at a sports bar. And I'll never forget watching the inauguration on MUTS last January (the only time I've seen CNN or any news on MUTS).

Mostly, I'm not a huge fan of it, but I can happily spend my time elsewhere content in the knowledge that some people flock to it like a bug to light. It certainly helps disperse people.

MUTS certainly is loud in the vicinity of that pool but that is the only place I ever noticed it. Sittiing anywhere else on the same deck still allows you to 'escape completely'. Reading some of the threads the impression is that it can be hear all over the ship on that deck whereas it is prettymuch localized to the one pool area.

Sorry, billet, I see my first thoughts echo yours, just a few minutes later. That's what happens when you start typing a post, then pause midway through to answer the phone! I guess we are of like minds on MUTS. :)

Love it, the best thing on the ship night or day. Night football games were incredible watching with the stars above and the ocean around you. Movies in the afternoon when there is nothing to do on the ship when not in port were great. If I want to relax and have the quiet then I sit on my balcony.

If it were just showing movies in the evening, I'd have no problem with it. However, they blast all day...it's noisy, distracting and annoying.

Personally, I avoid that area at all costs preferring a quieter location to enjoy a book or the sound of the sea.

Love the "adult only" areas found on most ships located away from all that...but I wouldn't pay for the privilege.

We love MUTS! We often spend entire days at the MUTS pool watching movies and reading our books/magazines. I have never found it too loud. On our May 2009 cruise on CB, movies started mid-morning and went all day into the night. Most of the daytime movies were older but newer movies were also shown including Made of Honor. Concert videos of Tina Turner and Elton John were also played a few times. There were no news broadcasts or sports shown.

I know most of the posters here don't care for MUTS but my family is a big fan of MUTS. We go on several cruises a year and will only book a cruise on a ship with MUTS.

I am also a fan of MUTS. During the day, I normally don't sit directly by the pools, preferring less congested deck space. But the few times I wandered by the MUTS pool during the day, it seemed no more intrusive than the live music and games happening at the companion pool. Of course, there is always the adults only pool on the stern for a quieter experience.

In the evenings, MUTS was a great option. I really enjoyed sitting under the stars, watching movies and munching on popcorn.

We love MUTS, especially during football season. We enjoy staying up late, so we can go to the show and then hit the late movie. Since we usually eat early, we usually go to the Caribe Cafe, which is open for a late snack.

I have only been on Sapphire and loved every second of my experience. I'm booked on Oct.2010 to Hawaii on the Golden.:)

At first I was excited about MUTS as I've never experienced that but I've read here that they play news and sports all day long and I'm wondering if it is annoying, interesting, wonderful or what? I hate hearing news all day long as I find it depressing while on vacation when I just want to chill and forget the real world for a week or two.

What do they show on MUTS during the day?

I'm really looking forward to this cruise with 6 of my CC members from the Sapphire....how great is that? Woo Hoo!:D

You won’t find the news playing all day, it is more like concerts, movies sometimes even advertisements (like the Reflections DVD):rolleyes:

Is it annoying, interesting or wonderful? My opinion…

Annoying – no, it is in one tiny area of a big ship, if you find it that annoying, simply move.

Interesting – definitely yes…it is amazing how clear the picture is with the sun blaring on it all day.

Wonderful – sort of…..consider it as an extra venue to change from listening to the pool band, or something different at night out on deck.

As far as the loudness issue, that all depends on what you consider to be too loud. People find the wake too loud:rolleyes: or dining rooms, music in the theatres, pool bands, etc. It’s all subjective just like food.

However, some of the comments, like moving to an entire different deck, can’t hold a conversation, heard MUTS on my balcony (yes read that once or twice) are way exaggerated. The sound is contained within that area, that is it. And that is not just my opinion, that is a FACT.

I have to disagree, it may stay "localized" in the outdoor area, no you can't hear it on the back of the ship etc. I assume you may be able to hear it on a balcony closer to that area, but can't speak for that, but if you sit at the other "covered" pool, yes, you can more than hear it. Its very loud, even while sitting at the other pool, my thought behond this is that it most likely echos through with the metal covering but you most certainly can hear it, loud and clear. Its obnoxious.

if you sit at the other "covered" pool, yes, you can more than hear it. Its very loud, even while sitting at the other pool, my thought behond this is that it most likely echos through with the metal covering but you most certainly can hear it, loud and clear. Its obnoxious.

Okay, I think I see a small silver lining for my case....

I will be on the RUBY, and both pools are open, right.

And, they are separated by a mid-area.

Now I think I see the disagreement about the amount of sound and how far it travels...

It is the difference in ships. (And the whim of whomever sets the sound level....)

Ohhhh goodness, PLEASE tell me that on the Ruby that MUTS will not be annoying over the whole pool deck!!!!

For the other ships where the sound is a problem... :mad:

I know that some people might enjoy MUTS...

But, IMHO, that is no reason to have it NONSTOP, all MUTS, all the time.

Good Lord, where is the respect and middle ground.

You won’t find the news playing all day, it is more like concerts, movies sometimes even advertisements (like the Reflections DVD):rolleyes:

Is it annoying, interesting or wonderful? My opinion…

Annoying – no, it is in one tiny area of a big ship, if you find it that annoying, simply move.

Interesting – definitely yes…it is amazing how clear the picture is with the sun blaring on it all day.

Wonderful – sort of…..consider it as an extra venue to change from listening to the pool band, or something different at night out on deck.

As far as the loudness issue, that all depends on what you consider to be too loud. People find the wake too loud:rolleyes: or dining rooms, music in the theatres, pool bands, etc. It’s all subjective just like food.

However, some of the comments, like moving to an entire different deck, can’t hold a conversation, heard MUTS on my balcony (yes read that once or twice) are way exaggerated. The sound is contained within that area, that is it. And that is not just my opinion, that is a FACT.

Really have to agree here! Perhaps some people have a very overly sensitive hearing....but never had a problem with MUTS! Have really enjoyed it when we wanted to and had no problem avoiding it when we wanted to!! If you move to the other pool area, MUTS never interfered with our enjoyment of music or just pure relaxation. As far as hearing it beyond the pool areas, you must have had a "bionic" hearing implant:rolleyes:

Archived