Pro's & Con's...MUTS ?

WinnieinWA

Seems we have some major differences in opinion .... thank (insert preference in religious head honcho) that we now have the 'Sanctuary' where we can (hopefully) find some peace and quiet.

Seems a shame though because as a smoker I met many of the most interesting people while exiled to the smokers side of the ship, this was strangely enough usually more crowded than the non-smoking side. (can smokers possibly be more sociable?).

Can also understand that they may show more daytime movies etc during cruises that fall within school vacation times but don't know if that is the case........

Here is my prediction for the coming years with Muts, as more families try Princess. Kids are going to love the pool and movies, since this is one of two pools for them. Some parents who have seen the movies or live with Disney 24/7 are going to be sick of it. They are going to leave the kids to enjoy Muts and find the other quiet areas. When possible they might take some of the kids with them, as I did. Before long the post will be, try and find a quiet area. Before long kids and parents are going to be blamed. No one will remember that parents were happy at the pool with the kids before Muts. This is Princess answer to Carnival water slide and they are about to move a part of the kids club on deck. This could be their plan because less kids in the kids program means less staffing. They are showing a lot of Disney movies all day. Prince$$ thou art brillaint:D

It was meant to be under the stars, why not keep it there?

I have to trust that Princess knows what they are doing, after all they are making a considerable amount of money and have decided to retrofit the rest of the fleet with MUTS.:p

MUTS has been overwhelmingly accepted by a majority of their passengers.

Mike:)

As far as hearing it beyond the pool areas, you must have had a "bionic" hearing implant:rolleyes:
LOL, this is the same response I gave to the poster (or shall I say pot stirrer) who said he/she heard Movies under the Stars on their balcony!

I have to trust that Princess knows what they are doing, after all they are making a considerable amount of money and have decided to retrofit the rest of the fleet with MUTS.:p

MUTS has been overwhelmingly accepted by a majority of their passengers.

Mike:)

Totally agree.

LOL, this is the same response I gave to the poster (or shall I say pot stirrer) who said he/she heard Movies under the Stars on their balcony!

With all due respect, no need for name calling. From food to bedding, people have different likes and tolerace. I am sure this is a business decision and hopefully will produce income to Princess. This could be an attempt to attract more families. Many kids would like to watch a movie while swimming right after eating. Carnival has the water slide, RCCL has everything possible on deck and Princess now has Muts. It's really the only thing that screams/blares FUN on Princess. Kids will love it, mine did! Muts on deck could be like jeans in the dining room. They are around for a reason. No disrescpect intended!

:confused: Wondering if they are still doing MUTS the same way on SEA Princess they did a couple of years ago? By DAY anyone who wished to HEAR had to wear headphones.

In January we were on Emerald for 20 days and honestly never noticed MUTS at all. Probably because we used a different pool area.

Is it annoying, interesting or wonderful? My opinion…

Annoying – no, it is in one tiny area of a big ship, if you find it that annoying, simply move.

Interesting – definitely yes…it is amazing how clear the picture is with the sun blaring on it all day.

Wonderful – sort of…..consider it as an extra venue to change from listening to the pool band, or something different at night out on deck.

As far as the loudness issue, that all depends on what you consider to be too loud. People find the wake too loud:rolleyes: or dining rooms, music in the theatres, pool bands, etc. It’s all subjective just like food.

However, some of the comments, like moving to an entire different deck, can’t hold a conversation, heard MUTS on my balcony (yes read that once or twice) are way exaggerated. The sound is contained within that area, that is it. And that is not just my opinion, that is a FACT.

You are, of course, allowed your opinion. However, put me in the group that thinks it's loud, obnoxious and awful. If you go to the buffet for lunch or even dinner, and want to sit right outside where there are tables and chairs, there is no way you can have a conversation or relaxing meal. According to you, I should go elsewhere. Sorry, I'm not going to carry my food halfway through the ship to the other pool area or back through the buffet and Cafe Caribe. There's nothing worse than trying to enjoy lunch (or dinner) and having a WII contest blasting and a total of 7 people actually watching.

The pool area where MUTS is located is uncovered, which means that it's usable only when the ship is sailing in warm climates. (On some Grand-class ships, that's a covered pool.) MOST Princess cruises don't so that's a huge amount of space (not a "tiny" area when it's cold and/or raining and passengers have few places to go) unavailable to passengers when it's less-than-ideal conditions (which happens more frequently than you think.)

I know I sound like a broken record (or is that expression now "broken CD"?) because I feel like I post a similar comment every time this discussion arises, but I just have to mention it again. On ships designed for MUTS, it's fine -- I didn't care for hearing it during the day on the Crown but there was another outdoor pool just a few steps away. But on the Star and the Golden, there is no other uncovered pool that gets direct sun all day: the Calypso Cove pool or whatever it's called is indoor, the aft pool is shaded by Skywalkers, and the spa pool is small, can have sun/shade issues because of its location, which is a bit claustrophic and deprives you of any view of the ocean. So if you prefer to sit in the sun and/or swim in a pool with water warmed by the sun, you're forced to endure MUTS. So just going to another pool isn't always an workable option, which I wish more posters would recognize before they blithely dismiss legitimate concerns about the addition of MUTS to every ship.

Amen.... to the above post.

There is simply no excuse for the lack of reprieve from all MUTS... all DAY....

I don't care if there are some number of people who may enjoy it...

To have this thing blaring over such a large public area, constantly... all day, all night, with no respect for those who may not prefer it is, in one word DISRESPECTFUL.

I have said this before... I agree with KoolJamming... this is Princess' lame excuse for cheap kids/family programming.

Not that I care, but DH probably does. We are sailing Nov 4, and possibly the World Series will still be on. Might it be possible that they show it? For my sake, I hope not, but for DH's, he would be in heaven. :)

From what I have heard on CC, they do show the Series on MUTS. It will probably be over by then since the Yankees are playing (and will win in straight games). I will be sailing on CB the week before you so I think it will be quite interesting to watch te series with them on the cruise.

Yes, I am from NY (if you couldn't guess).

A huge thank you to those of you who responded. After reading all the responses I'm sure I'll like seeing a movie under the stars at night with a blankie and popcorn. I will most likely hate seeing a movie or sports played all day long. I'll spend my time at the adult pool. And I have a balcony this cruise! Woo Hoo!

I agree with the posters who say it's a babysitter. Families don't talk to each other enough as it is and now they don't have to talk on vacation. :(

I like seeing playoffs as much as anyone but don't the ships have sports bars just for that purpose? My last cruise was while the Kentucky derby was running....they showed a poker tourney in the sports bar...go figure! LOL

Well, it doesn't really matter because I'm going to Hawaii with CC friends and I'll have the best time of my life.

Thanks so much for your valued opinions.:)

My argument is not so much with teh blaring sound as much as it is just bad... very 'muddy' and hard to understand. Maybe I was just sitting in the wrong place.

On Caribbean Princess, we watched 'Good Night and Good Luck' which was all talking, and understood very little of it

OK ... I give up ... I've read all the posts ... some enjoy "MUTS" ... some hate "MUTS" ... some look forward to sports on "MUTS" ... I no newbie to cruising ... but this is a new one on me ... what IS MUTS????? :confused:

MUTS - Meant to be Movies Under the Stars but turned in MADD - Movies All Darn Day!

It has to be loud enough for it to be heard by everyone, which means too loud to enjoy a leisurely conversation

2416753170101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

I personally like MUTS, though I do see the argument posed here by those who dislike it. I thought it was totally useless on my Alaska cruise on the Star: movies were on all day to an audience of zero, and only a handful of people braved the cold at night to watch. It seems kind of silly to me that Princess spent so much time and effort to install MUTS on the Star and Golden before their Alaskan seasons, where it's essentially useless.

I agree that it's best on ships that were designed for it (Emerald, Ruby). Because it's located at the second pool, the sound drifts back and has less chance of invading the other pools. I envisioned MUTS to be very loud, but was surprised at how nicely contained it was - you couldn't hear the noise at the other pools or on the other decks nearby. On the Grand class, it does take over the only pool that's completely open to the sun, which is unfortunate, but where else could they put it? Regardless, Princess seems to like it quite a bit, and I would be surprised if all the ships (minus the R-ships) get it eventually.

To those who dislike MUTS, I'm genuinely curious (not being snarky here): what would you like to see happen? Less movies played during the day, or that they just stop installing MUTS on ships?

I personally like MUTS, though I do see the argument posed here by those who dislike it. I thought it was totally useless on my Alaska cruise on the Star: movies were on all day to an audience of zero, and only a handful of people braved the cold at night to watch. It seems kind of silly to me that Princess spent so much time and effort to install MUTS on the Star and Golden before their Alaskan seasons, where it's essentially useless.

I agree that it's best on ships that were designed for it (Emerald, Ruby). Because it's located at the second pool, the sound drifts back and has less chance of invading the other pools. I envisioned MUTS to be very loud, but was surprised at how nicely contained it was - you couldn't hear the noise at the other pools or on the other decks nearby. On the Grand class, it does take over the only pool that's completely open to the sun, which is unfortunate, but where else could they put it? Regardless, Princess seems to like it quite a bit, and I would be surprised if all the ships (minus the R-ships) get it eventually.

To those who dislike MUTS, I'm genuinely curious (not being snarky here): what would you like to see happen? Less movies played during the day, or that they just stop installing MUTS on ships?

How about installing a radio based system with headsets for rent? That way for the audio during the day, if you want to hear what is being broadcast on the screen, you could, but the audio would be silent for others. At night they could still turn it up as they do today.

I personally like MUTS, though I do see the argument posed here by those who dislike it. I thought it was totally useless on my Alaska cruise on the Star: movies were on all day to an audience of zero, and only a handful of people braved the cold at night to watch.

Where is the screen located on the Star?

How about installing a radio based system with headsets for rent? That way for the audio during the day, if you want to hear what is being broadcast on the screen, you could, but the audio would be silent for others. At night they could still turn it up as they do today.

They already did this on a couple of ships when it first came out and it did not work.

A covered pool area on those ships where MUTS is installed over the Calypso Reef and Pool; continuous band entertainment on those ships where MUTS is installed over the Neptune Reef and Pool.

I've been on several cruises where it was too cold/chilly and/or rainy to sit outside and without a covered pool area, all those people are then crowded inside, often staking out tables in the buffet or chairs in the Atrium all day. Without a large public section of the ship available, hundreds of people have to find somewhere else to go. It's not pretty and IMHO, can ruin your cruise experience and gives the impression that the ship is over-crowded.

Before the advent of MUTS, and on ships before they were converted to MUTS, there were movies every day in one of the lounges, usually the Princess theater. There's never been a shortage of movies to see on any Princess ship. Heck, the older ships had dedicated movie theaters which were used just to show movies in the afternoons and evenings.

Archived