Thanksgiving Onboard?

gebo

Fantastic meal onboard the Noordam last year. It fell on embarkation day so it wasn't a formal night. We enjoyed a traditional turkey dinner with all of the trimmings. The dining room was decorated to go with the theme as well.....lots of pumpkins and pilgrims.

I was on the Volendam for Thanksgiving serveral years ago--much to my sister's chagrin--and I remember the ship being decorated for Thanksgiving. I remember the Turkey dinner and the Football games coming in directly from the sattelite and being shown in the big

Lounge the Theatre forward. I loved it!

We have been on several cruises for Thanksgiving.

Some ships the dining room was nicely decorated -- others -- very little in the way of decorations.

I've been on just one Thanksgiving cruise - Zuiderdam 3 years ago. I don't remember seeing any decorations (other than the "tropical turkey" on my own door) but we did have a choice of turkey for dinner.

I'll be doing it again this year on the Westerdam and will be taking the same door decoration along. Here's hoping the ship will be more festive!

We have been on several cruises for Thanksgiving.

Some ships the dining room was nicely decorated -- others -- very little in the way of decorations.

...bearing in mind that not everyone on board is from the US. I often wonder what those from the US would say if the ship was full of Morris Dancers on St Georges Day or Divali was being celebrated.

We will be on the MS Maasdam repositioning cruise starting October 10. During the early part of our cruise will be Canada's Thanksgiving Day. Anyone have any experience whether the ship will have a Canadian Thanksgiving celebration? There will be many Canadians onboard as the cruise begins in Montreal.

and have skipped the turkey dinners on HAL as they use a prepackaged meat that has no skin and I don't think has drum sticks either. It's like turkey roll. What a disappointment. This year we're trying Princess and hope we get real birds cooked on board. The decorations are fine.

and have skipped the turkey dinners on HAL as they use a prepackaged meat that has no skin and I don't think has drum sticks either. It's like turkey roll. What a disappointment. This year we're trying Princess and hope we get real birds cooked on board. The decorations are fine.

Glad you mentioned this first -- I know that if I did -- I would be flamed.

Yes -- it is processed meat -- and we also don't eat it.

We have spent 2 Thanksgivings onboard and they were both great. I did the traditional turkey dinner once and it was OK. Someone told HAL that ALL American's love brussel sprouts, so there seemed to be millions of brussel sprouts and I hate them. :D Had a great day of watching football and relaxing. Looking forward to doing it again.

We have spent 2 Thanksgivings onboard and they were both great. I did the traditional turkey dinner once and it was OK. Someone told HAL that ALL American's love brussel sprouts, so there seemed to be millions of brussel sprouts and I hate them. :D Had a great day of watching football and relaxing. Looking forward to doing it again.

MMMM Brussel Sprouts!

We are big on "Tradition" in our family so suggesting a Thanksgiving or Christmas cruise would be boardering on sacrilege! BUT if there were Brussell Sprouts I just might risk it!

We will be on the MS Maasdam repositioning cruise starting October 10. During the early part of our cruise will be Canada's Thanksgiving Day. Anyone have any experience whether the ship will have a Canadian Thanksgiving celebration?

I've been aboard on Canadian Thanksgiving once or twice. There is turkey dinner on the menu, and there was pumpkin pie for dessert.

I can't say this happens on every ship, every year, but it's been that way when I was there.

Tasted pretty good, too!

I've been aboard on Canadian Thanksgiving once or twice. There is turkey dinner on the menu, and there was pumpkin pie for dessert.

I can't say this happens on every ship, every year, but it's been that way when I was there.

Tasted pretty good, too!

I've been on a ship for Canadian Thanksgiving once and they also had turkey. I don't care for it on the ship because everything is sweet...ie fruit in it. I like fruit....and REAL turkey....but don't mix them.

I did get a laugh one time on a ship when I told someone we had already had thanksgiving in Canada when it was early Nov. She asked me "what do you call it....ummmmm...Thanksgiving:D:confused:.

We took a Thanksgiving cruise in 2005 on Celebrity Zenith (now no longer part of their fleet). The food on the entire cruise was mediocre to begin with but Thanksgiving dinner was totally disappointing. You just don't get the AROMA of Thanksgiving from a prepackaged turkey roll. I came home from that cruise and immediately cooked a proper Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm a Belgian and sailing on the Noordam the 21 th November. As I understand it, Thanksgiving will be during this cruise. I look forward to enjoying a 'kind of' traditional thanksgiving dinner on board. And I certainly don't mind any decorations. I suppose I will hear from Americans if it is any good (the food and decorations)

I'm a Belgian and sailing on the Noordam the 21 th November. As I understand it, Thanksgiving will be during this cruise. I look forward to enjoying a 'kind of' traditional thanksgiving dinner on board. And I certainly don't mind any decorations. I suppose I will hear from Americans if it is any good (the food and decorations)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Noordam -- a GREAT ship!! We have sailed on her.

If you are in doubt about what to order on Thansgiving day -- just ask your waiter for suggestions -- and he suggests the "traditional" meal -- ask him if it is really that good -- processed food -- and then for another suggestion -- JMO.

...bearing in mind that not everyone on board is from the US. I often wonder what those from the US would say if the ship was full of Morris Dancers on St Georges Day or Divali was being celebrated.

Morris Dancing! I would love that. Learning something new would be such fun, with education of another culture as a side. Bring it on!

Kind regards!

Archived