FYI New Policy - No Scissors ??

mamacat3

Just FYI - Just came back from Enchantment and one piece of my luggage was never showing up although one did and all other parties I was travelling with got theirs. I kept asking about my luggage and no one seemed to know. We were underway and I went to guest services and was told security had my luggage because there was a pair of scissors in it!!?? It is the same pair of scissors that I have travelled with every cruise I have gone on - I was informed that it is a new policy - no scissors and they took it away from me?? I was told when I asked why, that they were not allowing scissors because they didn't want anyone hurting themselves. That was one reason everyone else said they didn't know why. I am really confused but thought I'd give you all a heads up.

Evidently this "new" policy has been in place for a while. I always pack a pair of nail scissors in my cosmetic bag but left them home on my last cruise because I had read here that they were pulling luggage for having scissors in them.

yup, they're now on the list of prohibited items on their website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000IVKCULR9DIWOQcGUPss1ERG:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Luggage&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=348&faqType=faq

what a pain! I can take a small (blade less than 4 inches, which is not all that small!) scissors for my knitting on an airplane, but not on a cruise ship???

Just FYI - Just came back from Enchantment and one piece of my luggage was never showing up although one did and all other parties I was travelling with got theirs. I kept asking about my luggage and no one seemed to know. We were underway and I went to guest services and was told security had my luggage because there was a pair of scissors in it!!?? It is the same pair of scissors that I have travelled with every cruise I have gone on - I was informed that it is a new policy - no scissors and they took it away from me?? I was told when I asked why, that they were not allowing scissors because they didn't want anyone hurting themselves. That was one reason everyone else said they didn't know why. I am really confused but thought I'd give you all a heads up.

My ? is did they hold them til the end of the cruise and return them?

Alaska air made me put my Alaska pocket knife in my check in luggage.

It could be used as a weapon, I was told.

then during the flight got a nice box lunch,

Yep you guessed it, a big ol metal knife, twice the size of that little thing

I was trying to " use as a weapon "

The Fork, oh my that just hurts thinking about that being used,

as a weapon.

Same thing happened to DH on our Mariner cruise in April. It was the same pair of scissors he has taken on multiple cruises and uses them to trim his beard. He went down to security and they asked him what he needed them for and they did let him keep them.

We had to go in search of one of my wifes bags 9/24/09, too. She, also had a pair of scissors in her luggage. We had to identfy the bag, check what was wrong and remove the item. A reciept was issued and we were on our way. Item in question could be picked up after disembarking. They now own a pair of scissors.

We learned a lesson.:rolleyes: oops!!!!

Oh well, rules are rules. At least we were not the only ones, ha ha.

Smile, it was only scissors.

Same thing happened to DH on our Mariner cruise in April. It was the same pair of scissors he has taken on multiple cruises and uses them to trim his beard. He went down to security and they asked him what he needed them for and they did let him keep them.

The site says grooming items allowed.On those it must be hit or miss

:cj

Ok, at the risk of embarrassing myself I have to share my story. I was on the Freedom 9/6 sailing and was having a bad hair week because my bangs were too long. I checked with the spa and a hair cut was $75………and I am way too cheap to pay that when I could do it myself. ;) I kept telling my husband if I came across scissors at the port I was going to buy them and cut my bangs. Well, in St. Maarten about 4 days into the cruise, low and behold a small pair of hair scissors. I bought them for $9 and needless to say, they would not let me take them on. Of course they offered to give them back to me at the end of the cruise which did me absolutely no good since I had some at home. So being the cheap person I am (with only an hour left before the ship was to leave) I decided to take them back. It was a long hot walk back and I decided; they weren’t going to stop me from cutting my bangs so instead of taking them back I found a bathroom and cut my bangs without even a comb. I did a pretty good job. So I go to board the ship again and they had closed the line I tried to board through the first time so I went to a different line. I tell the security person walking by that I have the scissors and I guess then need to take them and she says well just run them though. Guess what, they went right through. Hmmmmm.

I noticed the ban on scissors about a month ago and posted it. From the replies, it seems like there is a lack of consistency in the enforcement. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1041606

I think RC and Celebrity are the only cruiselines currently taking scissors away from people. Hopefully it doesn't catch on.

Is there any particular "incident" on any cruise ship that led to this banning scissors? A mugging? murder? accidental amputation of a finger?

Their "excuse" for not allowing you to bring alcohol on board was to "protect" us from ourselves getting too drunk. Admittedly, they had some expensive lessons when a few people did ruin it for the rest of us. However, I don't think any of us believe for a minute it was banned solely because of those rare instances. I still see as many, if not more, intoxicated cruisers on the ship and I see them bellying up to bars to get refills with no problems. The difference is they are paying the ship to get drunk so it is o.k.

So, does it mean that scissors will now be available for purchase in the gift shop for say, $20 a pair for some plastic blunt nosed ones?

Tucker in Texas

Is there any particular "incident" on any cruise ship that led to this banning scissors? A mugging? murder? accidental amputation of a finger?

I also am wondering what prompted this.

Why doesn't someone pocket the knife from the dinner table and see if they count the silver and come looking for the knife?

No scissors, this is absurd. I can get all the knives I want in the dining room and they won't let me bring scissors on board. What a joke. Perhaps the next great idea will be to serve all the food medieval style without any silverware at all. We can just slurp the soup right out of the bowl and eat everything else with our fingers. Unless they bring back the old "ranch" steaks that you need a laser to cut through......:mad: If they won't give me a knife I'll just order a bottle of wine and break it on the table and use the broken edge to cut my food.....:eek:

When will this "security" insanity end?

Airlines allow very small sissors and cruise ships don't? That's nuts!

Next year I will be on b2b cruises for a total of 28 days. They'd better let me take my nail scissors on board,or my claws will scratch the decks!;)

Archived