Category D - Porthole

jmm

We have not been in an inside or porthole cabin before, but we have some general idea and have looked at the prices. A porthole is not openable to the outside, meaning you will not get fresh sea air or listen to the rhythm of the waves below. The glass in the round porthole is often warped, so you won't be able to take good pictures out of it. Other than seeing light from outside and some vague idea on whether you are on open sea or docked, you gain very little compared to an inside cabin.

Oceania cruise fares include air fare. The lower category fares are quite economical after you deduct the air fare, this is especially true when the air fare portion is high. On sans air basis, the porthole premium over the inside cabin, which is quite a few hundred to over a thousans dollars for long voyages, becomes a large fraction of the cruise price itself. Therefore, it will be economically more sensible to take the lowest inside cabin if you are not going to have a balcony anyway. A low deck (category G) inside cabin is in fact more desirable than a high deck one (category F), because they are identical, and the lower one has the benefit of being steadier on rough seas!

P.S. If you are clautrophobic or have become tired of being in an enclosed cabin with no sight of what happens outside, you might well consider the porthole, quite a few people prefer them too.

In the Category D cabins does closing of the porthole completely block the light? I love inside cabins for sleeping and I am hoping that the porthole offers the best of both worlds!

I am not sure what you are asking

There are curtains you close in front of the porthole

We usually have Deck 4 cabin with a window sometime the light will seep around the curtain in the morning but not too much.

If that is a problem for you maybe an inside is better

check the website look for Oceanview 1 for a picture of the cabin

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/regatta/staterooms/oceanview.aspx

I think the OP is thinking he can close the porthole from the inside? I have never been in such a cabin but on the Minerva to Antarctica, due to rough seas they closed the portholes (or actually pulled shutters over them) but they were on the outside so had to be done by crew. Have had family in window or oceanview cabins and there was only a curtain over the window. Does that answer the question?

-----------------

Helen

In the Category D cabins does closing of the porthole completely block the light? I love inside cabins for sleeping and I am hoping that the porthole offers the best of both worlds!

Having stayed in a Category D cabin I can say that the porthole, which is always closed, does not block the light. The curtains which are light blocking curtains do keep out outside morning light. So you do get the best of both worlds, outside, ambient light and light blocking curtains for sleeping. It is also quiet, we never experienced any loud or bothersome noises in steerage! We did like the cabin and have booked the same category for our 2010 cruise.

Great Picture StanandJim!

The picture shows that there is something on the inside of the porthole that closes - I was wondering is that is a light blocking feature....I completely understand that the porthole would not open to the outside.

Thanks!

JMM-

What you are seeing above the porthole is called a BLANK.

The blank is a watertight shutter which is closed in very rough weather to stop seawater from getting into the ship should waves crack the glass of the porthole.

The porthole cabins, being on the lowest passenger deck, are naturally closest to the waterline

Regatta-02_MR_900.jpg

They are also called "deadlights" in some circles.

They may well be lowered and latched in heavy seas.

Many years ago (Jan 95), we were in a porthole cabin on the original Pacific Princess (The Love Boat), and the steward closed the deadlights when we crossed the Tasman Sea. The Tasman Sea does have a reputation for being rough on occasion.

What is illustrative in the picture of the ship is how small are the windows (deck 4) compared with balcony openings (deck 6 and up), and how miniscule the portholes (deck 3) are. Portholes are what the name says, a hole to see the port! Well, of course, it lets in some natural light, which may help one's bio-synchronization with time, and reduce claustrophobia for those who has it.

Regatta-02_MR_900.jpg

This pic is really great for drilling down on exterior details. I've got the deckplans for Regatta in hand & I notice from the pic that the balconies appear to have different enclosures. The railings on Deck 6 balconies seem to be all glass, top to bottom. Ditto for those on Deck 7 aft. But other Deck 7 balconies appear to have at least partial metal enclosure at the bottom & glass at top. It seems that Deck 8 balconies also have partial metal. Does it affect views? I can't imagine mid-ship Deck 7 & Deck 8 balconies would be inferior as they are a higher cat. Am I seeing this right?

All of the balcony railings on the sides of the ship are glass with metal bracing.

At the bow and the stern, the railings are all metal, for added protection against the elements.

2974450425_e81e744ed0.jpgsite_1_rand_1489468793_nautica_pirate_attack_0212_googleimages.jpg

The metal railings do impact the view, somewhat, particularly for shorter people, who apparently cannot see over the railings while seated (the cut off seems to be 5'8-ish).

Thanks StanandJim. Very helpful.

My interest is Deck 7 mid-ship balconies. Ya know, it still seems to me from the pic that these have more metal & less glass on the railing than either Deck 6 balconies or Deck 7 balconies aft of mid-ship. I'm referring only to the side balconies, not bow or stern. If you follow the metal line of the balconies on Deck 7, it seems to get narrower with more glass for the last 13 cabins at the rear of the ship. Those last few Deck 7 balconies seem to have more open views.

We really enjoyed the views from our Deck 6 veranda on our June cruise in the Med, particularly the spectacular 7 AM sail-in to Valletta Harbor in Malta. However, with no sea days on our next cruise, at the end of April, 14 days Venice to Barcelona, I prefer to spend the "veranda money" elsewhere, such as on the extra days we are planning in Venice and Barcelona at each end of the cruise.

That is because when I added up the amount of time I spent sitting on our veranda on our 12-day cruise, it probably totalled less than five hours. (Granted, when cruising with Mr. Military History, one returns to the ship near sailing time, and, in June, we would usually head to the pool for a dip before showering and dressing for dinner.)

We have been on Deck 6 & 7 (side cabins)the railings are metal no glass

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/240...01934561ZHIGor

I usually sit with my feet on the rungs ;)

Lyn,

We bow to your superior experience, vis a' vis the railings. Our last trip in a Penthouse was in '05, and our verandah had the glass (could it be a suite thing?)

166532716jsarcC_ph.jpg

We bow to your superior experience, vis a' vis the railings. Our last trip in a Penthouse was in '05, and our verandah had the glass (could it be a suite thing?)

166532716jsarcC_ph.jpg

Thank you:D

If you zoom in on the picture in the link you will see deck 8 also has railings this was the Regatta so maybe the Nautica had the glass or you had too many Martini's ;)

We have only been on Insignia & Regatta maybe some who actually had a PH can comment

Lyn

If you zoom in on the picture in the link you will see deck 8 also has railings this was the Regatta so maybe the Nautica had the glass or you had too many Martini's ;)

We have only been on Insignia & Regatta maybe some who actually had a PH can comment

Lyn

I was in 8055 and do not recall any glass. Searching for pictures of my balcony.

Lyn

I zoomed in and took a picture as I couldn't see to save what I had done. :confused:

IMG_0865.jpg.ef46670839da2d57bfe340c0d478424b.jpg

I think Jim had too many Martini's or he is thinking of another ship
Lyn-

I admit to a weakness for Martini's (particularly those prepared by the incomparable Antonio on the Nautica :D ).

To defend what I laughingly call my honor, however, I must point out that these ships have led very rugged lives under three distinct sets of owners

(Renaissance, CruiseInvest & Oceania).

Although, for ease of discussion, we refer to all three ships as identical, I'm sure that there are a myriad of details in which they actually differ very slightly.

Lyn-

Although, for ease of discussion, we refer to all three ships as identical, I'm sure that there are a myriad of details in which they actually differ very slightly.

As I stated I have not been on the Nautica so they may have glass on the balcony instead of metal railings.

We were on the insignia in 2004 all decks had the railings (side cabins)

Yes they could have changed

Maybe someone who has sailed the Nautica can confirm the type of railings on the Nautica now.

I do not think it make a big difference in the overall enjoyment but to some it may :D

Lyn

Archived