Mariner welcome aboard brunch

CRUZBUDS

I agree. I've read that the Vista class ships have always served in the dining room on embarkation day, but we have been on the Oosterdam and the Westerdam and had no idea we could go the MDR. It was never communicated.

I´m onboard Statendam now. At embarkation, the dining room manager was near the gangway directing people to take the elevator to the Lido. There was bno mention of the main dining room. When I asked, he made it sound like I should have known I could always eat up there. There were only four tables occupied at 12:30. Menu looked like a standard lunch menu.

In the cabin there was a brochure outlining all the new MAriner benefits including the lunch, but by then the dining room was closed.

Very poor communication.

J

I don't think it's much of a secret that most lines steer passengers to the Lido on the first day. A few years back we were on DCL and you would have thought I was asking if the man would be willing to commit murder for me when I asked if we could dine in the MDR. It was bizarre!

In 2008 on the Oosterdam, we embarked in San Diego for a cruise to the Mexican Riviera.

After boarding, we asked where the MDR was and went to it....they were serving lunch and it was delightful...quite uncrowded. I was under the impression this was a regular occurence on these ships.

I agree. I've read that the Vista class ships have always served in the dining room on embarkation day, but we have been on the Oosterdam and the Westerdam and had no idea we could go the MDR. It was never communicated.

In 2008 when we boarded the Westerdam we also had no idea that lunch was being served in the main dining room -- no mention of it anywhere -- not even by our concierges.

We found out about it when we got to our cabin and there was a menu on our bed!! Too late then -- the dining room was already closed.

I guess this is a bit of a "duh" moment for me. I've never, ever gave any thought to eating lunch in the MDR on embarkation. I had no idea that the MDR was open for lunch. Quite frankly eating lunch in the Lido has become kind of part of our embarkation day routine and ritual. Weather permitting we really like being "outside" with a view of the port and watching, in a positive sense, and sometimes meeting our fellow passengers. There's this air of excitement and anticipation on the Lido of the upcoming cruise we really like so I'm not sure we'd ever go to the MDR. :)

and is a first rate event with awards given to people who have cruised a lot. Much better than the old cocktail party where you were lucky if you got a drink and 1 canape.

Under the new Mariner program, there actually are two Mariner brunches ... one in the main dining room on embarkation day and the other brunch is the event that replaces the previous champagne reception. I surmise that the embarkation brunch is little more than a less crowded option to the Lido, while recognitions are dealt with during the other Mariner brunch.

I like the idea of being at the Lido after boarding. What I don't like is the crowd and the seating being so limited. The same with the morning of debarkation. It is just too crowded. The last cruise we were on, the seat we could find at lunch was in the back corner of the aft bar. We soon found out why it was not taken. They were cleaning the toilet and the smell would definitely ruin your appetite.

In 2008 on the Oosterdam, we embarked in San Diego for a cruise to the Mexican Riviera.

I was under the impression this was a regular occurence on these ships.

Until the new Mariner program started, it was a regular occurence only on the Vista ships. After Oct 18th it will be on all ships.

Until the new Mariner program started, it was a regular occurence only on the Vista ships. After Oct 18th it will be on all ships.

No wonder I wasn't aware...only one cruise on a Vista class and that was five years ago. We like the "S" and "R" ships better. :) Still will probably stick with the Lido on our next cruise on the Prinsendam.

Archived