Mariner welcome aboard brunch

CRUZBUDS

CC'er clogaltocruise is currently on the Satendam and as reported the following:

The lunch on embarkation day in the MDR was off the lunch menu. We didn't partake but did go there to check it out. I spoke with the Maitre D and he said it was basically their usual embarkation MDR lunch and that pretty much anyone could dine there. The upper level was open and the hours were from noon to 1:00 or 1:30 p.m.

Her thread can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1066420

So.... if I understand, the new benefit is that the main dining room is now open for lunch on all ships on embarkation day? That's good. Lots of folks prefer dining room to Lido and it will make Lido less crowded for those of us who like to go to Lido after Embarking. For some reason, I really like lunch there just after we board as I take a lot of positive energy from everyone's excitement and happiness to be aboard. That more than balances out crowded or loud or whatever, for me.

Great all dining rooms are now open. :)

So.... if I understand, the new benefit is that the main dining room is now open for lunch on all ships on embarkation day? That's good. Lots of folks prefer dining room to Lido and it will make Lido less crowded for those of us who like to go to Lido after Embarking. For some reason, I really like lunch there just after we board as I take a lot of positive energy from everyone's excitement and happiness to be aboard. That more than balances out crowded or loud or whatever, for me.

Great all dining rooms are now open. :)

Ummm...when we embarked on our cruise in May, EVERYONE that was boarding was taken in to the MDR for lunch. We didn't have a choice. Maybe those that boarded later went to the Lido, I dunno, we didn't ask.

According to the brochure we received in the mail today, there is supposed to be some special Welcome Back embarkation brunch for mariner society members.

EVERYONE that was boarding was taken in to the MDR for lunch

Wow, was it pretty crowded? I can't imagine what it would be like with everyone there more or less at the same time. I know that some board early, some board late, but there's usually a BIG bunch boarding at the same time. How long did it take to get seated, and served?

Personally, I like to grab a bit of food at the Lido and enjoy the aft deck. Though I did do the MDR on our Alaska cruise, as it was open, outdoors was a bit chilly and there were 12 of us in the MDR :) (those fortunate enough to have boarded before the chaos in the terminal became terminal)

this will be my first, like most, the opportunity for a Mariner's Brunch. Previous cruises I've just gone on board had a drink on the Lido and went to the cabin. Then I found something to munch on until dinner. The other difference this time is I will be in town the day before -- so a new experience. I always figure travel is an adventure. So let's just get on the 'DAM' boat. That is my goal.

Ummm...when we embarked on our cruise in May, EVERYONE that was boarding was taken in to the MDR for lunch. We didn't have a choice. Maybe those that boarded later went to the Lido, I dunno, we didn't ask.

According to the brochure we received in the mail today, there is supposed to be some special Welcome Back embarkation brunch for mariner society members.

;) Interesting.

We sailed Maasdam three cruises this summer, two in June and one in August, and all three we went to Lido for Lunch.

We sail Westerdam next month. We'll see what happens there.

Wow, was it pretty crowded? I can't imagine what it would be like with everyone there more or less at the same time. I know that some board early, some board late, but there's usually a BIG bunch boarding at the same time. How long did it take to get seated, and served?

We were in group 4, boarded within 15 - 20 minutes of the ship beginning boarding passengers. Maybe it was because we were the early birds? It wasn't crowded when we entered the MDR, but it was full when we were done eating. I think they might have just allowed a certain # of us in the MDR?

For our Alaska cruise in June on Zuiderdam, we ate in the dining room after embarking. Very few people there at 12:15 just quiet and relaxed, plus our dining companions were wonderful conversationalists. A lot of people didn't realize the dining room was open-it was a CC secret :)

We were in group 4, boarded within 15 - 20 minutes of the ship beginning boarding passengers. Maybe it was because we were the early birds? It wasn't crowded when we entered the MDR, but it was full when we were done eating. I think they might have just allowed a certain # of us in the MDR?

No...... That probably isn't the explanation for the difference as we are always among the very, very first aboard. Just a difference from ship to ship, maybe.

We'll see what they do when we board Westerdam next month. They wouldn't ever 'make' someone go to the dining room if they don't wish.

I'm still curious if there is a difference between the lunch in the MDR that people have had previously and the new Mariner Welcome Aboard Brunch.

This is only our second Holland America cruise, we've never seen a dinning room open on embarkation day on any of our 20+ cruises. The exception is travel agent tours. Celebrity used to those quit often and they would invite the B2B people. They were great with free flowing wine and filet migeon.

No...... That probably isn't the explanation for the difference as we are always among the very, very first aboard. Just a difference from ship to ship, maybe.

We'll see what they do when we board Westerdam next month. They wouldn't ever 'make' someone go to the dining room if they don't wish.

Sail ... in the past, when the MDR was open at embarkation, I believe it only was on the Vista ships and perhaps on the Eurodam. I do not believe it was open on the S and R class ships.

What happens if some of your party has never sailed HAL before.................will they split you up??????

No. Apparently as long as you are under the same booking number you are both invited.

I had lunch in the dining room after boarding the Amsterdam in Seattle this summer.

It was lovely, and only 4 or 5 other tables were occupied.

The service was excellent, food and wine wonderful, and it was

blissfullly quiet.

I had lunch in the dining room after boarding the Amsterdam in Seattle this summer.

It was lovely, and only 4 or 5 other tables were occupied.

The service was excellent, food and wine wonderful, and it was

blissfullly quiet.

That has been our experience too. A very small number of pax in the MDR for lunch on embarkation day.

The menu is quite limited, as I recall, perhaps three entrees.

It was peaceful, and for DH, who is in a wheelchair, wonderfully accessible.

The new Mariners Program is beginning on various dates.... some ships a little sooner than others but all will be participating very soon.

Vista ships have been serving lunch in Main Dining Room on Embarkation Day, apparently, before now but the "S" and "R" ships have not. The new Mariners Program makes Embarkation Lunch/Brunch fleetwide.

People still can opt to go to Lido, if they wish.

It will make Lido more pleasant if fewer people are there.

I´m onboard Statendam now. At embarkation, the dining room manager was near the gangway directing people to take the elevator to the Lido. There was bno mention of the main dining room. When I asked, he made it sound like I should have known I could always eat up there. There were only four tables occupied at 12:30. Menu looked like a standard lunch menu.

In the cabin there was a brochure outlining all the new MAriner benefits including the lunch, but by then the dining room was closed.

Very poor communication.

J

Archived