Strange...to say the least

almostnewtocruise

First, let me say that we ABSOLUTELY LOVED our cruise with Azamara (Journey) last summer. It was great!

So as soon as we came back we began to follow the 2010 schedule (and the prices on the website) in order to book another cruise for next spring.

So I was very happy when I received in my box an email (I am not sure I can mention here the name of that "outlet", so I won't) about (3) "bonus days" - promising us a "balcony for the price of ocean-view" AND pre-paid gratuities for a new booking (offer ends on Oct. 2nd!) .

That seemed like a good bargain, so I called - and then discovered, to my astonishment, that the price I've been offered was actually almost identical with the one I knew about all along. When I mentioned to the TA to whom I was talking to, that this is actually the "regular"price for a veranda, I was told - no, that's the price of ocean view - and she even suggested that I check it on the Azamara website.

Which I did.. And you know what? She was right! The prices on the Azamara website have changed in the last few days. But instead of LOWERING the price of the Veranda Staterooms, what have been done is RISING the price of the Ocean View cabins! So now that the Veranda and O/V are identical (actually, there are now some O/V cabins more expensive than some of the Verandas!) - this promotion's claim is technically correct - the balconies are indeed selling for the price of ocean view!

So .. is it just me, or does it indeed seem not entirely honest?

First, let me say that we ABSOLUTELY LOVED our cruise with Azamara (Journey) last summer. It was great!

So as soon as we came back we began to follow the 2010 schedule (and the prices on the website) in order to book another cruise for next spring.

So I was very happy when I received in my box an email (I am not sure I can mention here the name of that "outlet", so I won't) about (3) "bonus days" - promising us a "balcony for the price of ocean-view" AND pre-paid gratuities for a new booking (offer ends on Oct. 2nd!) .

That seemed like a good bargain, so I called - and then discovered, to my astonishment, that the price I've been offered was actually almost identical with the one I knew about all along. When I mentioned to the TA to whom I was talking to, that this is actually the "regular"price for a veranda, I was told - no, that's the price of ocean view - and she even suggested that I check it on the Azamara website.

Which I did.. And you know what? She was right! The prices on the Azamara website have changed in the last few days. But instead of LOWERING the price of the Veranda Staterooms, what have been done is RISING the price of the Ocean View cabins! So now that the Veranda and O/V are identical (actually, there are now some O/V cabins more expensive than some of the Verandas!) - this promotion's claim is technically correct - the balconies are indeed selling for the price of ocean view!

So .. is it just me, or does it indeed seem not entirely honest?

When we booked our Verandah it was the same price as the OV's. The prices change on a daily basis with Celebrity/Azamara, just like the airlines.

I don't see it as not being honest, but rather as a marketing strategy ... just as other offers are, such as 'air included'. O/V cabins must have been selling well on the itinerary that you are looking at, hence the the push now on verandahs. I too have occasionally found O/V's very close to or more than verandah pricing on some itineraries.

This happens with almost every cruise line and hotels

It's a marketing strategy combined with their yield management techniques.

That's why it pays to do your homework, consistently watch prices and really know when it's a GOOD DEAL

another scenario that you might be more familiar with is the retail or grocery store that marks up to mark down...it's done all the time.

Just because it says sale doesn't mean it truly is

I recognize completely the right of a company to price their own products (and our right to buy, not to buy, or wait for a better price...)

What I don't particularly relish is the deception about the terms of an offered "discount".

Call me naive, but wouldn't it be nice to see some truth in advertising? Because shouldn't it be "OV for the price of a Balcony" rather than "Balcony for the price of an OV"

But that would sound of course so much less tempting...

Hi Everyone !

I agree that its not dishonest at all. Every business must find ways to bring in new business, especially with this miserable economy. That's what Marketing folks do.

As others said, supply and demand has a great deal to do with pricing. As there are several balconies on Azamara ships, it's easier to offer deals on those cabins. I've also seen many instances of pricing on various lines, where (as an example), balconies were priced the same or lower than an outside cabin. While it does make you do a double-take, it means the balcony is a better deal !

I'd like to offer some advice : it pays to check prices often, and be an educated consumer. When you have a particular date/itinerary in mind, keep an eye on nearby sailing dates. Be flexible. Do your homework. It has saved me many thousands of dollars over the years.

This "Sale" drives me crazy. This is the second time I have seen this sale in as many months. While technically true. the veranda is the same price as the outside cabin, all they do is raise the price of the outside cabin to the price of the veranda. The veranda is not reduced in price a single penny from what it has been all along. And the veranda is not a better deal either, because if you just wait a few weeks, those outside cabins show back up at the price they are suppose to be. Believe me I have been watching this "marketing ploy" for quite awhile. It must not be working too well, because I still see all those balcony cabins available. To call this a "sale" is deceptive to say the least, and I think it is an insult to the clients intelligence. This is not comparable to most of the "sales" at the grocery or department store. They do not typically jack up the prices on regular items while leaving more expensive items full price and then advertise a "Sale." A sale typically involves some sort of PRICE REDUCTION not PRICE INCREASE. I understand supply and demand, and understand Azamara is trying to get clients to book a veranda instead of an outside cabin. They know no one is going to book an outside when they have raised the price of it by $1000 and it cost the same as a veranda. However, if they really want to move clients into those veranda's, why not just actually reduce the price or offer OBC or something that is legit. We are not stupid and do not like being treated as such. Azamara, you say your client is "up market." Then treat us as if we have more sense than to fall for a cheap gimmick like this. It insults my intelligence!

The veranda is not reduced in price a single penny from what it has been all along.
Perhaps it depends on the sailing. Prices for our veranda on the Journey April/10 transAtlantic were reduced in the last few days & we were able to get the price match. It was the only cat that was reduced for that particular sailing. I noticed that prices for several OV cats were increased while suite prices were unchanged.

Hello,

As a business in business to make money Azamara can do whatever it can to entice new or repeat customers to sail on Azamara.

Throughout much of the world and in the USA there is the Free Enterprise System. Businesses do what they can to attract customers. Recent cruises to the Far East and South America showed me that advertising is alive and well. It is your responsibility as an intelligent person to sort through it all and make up your own mind.

In the Confederate States of America, it was a small group of planters and lawyers who told everyone else what to do, and the result was Vicksburg.

However, if they really want to move clients into those veranda's, why not just actually reduce the price or offer OBC or something that is legit.

I agree that I would rather see a price drop on a category that I'm tracking, but if Azamara reduces the price on verandahs, they will take a loss on cabins already sold from those asking for the reduced price. This tactic avoids that problem, and if the new clients who purchase a verandah are satisfied with the price, then it's a win/win situation.

In addition, this offer provided free gratuities for new bookings, so there was a financial benefit from that.

I would like to know how the American Civil War got into this discussion.

Or maybe not.....

Anyway,, I am glad to see that at least one person here thinks that there is something .. let's say .. misleading in this current "Sale".

Although I have to admit that since I wrote my first mail the prices for one (and JUST ONE! ) category of Balcony staterooms (that's 1 C) have indeed dropped on every cruise I checked (Journey, May 2010). While the prices of the rest of the "Balconies" have remained the same (and all the OV are still as high as the Verandas). Maybe someone in Azamara's marketing office does read these threads..

By the way, I have no problem with the Free Enterprise System mentioned , and I understand that businesses will do what they can in order to attract customers.

But what is harder for me to understand is why customers would defend their right to be duped by a misleading advertising... Or maybe they don't mind, just as long as it's somebody else who is misled?

Also I wonder how all this is really working for Azamara. Because Azamara has indeed a GREAT product (I know, because we sailed with them!), and all those (so unnecessary) "half-truths" don't seem to do them much good.. ( Or maybe I'm wrong - again - and all these so-called-reduced Verandas are just "flying out"?)

To Susan.. Last time we sailed the prices were reduced (and I mean REALLY! ) twice and the people in Azamara were very nice to honor (if asked) their commitment to adjust the prices also for "old" bookings ..

To Susan.. Last time we sailed the prices were reduced (and I mean REALLY! ) twice and the people in Azamara were very nice to honor (if asked) their commitment to adjust the prices also for "old" bookings ..

And that goes a long ways towards their bottom line.;) Many of us have been fortunate in benefiting from reduced prices between the time of booking and sail date....and it is wonderful! But I don't expect it, and can understand if Azamara (or any business) charges a price that reflects costs, plus profit.

I think I must be older than you, because I learned a long time ago not to pay too close attention to advertising. If I'm looking for a good deal, rather than assume I'm getting a great price because that's what the advertisement says, I'll do my homework and compare prices.

Susan _M where did you see a mention of free gratuities with on this "sale." I have not seen that mentioned only "Veranda for the price of an outside cabin." What sailing did you get that on, (if you don't mind sharing) thanks

BTW, I think it goes without saying that those of us that are not happy with this being called a sale are doing our due diligence and being informed shoppers and that is precisely why we know this "sale" is bogus. It has also never been considered anti-American to speak up when you identify shady business tactics. I bet the English told the Colonist the tax on their tea wasn't really a tax either, but that didn't keep them from throwing it overboard! Now we got another war involved. LOL>>>>

Cwuer - as Susan_M wrote, it was indeed mentioned in my first post..

Let me explain briefly.. I read about it in the same promotion newsletter that also promised "Balcony for the price of OV" (offer was supposed to expire by October the 2nd).

When I called them at that time (and for me that's an international call - therefore not "free"), I learnt that at least that offer wasn't "exactly" true.. I admit that after that I haven't pursue the issue, and didn't even ask about gratuities..

But after few days, when the lower price for one category of balcony staterooms ( 1C) suddenly appeared on Azamara site, I contacted my TA and asked also about prepaid gratuities.. The answer was - NO..

Confused? So am I...

As someone here mentioned, one should check prices all the time.. (and try not to blink, otherwise he/she may miss something... icon12.gif)

Susan _M where did you see a mention of free gratuities with on this "sale." I have not seen that mentioned only "Veranda for the price of an outside cabin." What sailing did you get that on, (if you don't mind sharing) thanks

Not Susan but on the 2/6 Quest we moved from an OV to a Verandah when they offered them for the price of an OV and they were the same or something like $100.00 more. The lowest category really was the same. Azamara also offered free gratuities and OBC. The OBC was more for the Verandah than the OV. Now the Verandah's are sold out (have been for about 6 months out) and so are the Suites and OV's and insides more than we paid. In any event at one point before they sold out the verandah's were double what we paid.

Azamara is in business to make money and use the marketing that they see fit. With that said Celebrity and Azamara are the only cruise lines we have been on that have prices moving around like the airlines. On HAL all of cruises we have been on sold out as far as I know and SilverSeas this year sold out as well, so you don't see all of these pricing changes.

If you want to see an annoying price game that really tests your stupidity (and only for those who saw the price changes this year) check out the SilverSeas board. They had cruises earlier this year that really were 20-50% off the original price ($6,000 lowest category you could snag for $3,000, and another itinerary I wanted that was listed at about $2,600.00 at half price in Greenland but gone when I called - their web page is not live so shows prices and stateroom categories that are really sold out. I do have an issue with that). Now they have offered up to 65% and now 50% off for next year but prices truly doubled showing rack rates for 7-10 night cruises at over $10,000 for the cheapest cabins. You can see a number of threads about this on the SilverSeas board. The cruise line was doing well with the Sales and feel they need to keep offering "up to 50% off"

This "Sale" drives me crazy. This is the second time I have seen this sale in as many months. While technically true. the veranda is the same price as the outside cabin, all they do is raise the price of the outside cabin to the price of the veranda. The veranda is not reduced in price a single penny from what it has been all along. To call this a "sale" is deceptive to say the least, and I think it is an insult to the clients intelligence.

We are not stupid and do not like being treated as such. Azamara, you say your client is "up market." Then treat us as if we have more sense than to fall for a cheap gimmick like this. It insults my intelligence!

Can you give specific dates. That way it is much easier to follow your thinking.

In your case it sounds like you booked when the price was already low, so just not finding your category stateroom going down. On our upcoming cruise we were in an OV and able to move to a Verandah when they were the same price (not get a price reduction on the Verandah which is what you are hoping to do). Over the months all the Verandahs and Suites have sold out on our date. Last time I looked the Insides and OV's were about the same price, but still both more than what the Veranda's were earlier this year. However, with that said, we did move to our Verandah when it was the same price as the OV.

We book at a price we are happy with and don't expect any reduction. We did get one on Celebrity Century last year but that is a Mass Market line and in the popular and price war prone Caribbean. We have never had a price reduction after booking on any small ship, luxury line (or any HAL ship within a 1 year of sailing date- have seen them when we booked onboard over a year out).

I've read all the posts here and since we're considering a cruise on Quest May 2010, been checking the prices almost daily. I've seen the veranda offer and been told by a TA that there would be a sale on 10/14. Would it be better to wait or just go ahead and book? If we book, and the sale offers paid gratuities or obc, do we miss out?

Date and sailing is May 29th 12 day med. and holy lands. And No, you are mistaken about my booking. I did not book at an already low price and now want a further reduction. In fact, I have not booked at all. I am waiting for a REAL sale. The price of the cheapest veranda and cheapest oceanview is the same right now, and this is just a few dollars shy of $6000 for a room double occupancy. This is not a LOW price, and there are tons of balconys still available. There are also lots of OV rooms available, but no one in their right mind would pay $6000 for an OV on this ship. The inside rooms are sold out but there are only about 29 inside cabins available on this line. I have been watching the priceing for several months and unless the balcony cabins get marked down for real I will not be booking one.

Hey Shoesonfire. I would not book that cruise now. There is indeed a 2 day sale coming up and it varies depending on what you are going to book. If you book now you will not be able to take advantage of it as it is for new bookings only. I also know of a substantial coupon that may help you and you can use it with any travel agent. If you email me at cindy.word@comcast.net I'll tell you about it.

Don't see where $6000 for a 12 day cruise in a balcony cabin is outrageous. If you don't want to pay it, then by all means, don't go. You'll find the mass market lines selling this same itinerary for more. The economy is getting better and though there were some great bargains to be had, you're not going to see these as they were earlier this year. There will be exceptions, of course. Azamara is pretty good about rebooking cruises to get better prices that may come about. About the last post offering a special coupon, I would suspect this is an agent, and from her tactics, one I wouldn't necessarily trust.

Where did you get that from??? Nowhere did i say $6000 was "outrageous" for a balcony cabin. I was just replying to the poster that said they thought I had booked a balcony at a cheap price and then wanted a reduction. $6000 is not outrageous, but neither is it a bargain. I am just one of MANY hoping to see a true price reduction in balcony cabins. And I suspect from your post that you work for the cruise line as you seem to work hard bashing anyone who questions the priceing. (And not someone I would trust either.)

Archived