Reconsidering Mexican Riviera or Sea of Cortez?

Rosethorn40

Between Swine Flu fears and drug related violence (Which has on occasion spilled over into tourist areas) my DH is becoming uneasy about our upcoming Sea of Cortez cruise, and is suggesting we change to something else. Anyone else reconsidering travel to Mexico?

No, DH and I were actually thinking about trading our 14 day Carib to go back and do the Sea of Cortez again this winter. As for the Canadians that were just killed in PV, one has to consider that (possibly, maybe, and this is PURELY speculation on my part) they were involved in unsavory activities.

The vast majority of drug related violence has taken place at border towns and in the more seedy area of towns. Stay in the tourist areas and it will be fine.

Swine flu can potentially be contracted anywhere, so unless there is no contact with others it can be contracted in your hometown.

Anyone else reconsidering travel to Mexico?
Au contraire. We've got a keen eye open for any last-minute deals to Mexico for early 2010. As long as the sailing doesn't conflict with the Superbowl (blackout dates strictly enforced by DH :p:p), we're there.

Between Swine Flu fears and drug related violence (Which has on occasion spilled over into tourist areas) my DH is becoming uneasy about our upcoming Sea of Cortez cruise, and is suggesting we change to something else. Anyone else reconsidering travel to Mexico?

I'm booked on the 24 April 2010 Sea of Cortez to Vancouver even though I was on the Ryndam this past year and got turned back at Puerto Vallerta because of the Swine Flu. Got very ill onboard and was diagnosed with H1N1 when I got home. Even though I was sickl the last week of that cruise hasn't obviously preventled me from booking again.

We sailed the Sea of Cortez last November and loved it. In the places the ship docks you will be safe. (but of course as in any place use your commonsense.)

We love Mexico and will have a long stay again in Puerto Vallarta this winter.

I'm booked on the 24 April 2010 Sea of Cortez to Vancouver even though I was on the Ryndam this past year and got turned back at Puerto Vallerta because of the Swine Flu. Got very ill onboard and was diagnosed with H1N1 when I got home. Even though I was sickl the last week of that cruise hasn't obviously preventled me from booking again.

Glad to hear that you have recovered.

The funny thing is that I booked this cruise for my husband so he could ride the Copper Canyon Railroad (I would be coming along for the ride), and he is the one getting cold feet. I loved our Mexican Riviera cruise in 2006, in fact it ranks tied for 2nd on my favorite cruises, so I had no complaint in going back to the area. DH is tempting me with his alternative suggestion-Hawaii. So far I'm holding firm on the Sea of Cortez.

Just came back from Cabo a few hours ago. It was great. We are booked already on another MR cruise.

Have to say though, we miss HAL.

Pat

Glad to hear that you have recovered.

The funny thing is that I booked this cruise for my husband so he could ride the Copper Canyon Railroad (I would be coming along for the ride), and he is the one getting cold feet. I loved our Mexican Riviera cruise in 2006, in fact it ranks tied for 2nd on my favorite cruises, so I had no complaint in going back to the area. DH is tempting me with his alternative suggestion-Hawaii. So far I'm holding firm on the Sea of Cortez.

Laura: Hope you win out and get to do the Sea of Cortez. Crossing my fingers for you.Gail:D

Have done both cruises, Mexico and Sea of Cortez many times and will be going again in three weeks and have never had any problems and don't look for any this time either. I would not have any second thoughts about going to Mexico. I agree with Krazy Kruizers, if HAL would offer the 10 day Sea of Cortez and 10 day Mexican cruise -- back-to-back -- like they did a couple of years ago -- we'd be doing it.

Archived