Shore Excursion Price jumps

jparker10508

On my cruise personalizer I reserved several excursions for our upcoming trip on the Star. Now I notice that the prices have jumped on almost all of them- will we have to pay the additional money or will we only have to pay the price that was there when we first signed up? The cruise personalizer still shows our old rates but just wonder if once on board they will charge us the new rate.

Don't book with princess. Save big bucks and book your own tours independently.

Going by the number of posts, the Op may be new to cruising. She/he may not be comfortable booking independent tours. Even after a number of cruises, I still book some Princess tours-it depends on where we are and how comfortable I feel about the country.

As soon as the Princess tours were available online I booked some for our half world cruise and printed the summary. The next day they went up considerably! I took the list of confirmed tours with me on the cruise as proof of the price offered at time of booking. No worries though, as the lesser amount was showing on our shipboard account. We actually saved hundreds of dollars - may have had something to do with conversion rates from USD to AUD.

As soon as the Princess tours were available online I booked some for our half world cruise and printed the summary.
I agree with printing either the description of the excursion you booked which includes the price or the excursion summary.

On our recent cruise on the Grand, they charged us the higher price and then credited the difference later in the cruise.

On a previous cruise, we were charged a higher price and did not notice it until after we disembarked. We wrote to Princess and the difference was credited and we were given a nice OBC for our next cruise.

Lew

On my cruise personalizer I reserved several excursions for our upcoming trip on the Star. Now I notice that the prices have jumped on almost all of them- will we have to pay the additional money or will we only have to pay the price that was there when we first signed up? The cruise personalizer still shows our old rates but just wonder if once on board they will charge us the new rate.

Does your reservation show the actual price increase?

Or is it just the spots that are left available for booking?

Hi,

We are booked on the Star to LA on 24 October. You will notice that Princess shore excursions can be more expensive than privately organised ones.

I know it can be a bit daunting when you first join in to CC and try to do the best you can on shore excursions. You can be assured there is an ample number of people on CC who are both knowledgeable and willing to provide you with advice and assistance. Make sure you use it;)

I have booked some excursions through Princess and some independently through the roll call. I have checked my excursions on cruise personalizer and there are no increases. It may be just certain ones that have the price increase.

Have you checked with your roll call to see if there are independent tours going? If there are and there are spare places you might be able to join in.

Enjoy your cruise

Ted

We are booked on the Star to LA on 24 October. You will notice that Princess shore excursions can be more expensive than privately organised ones.
While that's true, not everyone likes or wants to take independent shore excursions even if they are cheaper. It's best to make an informed decision but if someone is new to cruising, is unfamiliar with the ports, etc., booking a Princess tour eliminates confusion and anxiety. Remember, if you take an independent tour, you are 100% responsible for anything and everything related to that tour, including getting back to the ship on time. That's pretty daunting for newbies.

There's no right or wrong to whether you take a Princess or independent tour; one is not better than the other. There are good (and bad) to both.

No it is not, but when someone posts a question it is because the believe they are going to get an answer to it.

If every post just dealt with correct and direct answers to OP questions, we would have about 10% of total post numbers at cruise critic. :D;)

This happened just recently on our Island princess cruise to the Canal. And while I agree that independents are the way to go, you are restricted to the cruiseline trips in the canal.

I am glad y'all agree that the rate should stay the same even if it has gone up, once you have it booked. I was curious about that.

Recently on the Pacific Princess, we'd booked two ship's tours and several independently. Never thought much about it til looking through the tour info in the cabin one day and realized that one was listed as $10 more and the other $20. (0ne ended up getting canceled due to weather conditions that prevented it from happening.)

We checked out charges and we were in fact billed at the lower price, not the current price. I'd assume it's that way on all the ships.

Archived