compensation for travel agent

LaurieSR

We just had to cancel our cruise on the Ruby Princess in December. Our travel agent who we've used for many years was very ince about it and took care of all the cancellation calls etc. We feel very bad because he did a lot of work for us preparing for this cruise, and not that we cancelled, he won't get his commission. We want to send him a check to compensate him, but don't know how much would be appropriate. Should we pay him the commission he would have had on our $3000 cruise, and if so how much would that be? Or what would be fair?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Laurie

We feel very bad because he did a lot of work for us preparing for this cruise, and not that we cancelled, he won't get his commission. We want to send him a check to compensate him, but don't know how much would be appropriate... Or what would be fair?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

What a nice gesture. I would think $100 would be appreciated along with a note telling him you will call him next time you are going to book a trip, as well!

Hi Laurie,

You obviously have a very good TA - it's often only the bad ones that get a mention :rolleyes:

TA commission is generally around 10%, so that would make it around $300. As you are regular clients he probably didn't mind not making anything on the cancellation as he expects you will book with again. So anything that you decide to offer him will probably be appreciated :)

Keep living generously and enjoying life :D

Cheers

Andrew

Since you are long, loyal clients - I am sure your agent understood. Especially if you plan on booking with him in the future.

I would suggest a gift certificate to a nice restaurant as a thank you for all the work he did.

As always - the best gift to an agent is a referral so if you know of friends who don't have an agent, you may want to let them know what a great agent you have. That gift, can keep giving as they continue to use that agent and they also tell their friends.

Hi Laurie,

You obviously have a very good TA - it's often only the bad ones that get a mention :rolleyes:

TA commission is generally around 10%, so that would make it around $300.

Though a larger portion then one often thinks of the cruise fare is non-commissonable (taxes, port fees, etc...).

That is a very nice gesture but as a travel agent this happens all the time to him and he understands that. If you want, send him a $50 gift card for dinner but even then, that is more than he expects. Usually travel agents get bashed instead of thanked. You are so kind.

I mostly book directly with the cruise line. A few years back I booked thru a travel agency which provided me with a gift voucher to use on board.

The voucher was for a "crystal" clock. Unfortunately, the clock was out of stock. The clerk issued an equal credit for substitute item.

The credit was for a whopping $13! How generous. :rolleyes:

regarding travel agency commissions, one screwed up and failed to remove their commish portion of the statement from my copy of the booking confirmation.

Cruise/Tour 17%

Air, Options and CPP were each 10%

Of course, the above percentages are not anywhere near the agent's cut. At some agencies the agent receives 0%.

The Yearly performance rating, and any bonus and and salary bump, is based on their booking $.

Laurie, you do have a nice agent..i would compensate the agent for just the attitude they carried while helping you out..

our initial try with a TA ..we had to cancel and what a attitude she had..from that point on we have never delt with a TA again..

regarding travel agency commissions, one screwed up and failed to remove their commish portion of the statement from my copy of the booking confirmation.

Cruise/Tour 17%

Air, Options and CPP were each 10%

Of course, the above percentages are not anywhere near the agent's cut. At some agencies the agent receives 0%.

The Yearly performance rating, and any bonus and and salary bump, is based on their booking $.

What are Options and CPP?

What are Options and CPP?

That was a long time ago. There is no commission on air, options (transfers, etc). CPP is travel insurance through the cruiseline.

And judging by the cruisetour commission rate, it was not Princess.. as the percentage stated is higher than PCL's top rate with override.

You are really nice to think of your TA and I agree, take him to lunch one day or drop off a gift card. Also, something some people are unaware, depending on the insurance (if you had it) some cover the agent's commission.....Princess insurance I'm sure wouldn't but there are company's out there that will. Try not to feel so bad, it's all part of the business. Of course my question is, being in a sales position, did he offer to book something later for you?

We just had to cancel our cruise on the Ruby Princess in December. Our travel agent who we've used for many years was very ince about it and took care of all the cancellation calls etc. We feel very bad because he did a lot of work for us preparing for this cruise, and not that we cancelled, he won't get his commission. We want to send him a check to compensate him, but don't know how much would be appropriate. Should we pay him the commission he would have had on our $3000 cruise, and if so how much would that be? Or what would be fair?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Laurie

Thats part of their job! I personally wouldn't worry about it as I'm sure you'll happily book your next vacation with this T/A!You should rebook rather than cancel altogether!

Along the same lines, we listed our house with a realtor and after 6 months of listing, advertising, and showings, we had not received any offers. We felt bad when we decided to take our home off the market and cancel with the realtor. Of course, he lost out on a commission had we sold, but we did send him a card and a thank you gift as a gesture of our appreciation for what he'd done. It was only a small gift, but he really appreciated the thought, and sent us a thank you card in return!

As mentioned, it is all part of doing business, so I'm sure anything you do for your TA will be very thoughtful and special, as he is not expecting any kind of payment for a cancelled cruise.

As a TA, I have had the nicest gifts and cards sent to me when I've gotten my clients a big OBC, price drop or dealt with an unusually complicated booking. In fact, just a few days ago, 3 boxes of chocolates were sent to me from across the country. I have to say I really appreciate the gestures, but they are never, ever expected. I think just a written note is the nicest thing one can ever do for a TA.

Last January, my clients had to cancel a huge 45 day cruise due to a sudden severe illness. I had worked over 18 months on this cruise and it was a very, very complicated booking. It's expected that things happen and cancellations occur. No one likes them, but it's part of the job.

Before I was a TA, I sent my TA a $100 American Express gift card that could be used any way she wanted to use it after I cancelled a cruise due to someone else having a much, much lower price that she was unable to get. Maybe that would be appropriate in your case, but for less?

Thank you to all of you for your comments. After reading all of them, we've decided a $100 compensation would be appropriate, and of course a nice note of thanks. We hope to rebook with him in the not too far off future!

As a TA, I have had the nicest gifts and cards sent to me when I've gotten my clients a big OBC, price drop or dealt with an unusually complicated booking. In fact, just a few days ago, 3 boxes of chocolates were sent to me from across the country. I have to say I really appreciate the gestures, but they are never, ever expected. I think just a written note is the nicest thing one can ever do for a TA.

Last January, my clients had to cancel a huge 45 day cruise due to a sudden severe illness. I had worked over 18 months on this cruise and it was a very, very complicated booking. It's expected that things happen and cancellations occur. No one likes them, but it's part of the job.

Before I was a TA, I sent my TA a $100 American Express gift card that could be used any way she wanted to use it after I cancelled a cruise due to someone else having a much, much lower price that she was unable to get. Maybe that would be appropriate in your case, but for less?

As a travel agent maybe you can answer this. Is there a designated day for travel agent recognition? Seems there is a boss' day, secretary's day, etc.

We have a wonderful travel agent and always send a note of thanks after our trips, but it would be nice if there were a special day of recognition.

Shirley

our initial try with a TA ..we had to cancel and what a attitude she had..from that point on we have never delt with a TA again..

Quite true that, just like in any profession, some TA's are better than others. Just don't discount all because of one bad egg!

If you went to a mechanic that you did not like, would you just decide never to go to a mechanic again and do all of your own car repairs, no matter how complicated?!?

Hope you try again and find someone that can be a very valuable aid for your next trip!!!

It's an unexpected gesture that the OP did for the TA.

I'm sure that the TA was very suprized and appreciative.

Cancelations happen. It's a common part of the business .

In 17+ years as a TA , with many cancelations over the years ,

I was happily rewarded when they repeated or refered someone .

Archived