First evening Dress Code

davekathy

We travel with 2 other people (adults) and we are there to enjoy each other’s company, the ship and the itinerary. I don’t I care what the next person is wearing or not wearing. I’ve always thought all the Cruise Lines should ease up and allow a more relaxed casual dress code the first evening of the cruise. But then where do you draw the line on that. Oh well when in Rome do as the Romans do.

On the other hand, when you cruise on Princess, you know exactly what the requested dress code is. It's up to the individual whether to respect that or take the attitude, "It's my cruise and I'll do what I want." It's all about respect, not about whether people will be upset with what you're wearing.

On the other hand, when you cruise on Princess, you know exactly what the requested dress code is. It's up to the individual whether to respect that or take the attitude, "It's my cruise and I'll do what I want." It's all about respect, not about whether people will be upset with what you're wearing.

Totally agree with Pam and others...

on the 1st night though..it's pretty much an anything goes as the maitre d's do take into account..luggage lost or not delivered to the stateroom...

I usually don't think twice about seeing someone blantantly not following dress codes on the 1st night...

BUT

on the other hand and even though I'm 40ish and I'm a traditionalist cruiser with 32 years of cruising... Personally, I would be respectful of the dress code and to my fellow cruisers if my luggage hadn't arrived and all I had was shorts.

I would be heading to the buffet, but that's just me.

when flying..I always wear capris..with elastic waists..for comfort etc...

and a dressier t shirt..plus carry a jacket for the a/c on the plane

if my luggage did not arrive in time for dinner...I would have no probs going to MDR in such an outfit..

Me too! and I add a bright colored scarf...which in turn works over my bathing suit as a pareo that I have packed in my carry on

Whether it's dinner or a dip in the pool..

I am prepared when I board the ship! Whether my luggage makes it or not!

First of all - I am putting on my flame-proof attire! Call me old, call me a traditionist - but I just don't get the whole not dressing for the occasion/venue thing. I recently attended a wedding, where it was most apparent from the initial invitation to the venues (church and reception) that this was not a casual event. The father of the bride wore a tux (and he is so not a tux person), my husband wore a suit and I wore a nice dress. I saw guests in everything from nice, to cocktail (and some that left not too much to the imagination) and jeans and flannel shirts. I am too old to be shocked - but still, those that dressed in jeans surely stood out. Maybe it was the way I was raised - but I was taught to respect the event and dress appropriately. If you choose not to - that's up to you and it won't bother me -but, it does beg the question about the denigration of respect and civility that seems to be lacking in our society today.

(OK - back in my cave for me - hopefully out of range of flames!)

BTW- my husband will wear a tux on formal night and I'll wear something (if I can find it!)

I don't quite get people's obsession with clothes, be it on or off a cruise ship. As long as their clothes are clean and provide somewhat decent coverage, I couldn't care less what anybody else is wearing. I myself would be just as happy (probably happier) wearing jeans and shorts in the dining room every night. Respect is how you treat people, not what you wear, which should be none of their business anyway. Just my opinion on this.

Having said that, if somebody chooses to attend an event, in this case cruise, where a dress code is given, they should comply with that dress code. If they can't or don't want to, they are free to not attend the event/cruise. Rules are rules, whether we like them or not. Quite simple.

On the first night of a cruise, however, I think it is good that most cruise lines relax the dress code, due to late luggage deliveries.

Maybe I'm missing something here. The OP asked a straightforward question:

Will I be turned away at the dining room due to my decision not to dress casual?

These replies are all over the ball park.

Just where does she ask for our opinion as to whether it's appropriate, or what we wear?

The answer is a simple: "No, you won't be turned away".

Most of us know the dress code isn't enforced sailaway night.

Our opinion about what we think OP should wear are irrelevant. Or are some of y'all just playing Head Waiter? :D

Will I be turned away at the dining room due to my decision not to dress casual?

Just where does she ask for our opinion as to whether it's appropriate, or what we wear?

Our opinion about what we think OP should wear are irrelevant. Or are some of y'all just playing Head Waiter? :D

Thank you. Well said.

It's unfortunate but some people feel it's their obligation to play head waiter & just not answer the question. It would be an interesting experiment if they had the job of enforcing the regulations for a while & had to listen to the complaints of passengers who were they barred from the dr because of not conforming to the proper dress.

I don't quite get people's obsession with clothes, be it on or off a cruise ship. As long as their clothes are clean and provide somewhat decent coverage, I couldn't care less what anybody else is wearing. I myself would be just as happy (probably happier) wearing jeans and shorts in the dining room every night. Respect is how you treat people, not what you wear, which should be none of their business anyway. Just my opinion on this.

Having said that, if somebody chooses to attend an event, in this case cruise, where a dress code is given, they should comply with that dress code. If they can't or don't want to, they are free to not attend the event/cruise. Rules are rules, whether we like them or not. Quite simple.

On the first night of a cruise, however, I think it is good that most cruise lines relax the dress code, due to late luggage deliveries.

(BTW, I'm quoting your response because I think you bring up some good points; I'm not picking on you....:))

==========================

"As long as their clothes are clean and provide somewhat decent coverage." -- I guess that is where the problems start, because statements like this are so open to determination.

What is clean? Does is simply mean that someone doesn't smell bad? Or is being slightly stinky okay, as long as their clothes are not dripping mud?

What is "decent coverage"? Are short shorts considered decent? After all, if one person says that shorts are allowed, then how can another person wearing shorts be turned away? Are bathing suits decent? After all, they are not exposing anything naughty?

How could a maitre d' hope to enforce such nebulous rules?

Like most manners, dress codes were originally developed to make things easier for people. You look at the dress code and you know exactly what is required (or not allowed). Somehow -- and I'm not sure how -- we've gotten to the point where "anything goes" and any sort of rule is looked at as something to be ignored, broken, worked around, etc.... What was intended to provide appropriate guidance is now some sort of horrible burden to people.

"Respect is how you treat people, not what you wear." I would argue that you cannot separate the two. If I have a dress code at work, even if it is not actively enforced, I am respecting my fellow workers by complying with it. I'm saying, in effect, that I'm no better or worse than they are, we are all in the same situation and the rules apply equally to all. Not just to some, while the "favored few" get to thumb their noses at the code and wear whatever they want.

I guess I don't see how it is any different on a cruise. And I really don't understand how saying "It's my vacation, I can _______ if I want to," can be used to excuse all kinds of behaviors.

Yeah, it's your cruise......and also 2,999 other passengers' cruises.

If the dress code is not enforced the first evening, it is because there is a possibility that some luggage may still be in the process of being delivered. In all of our Princess cruises, we have never had an instance where our luggage wasn't at our door well in advance of dinner, even for an early seating. Can it happen? Of course, but it is the exception not the rule.

Most people should have their luggage and be able to dress appropriately. The OP himself acknowledges that it is not a situation of not being able to dress appropriately, but not wanting to take the time he feels is needed to change into proper attire for the dining room.

If someone really doesn't have their luggage, I can see making an exception, even though I can't imagine ever feeling comfortable walking into the dining room for dinner in shorts, but that's just me. However, in this case the relaxation of the dress guidelines to assist people still waiting for luggage is just being used as an excuse to get around the rules.

We will be embarking on our 10th Cruise 26 March 2010 on the Grand Princess. So we aren’t new to Cruising. I have to ask but hate to. I plan on wearing shorts and a T-shirt ONLY for the first night in the dining room. All other evenings I plan on complying with the suggested Dress Code. We have Early Traditional Dining and I want to participate in the Sail Away Party. In the past I’ve hurried back to the cabin, showered and changed. This upcoming Cruise I don’t want to do that nor do I want to dress for the first evening before we board the Grand. Will I be turned away at the dining room due to my decision not to dress casual? I don’t want to lie and tell and say my luggage has arrived yet. Dining in the Horizon Court is not an option. On our last Cruise, March 2009 on the Royal Caribbean Explorer Of the Seas nothing was said when I showed up the first evening in shorts.

Can't speak to traditional dining (it's been a while since we've done that) but I have seen several people in shorts on the first night in anytime dining. They were shown in without question. I've worn shorts myself on the first night several times in the last few years--no questions or problems.

Not sure if it is different in traditional dining. I suspect that traditional dining may appeal to people that have a different perspective on cruising/dining than those that select anytime dining. Keep in mind that this will/may be the first time you meet people that will be your tablemates for the balance of the cruise. While they may be pleasant otherwise, they may be judgemental--there seem to be a lot of judgemental people out there.

Archived