First evening Dress Code

davekathy

We will be embarking on our 10th Cruise 26 March 2010 on the Grand Princess. So we aren’t new to Cruising. I have to ask but hate to. I plan on wearing shorts and a T-shirt ONLY for the first night in the dining room. All other evenings I plan on complying with the suggested Dress Code. We have Early Traditional Dining and I want to participate in the Sail Away Party. In the past I’ve hurried back to the cabin, showered and changed. This upcoming Cruise I don’t want to do that nor do I want to dress for the first evening before we board the Grand. Will I be turned away at the dining room due to my decision not to dress casual? I don’t want to lie and tell and say my luggage has arrived yet. Dining in the Horizon Court is not an option. On our last Cruise, March 2009 on the Royal Caribbean Explorer Of the Seas nothing was said when I showed up the first evening in shorts.

Why is dining in the Horizon Court not an option? Just curious. All I can say is that we have been on seven Princess cruises and I have NEVER, not one time, seen anyone in the dining room wearing shorts on any evening, including departure day. That's not to say you might not be able to get away with it. I really don't know. I'm just pointing out that even if you do, you will likely be the only person wearing shorts.

I really don't see how it takes so long to go and put on a pair of pants. My son is a swimmer and he can do it under a towel by the pool in about 1 minute. Certainly you could manage to make the sailaway and find time to slip on a pair of pants! Seems like maybe you just don't want to.

Why is dining in the Horizon Court not an option? Just curious. All I can say is that we have been on seven Princess cruises and I have NEVER, not one time, seen anyone in the dining room wearing shorts on any evening, including departure day. That's not to say you might not be able to get away with it. I really don't know. I'm just pointing out that even if you do, you will likely be the only person wearing shorts.

I really don't see how it takes so long to go and put on a pair of pants. My son is a swimmer and he can do it under a towel by the pool in about 1 minute. Certainly you could manage to make the sailaway and find time to slip on a pair of pants! Seems like maybe you just don't want to.

You’re assumption is correct. As I stated I don’t want to rush down to the cabin, take a shower and change clothes. I’m not putting on clean clothes whether I just jumped out of the pool (that everyone else has been in. Not my idea of being clean.) or haven’t showered. Fresh clean clothes means fresh clean body. Sail away is at 5: PM and ETD is at 6:PM. Eating at the Horizon court vs. MDR for the evening meal. Hum? No brainer. Anyway thanks for your opinion!

You’re assumption is correct. As I stated I don’t want to rush down to the cabin, take a shower and change clothes. I’m not putting on clean clothes whether I just jumped out of the pool (that everyone else has been in. Not my idea of being clean.) or haven’t showered. Fresh clean clothes means fresh clean body. Sail away is at 5: PM and ETD is at 6:PM. Eating at the Horizon court vs. MDR for the evening meal. Hum? No brainer. Anyway thanks for your opinion!

Yikes - I'm not sure that indicating that you are planning not only to go to the MDR in shorts, but also not in fresh clean clothes or with a fresh clean body is going to go over too well on this board!!

M

This is just what I have heard. No shorts in the MDR at night, but also first night dress code is not enforced. So you have two answers here. Try, I do not think anyone even looks. And first night honest it should not be enforced. Many people have been up for over a day to even get on the ship. They sure as crap are not thinking of dress. Also many have not gotten luggage yet.

Just MHO just go and eat.

Have never seen anyone in shorts in the MDR. If you show up at the door in shorts, you will most likely be told to change.

Many people with early seating wear their smart casual clothes to the sailaway party. You could always do that and then you would have plenty of time to enjoy the festivities.

When we sailed on the Golden out of San Juan, we didn't receive our luggage until 9:00 pm. We went to the DR in shorts and were told the first nights dress code is relaxed. So I guess you can give it a shot! If they deny you then you're gonna have to go the the Horizon Court:)

You'll be fine in shorts on the first night. Many people don't get their luggage delivered to their cabins in time for early dinner, so they don't enforce the dress code. This happened to me on 2 of my 3 Princess cruises, and I had no problem wearing my day time shorts in the dining room. I did take a shower, though.;)

While I have not seen shorts in the MDR, on my Baltic cruise in August, they were letting people wear hats in the MDR along with the tshirts and jeans and on more than one occasion. I say wear what you want but be prepared if they decide that night to enforce the rules.

We always pack a pair of khakis or cotton dress pants in our carry on, just incase the luggage doesn't arrive by dinner time.

Although the first dinner isn't dressy, we still try to abide by a 'business casual' style aka something that I'd be okay to wear into the office - golf shirt or button up short sleeve with khakis for my husband and button up shirt or blouse with dress pants for me.

We always pack our "smart casual" attire in our carry on. It is then quite simplistic to be propoerly attired for dinner, on the first night, in the main dining room. Wearing shorts in the main dining room is an indicia of poor upbringing. This would be acceptable attire for the buffet, but not for the dining room.

What would you do at home or anywhere else .....If the rules say no shorts, it means no shorts, whether you are enjoying yourself golfing, fishing, swimming or enjoying sail away......why does everybody always want to stretch the rules or break them.....That is also why they have anytime dining....do you want to bend the rules each night because you want to come back late from your excursions also?........ or as long as you are in shorts and sweaty and smell bad it is ok as long as you can bend the rules?

On our first Princess Cruise two years ago our luggage didn't arrive in time to change for dinner, ( last year I got smart and packed an outfit for DH and myself in our carry-on , but we still ate in the Horizon Court after our shower and clean clothes) so we went to the Horizon court and had a wonderful seafood buffet, butfelt crabby because we still had on the clothes we had on all day, in hot humid Fort Lauderdale.

Please would someone give me the answer to why people today just can't abide by the rules.

Why does it have to be a T shirt? Can you wear a polo shirt, or maybe a henley? Still comfortable, a cut above a T shirt, and even if you're wearing shorts, once you're seated all your tablemates will see is your shirt.

From all the responses here, it seems you probably won't be turned away, but my DH and I prefer the MDR because it's a little more formal than Horizon Court. Maybe out of respect for others at your table, you might want to consider a shirt other than a T.

Jenny

We will be embarking on our 10th Cruise 26 March 2010 on the Grand Princess. So we aren’t new to Cruising. I have to ask but hate to. I plan on wearing shorts and a T-shirt ONLY for the first night in the dining room. All other evenings I plan on complying with the suggested Dress Code. We have Early Traditional Dining and I want to participate in the Sail Away Party. In the past I’ve hurried back to the cabin, showered and changed. This upcoming Cruise I don’t want to do that nor do I want to dress for the first evening before we board the Grand. Will I be turned away at the dining room due to my decision not to dress casual? I don’t want to lie and tell and say my luggage has arrived yet. Dining in the Horizon Court is not an option. On our last Cruise, March 2009 on the Royal Caribbean Explorer Of the Seas nothing was said when I showed up the first evening in shorts.

when flying..I always wear capris..with elastic waists..for comfort etc...

and a dressier t shirt..plus carry a jacket for the a/c on the plane

if my luggage did not arrive in time for dinner...I would have no probs going to MDR in such an outfit..

When I say T Shirt I'm not talking about a white under shirt or the so called “redneck wife beater” type. Also the shorts would have been khaki knee length cargo shorts not the jean type. Alright already, I'll comply with the recommended evening Dress Code like I have for the last 9 Cruises!

When I say T Shirt I'm not talking about a white under shirt or the so called “redneck wife beater” type. Also the shorts would have been khaki knee length cargo shorts not the jean type. Alright already, I'll comply with the recommended evening Dress Code like I have for the last 9 Cruises!
They are very strict when it comes to no shorts in the dining room in the evening. It's not a matter of following the "dress code" but rather that's one thing they're pretty consistent about.

Here's what's printed in your "Welcome Aboard" Patter:

Please be reminded that shorts, tank tops & baseball caps are not permitted in the Dining Rooms, Crown Grill and Sabatini's during Dinner hours.

That's pretty specific and should be clear to all. It's not even a "We respectfully request..."

I think most cruise lines are more lenient on the first night. On our last Carnival cruise line they called it "dine as you come night" because alot of people did not get their luggage in time. We got ours just in time and got dressed but others did not. It does not bother me to see others not dressed appropriately. I came to cruise and enjoy myself and I think most people make too much of a big deal about the dress code in general as you can see on alot of the other dress threads. Jeans would probably be OK but go for the shorts if you want to push it.

Well it obvious that most people don't wear or want to see shorts the first evening but I always wear them since I travel in shorts & never seem to have enough time to worry about changing before dinner. The Maiter D' or head waiter will seat you & inform you that they aren't allowed for the other evenings. You don't have to lie or exaggerate about not receiving your luggage unless you want to since they realize that some people are rushed the first day. Either way you'll have a fine dinner dressed the way you feel most comfortable. As a matter of fact some folks wear shorts on the last day also since they also travel home in them.

Archived