Sorta frustrating question about upgrades

TMJplus1

First, yes, I realize we are down to the wire with our cruise leaving Saturday...but DH and I happened to come in to a little bit of unexpected cash and I was thinking of surprising him with an upgrade. When I call HAL they say yes this is possible but I have to go through my TA (understandable). But when I call my TA she says HAL absolutely does not do this.

Obviously, with only a few days to go I realize the possibility of ironing this out is slim to none. But if any of you seasoned cruisers has an idea that could get me some results either from HAL or my TA in the next 36 hours I would appreciate it! If not...no biggie...we will still enjoy our humble little oceanview cabin. :D

First, yes, I realize we are down to the wire with our cruise leaving Saturday...but DH and I happened to come in to a little bit of unexpected cash and I was thinking of surprising him with an upgrade. When I call HAL they say yes this is possible but I have to go through my TA (understandable). But when I call my TA she says HAL absolutely does not do this.

Obviously, with only a few days to go I realize the possibility of ironing this out is slim to none. But if any of you seasoned cruisers has an idea that could get me some results either from HAL or my TA in the next 36 hours I would appreciate it! If not...no biggie...we will still enjoy our humble little oceanview cabin. :D

If HAL has told you this is possible and your T/A is saying it's not ... suggest you call your T/A and request a three-way call with HAL to iron this out. Hopefully, the person you talked to at HAL was (1) correct and (2) aware of available higher category cabins on your sailing.

1) As Camp637 stated, go to your TA and heve them call HAL on speaker phone and ask about an "upsell".

2) Next time choose a different TA!

We told our TA ahead of time that we we would be welcome to the idea of a redced price Upsell close tot he time of sailing. We even gave her an idea of what we would be willing to pay for an upsell.

She has kept in touch with us and has gotten back to us with upsell offers outside our desired range "just in case".

HAL does upsells all the time. Perhaps your TA thought you were looking for a free upgrade? The language you use often short circuits people listening skills...They hear "Upgrade" vs "upsell" and tune out the rest.

Friends of mine just got an email and purchased an upsell for $99.

HAL most certainly DOES do this.

Your TA either doesn't know:confused: or does know and doesn't want to be bothered?

I just sent an e-mail to my TA asking if there were any upsells for my cruise. Do you know what your friends got for $99? Wondering if they went from an oceanview to a balcony or what they got? I have an oceanview booked and wonder how much extra I would have to pay to go to a balcony? Thanks for any info.

Sorry to say but it sounds like your TA is ill informed, not very ambitious and/or disinterested in serving her clients.

I hope you can get her act in gear and you can buy an upsell.

Have a great cruise.

I have an oceanview booked and wonder how much extra I would have to pay to go to a balcony?
It varies from cruise to cruise, depending on various factors. Sometimes the upsell price is almost the full list price difference.

Is it possible there was a communication breakdown ... that the T/A thought the OP was asking for a free upgrade rather than a paid upsell???

Anything is possible but in the process, OP is not succeeding in buying her upgrade. :(

Anything is possible but in the process, OP is not succeeding in buying her upgrade. :(

Yes, S7S, I recognize that. I was responding to the "your T/A is full of it". Also, if the T/A had understood clearly this to be a paid upgrade, that would mean more commission $$$, albeit minimal, and should have been enuf to get her to make the call to HAL.

Friends of mine just got an email and purchased an upsell for $99.

HAL most certainly DOES do this.

Your TA either doesn't know:confused: or does know and doesn't want to be bothered?

I agree!!! Change TA next time

Yes, S7S, I recognize that. I was responding to the "your T/A is full of it". Also, if the T/A had understood clearly this to be a paid upgrade, that would mean more commission $$$, albeit minimal, and should have been enuf to get her to make the call to HAL.

sail7seas: Sorry to say but it sounds like your TA is ill informed, not very ambitious and/or disinterested in serving her clients.

I hope you can get her act in gear and you can buy an upsell.

Have a great cruise.

:D I should have added 'full of it" to my and/or list. :)

I just sent an e-mail to my TA asking if there were any upsells for my cruise. Do you know what your friends got for $99? Wondering if they went from an oceanview to a balcony or what they got? I have an oceanview booked and wonder how much extra I would have to pay to go to a balcony? Thanks for any info.

They went from a VE to an SY for $99.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting the impression that those who said I'm working with either an ill informed or (for whatever reason) unmotivated TA were pretty close to getting it right. Oh well, I was not really holding out a lot of hope...and don't have time before we leave Friday morning to deal with this anymore...will just have to spend my extra money on a lovely piece of jewelry to remember the trip (and our 10th anniversary) by! :D:D:D

How exciting! Are you going to do a vow renewal or anything? We're planning to renew ours on Half Moon Cay. :)

Wow - you can do that on Half Moon Cay? What's it like? What have you got planned?

We're signed up for the Vow Renewal Ceremony but I think it's just the regular one they offer on the ship at some point (a group gathering from what I've read). My sister and parents also paid for us to have a private cabana on Half Moon Cay (we will be there on our actual anniversary).

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting the impression that those who said I'm working with either an ill informed or (for whatever reason) unmotivated TA were pretty close to getting it right. Oh well, I was not really holding out a lot of hope...and don't have time before we leave Friday morning to deal with this anymore...will just have to spend my extra money on a lovely piece of jewelry to remember the trip (and our 10th anniversary) by! :D:D:D

I would be finding a new TA when I got home. That is ridiculous that she did not make any kind of effort to contact Hal especially since you already had and found out you could get an up-sell. Can I make a suggestion to ask about an up-sell when you get to the pier check in, it never hurts to try. I certainly would tell them this is a special anniversary, your 10th.

But then again a nice piece of jewelry sounds good to me.............

As a retired TA who has sold lots of HAL here is how it works. When we make a reservation for a client the default in HAL's system is that the client will want to be notified of an "upsell"...At the time of making the reservation and the client tells us that they want a specific cabin and do not want a guarantee or upgrade, we tell the res agent to please note the file that client is not interested in any upgrades (free or otherwise)....Hope that clears up your questions.

Archived