Great C&A Response.... NOT

So what I think might be a good compromise:

Get rid of the coupons, Diamond, DD, suite perks, etc.

Lower the price of the cruise by, what, $50 -$100.

Then in about 6-12 months, bring the price back up.

Hey Inflation people.

Then no one can complain about the perks you DO get.

You don't get any ( hey other cruise lines don't )

I just hope that RCCL gets a few "thank you for the coupons, or perks"

They might get the idea, that we just don't want any of them anymore.

Hey it will save them money, not to give them to us.

This is our first cruise with RCCL.

I just wish I would get a coupon book.

I know I would not complain about any of them.

Might not use them, but hey, why ruin it for others that do.

I ate at Del Frisco last time I was in Dallas in April. I like it, but it is not as good as the Palm. The Y.O. Ranch was very good in a saloony kind of way (think of the opposite decor to Del Frisco). I had a Partridge ravioli for an apetizer that the group shared. Everyone was saying how spicey it was and I had a bite and it was quite good, but I didn't think it was spicey. Next morning at the Hilton Anatole I looked in the mirror and I had a blister on my lip from the spice.

I have a parking pass for the cowboy stadium, how bad a zoo will it be and how long before the show should I leave Pappadeaux in order to be in my seat when Muse takes the stage?

jc

jc,

From what I understand, the concert starts at 7pm and they usually open the doors an hour earlier @6pm. Pappadeaux is approx. a 5 minute drive from Cowboys Stadium. Given that it is a Concert night I would allow 10-15 minutes for traffic and getting to your Lot. If you already know in which Lot you are parking go to the Stadium website to see where that lot is located so you know exactly were you are going. Just ask one of the folks working at the restaurant which road to take to the stadium, Texas folks are usually pretty helpful.

Pappadeaux is basically on the frontage road of the south side of Hwy 30 in Arlington. Cowboys Stadium is located on that side of Hwy 30 as well. They really are quite close to each other.

The restaurant does take reservations and their number is 817-543-0544, address is 1304 East Copeland Road, Arlington,TX.

So if you want to get to the Stadium right at 6pm I would make a ressie for 5pm or just a little before that.

Hey, enjoy the concert and I expect a review when you get back. Haven't heard Muse but will check them out.

Colleen

jc,

From what I understand, the concert starts at 7pm and they usually open the doors an hour earlier @6pm. Pappadeaux is approx. a 5 minute drive from Cowboys Stadium. Given that it is a Concert night I would allow 10-15 minutes for traffic and getting to your Lot. If you already know in which Lot you are parking go to the Stadium website to see where that lot is located so you know exactly were you are going. Just ask one of the folks working at the restaurant which road to take to the stadium, Texas folks are usually pretty helpful.

Pappadeaux is basically on the frontage road of the south side of Hwy 30 in Arlington. Cowboys Stadium is located on that side of Hwy 30 as well. They really are quite close to each other.

The restaurant does take reservations and their number is 817-543-0544, address is 1304 East Copeland Road, Arlington,TX.

So if you want to get to the Stadium right at 6pm I would make a ressie for 5pm or just a little before that.

Hey, enjoy the concert and I expect a review when you get back. Haven't heard Muse but will check them out.

Colleen

Thanks Colleen,

I am about to head off to see Mama Mia for like the 10th time. My wife loves it. She will not love Monday night! She still punishes me for forcing her to sit thru Neil Young and Crazy Horse a few years ago. It was when he was doing his hippie Greendale Rock Opera, which is pretty awful, and then after they did the rock opera they basically mutilated 5 old songs for about 90 minutes. She was probably right that time.....

I appreciate your help. :)

jc

amybeth,

I will note those restaurants as I have been to neither. I live Mid-cities in the suburbs between Ft.Worth/Dallas. We have a lot of good restaurants, but I always love getting referrals!!!!

I noted the restaurants to jc that I did because it sounded like he wanted an "upscale" steak house.

Now for a really good dinner, well that would be at my house....but jc and I aren't that close.

LOL!!!!!

Colleen

Colleen,

Yes, he definitely seemed to want more upscale but I had to mention that Texas Blonde. (It MIGH be called Honey Blonde. I always had trouble remembering the name, haha.)

There's a Humperdinks two blocks from Six Flags in Arlington. There's also one in Dallas near I-35 in the Skillman area. Hard to remember. Mariano's is ALSO in Arlington by Six Flags, as well as on Skillman in Dallas. Definitely not upscale but everyone I know (including me) LOVES the food. They make great margarootas. :)

Queso to die for...and they don't serve queso in NY Mexican restaurants. Hello, bowl of liquid cheese???!!! Ooohhh yeah.

Colleen,

Yes, he definitely seemed to want more upscale but I had to mention that Texas Blonde. (It MIGH be called Honey Blonde. I always had trouble remembering the name, haha.)

There's a Humperdinks two blocks from Six Flags in Arlington. There's also one in Dallas near I-35 in the Skillman area. Hard to remember. Mariano's is ALSO in Arlington by Six Flags, as well as on Skillman in Dallas. Definitely not upscale but everyone I know (including me) LOVES the food. They make great margarootas. :)

Queso to die for...and they don't serve queso in NY Mexican restaurants. Hello, bowl of liquid cheese???!!! Ooohhh yeah.

amybeth,

That is one of the plusses of living in Texas (been here 10 years, Northern Girl really) some of the best Tex/Mex restaurants you can find. We have a local restaurant, there is also one in Dallas, called La Hacienda Ranch. Absolutely the BEST Salsa ever!!! Sometimes I just drop in to pick up a big container of the stuff w/Chips to go....for the family at home...haha! It is that good.

New York has GREAT restaurants, but sometimes you need to go to places with the real deal, and the southwest is where you get great Mexican food.

I need an NYC fix soon. Haven't been in awhile.

Colleen

Colleen,

Yes, I think it is Honey Blonde. My husband is kind of a Beer Aficionado, if there is such a thing. He trys everything and loves finding new beers. Honey Blonde definitely rings a bell. But maybe when they serve Honey Blonde in Texas they change the name....LOL!!!!!!!

Colleen

Thanks Colleen,

I am about to head off to see Mama Mia for like the 10th time. My wife loves it. She will not love Monday night! She still punishes me for forcing her to sit thru Neil Young and Crazy Horse a few years ago. It was when he was doing his hippie Greendale Rock Opera, which is pretty awful, and then after they did the rock opera they basically mutilated 5 old songs for about 90 minutes. She was probably right that time.....

I appreciate your help. :)

jc

jc,

No problem.

What I would like to see is Neil Young come around with the Boys one more time (but at American Airlines Center, rather than Cowboys Stadium, too Big). Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young is one act I have never seen live. But of course, they would have to play the good stuff.........

We saw Eric Clapton with Steve Winwood some months back at AAC and they were great!!!! Played a lot of the OLD stuff from Blind Faith which the crowd didn't appreciate as much as me and DH. Their drummer was Abe Laboriel from McCartney's band of the last 10 or so years, very good.

Me...I love a lot of the new music, but give me some of that really good old stuff and I am there front and center, literally!!!

Colleen

BTW, I meant I-75, not I-35.

Mariano's has two kinds of salsa and one is fire roasted and just YUUUUMMY. They also claim that their owner invented the frozen margarita machine. We just can't seem to do the Tex-Mex here in NY. I wish, at least, someone would bring the queso up north!

The first time I had it I was like, "*****!?!?! Where have you been all my life?"

After our last cruise with RCI (our 15th), I emailed how useless I thought that the coupon books were and how we were looking for another cruise line. This was the first time we have written them about a complaint.

This was the response.

I have thanked them for their non-responsive response.

If a coupon book is that important to you then maybe you should look for another cruise line.

I think the reason for auto-generated replies for obviously waste of time complaints should be fairly obvious. Complaining about something that is comped to you whether you like it or not is not something most service companies don't have time to deal with as they are busy dealing with REAL problems.

There are so many me first type attitude people these days I'm sure companies must get thousands of useless complaints and they need a way to deal with the real issues and auto replies to the useless complaints is a good way to do it.

I say you should look for a new line to cruise with as that will lower the odds I have of ending up at your table for dinner. BTW, please don't infiltrate my other fav lines Celebrity and Princess either.....I do think NCL has GREAT useless freebies, give them a shot! :D

wow, tell me what you really think!

Thanks for all the name calling. I appreciate your insight into my issue. Your comment has cut me to the core of my being. I will have to take a half baby aspirin to sleep tonight.

You are so welcome.

BTW, I meant I-75, not I-35.

Mariano's has two kinds of salsa and one is fire roasted and just YUUUUMMY. They also claim that their owner invented the frozen margarita machine. We just can't seem to do the Tex-Mex here in NY. I wish, at least, someone would bring the queso up north!

The first time I had it I was like, "*****!?!?! Where have you been all my life?"

amybeth,

I just realized that the Mexican restaurant near us (La Hacienda) is owned by Mariano's. So I will definitely try Mariano's as I love La Hacienda.

Colleen

I think the reason for auto-generated replies for obviously waste of time complaints should be fairly obvious. Complaining about something that is comped to you whether you like it or not is not something most service companies don't have time to deal with as they are busy dealing with REAL problems.

There are so many me first type attitude people these days I'm sure companies must get thousands of useless complaints and they need a way to deal with the real issues and auto replies to the useless complaints is a good way to do it.

I have to agree. I imagine many of the complaints RCCL is getting these days are only worthy of auto-generated replies. If it's really that worth it to you, then take the time to write to someone high up. I was really upset about continual problems with my cable company, and sent a letter to the CEO of the company. I got a personal call from the VP and now have her e-mail. And I wasn't complaining because I didn't get a free pay-per-view. If you think you are going to get a personalized, hand written note from Adam Goldstein by sending an e-mail to RCI's website, you're going to be disappointed.

Well, yes, anything free they give you is a perk. Since you are not used to getting perks on RCI you won't miss what you never had and may never get.

Some of us went on many, many cruises with RCI and spent many tens of thousands of dollars with them (instead of other cruiselines). We received perks that were promised to us for our continued Loyalty. These perks got better and better the more you cruised with RCI. As you cruised more and more with RCI you continued to receive more and more perks and RCI continued to receive more and more of your money.

It was the best Loyalty Program in the business and it worked like a charm! Then RCI decided to cutback on these perks and did so in manner which was insulting to many of its C & A members, especialy its Diamond members. Insult was added to injury when the cutbacks were called enhancements.

But you never experienced any of this and it didn't happen to you. Since you only cruised with them once, you didn't gain much and you didn't lose much. So yes, you would have no reason to be mad.

Colleen

Sounds like greed to me - people getting mad because they can't get as much free stuff as they believe they should be getting for whatever reason that suits them. Unfortunately, the new American culture.

Sounds like greed to me - people getting mad because they can't get as much free stuff as they believe they should be getting for whatever reason that suits them. Unfortunately, the new American culture.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You sound like a lovely person. Hope you enjoy the boards.

Colleen

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You sound like a lovely person. Hope you enjoy the boards.

Colleen

Thank you! I'm new here, and to cruising, and I'm starting to learn a lot. I'm enjoying myself so far. But I do hope the complaining I've seen here in this thread is an isolated event and not indicative of what I might come across in future threads. One can hope for the best, I guess :)

Thank you! I'm new here, and to cruising, and I'm starting to learn a lot. I'm enjoying myself so far. But I do hope the complaining I've seen here in this thread is an isolated event and not indicative of what I might come across in future threads. One can hope for the best, I guess :)

Remember that those of us on here are only about 5% of the cruising population. Cruising is a wonderful escape and hopefully you will enjoy it as much as most of us do. If wearing jeans or dressy pants is the biggest decision I have on vacation, I don't think I can go wrong! :)

Don't hold your breath, unfortunatly what you see is pretty much par for the course here! :eek: :(

Welcome sloop!

Hate to tell ya but complaining is a daily event here!!

Some topics you will see bring on more complaining and as I call it-it's my way or the highway group.

Or-the name droppers who know every corporate and RCCL employee by first name and spend holidays with them, godparents to their kids so how dare you not share the views of those so in the know. :eek:

Outside of that small group here on CC is a bunch of real nice folks that will give you great information-tips and often a good laugh. And yes, as pointed out-the group of 'complainers' here really take up such a small amount of space on a real ship!! :)

Shrug the rest of the junk off and you'll find the posters that still actually can enjoy a cruise without a gripe!! ;)

amybeth,

I just realized that the Mexican restaurant near us (La Hacienda) is owned by Mariano's. So I will definitely try Mariano's as I love La Hacienda.

Colleen

YES you are correct! :) The setting of the Mariano's on Skillman is a bit nicer but the food is the same at the Arlington branch.

Don't you think that could be related? :rolleyes:

OK review of the weekend.

Expecting lovely weather, we took the wife's convertible, we drove thru the mountains of Arkansas in the rain, but the weather forecast was to be good until Monday. Hot Springs, Arkansas is a declining but very interesting place, kind of lost in a time warp of fading glory. Got up Sunday, really excited to have the top down while driving the Talimena scenic byway overlooking the mountains and forests. It was again rainy and foggy. The fog was so bad up on top of the mountains that it was actually almost impossible to see the road. Ugh... We drive the byway and saw some bits thru the rain and fog. Arrived at the Galleria and the Westin in north Dallas, about 3pm after driving thru bits of SE Oklahoma I had not visited since I was a kid on a family vacation. It is actually lovely country, with very few people. At lunch in Paris Texas at an Applebees.

We wondered thru the Galleria and bought the DW some skinny jeans at Gregory's. Who would pay $250 for blue jeans, apparently I will. then we went to the Lulleman Athletic store, and she went crazy buying several outfits. She loves to support the Canadian economy and our friends in Canada. The mall closed at 6pm, so we went to our room and drank a couple of cans of Sophia (Coppula's pink sparkling wine that are available in excellent travel sized cans) and some mimolette cheese (over priced French cheddar, but yummy) in the room and watched some football while the DW napped after the wine and cheese. We drove in the rain to Downtown Dallas (WestEnd) and went to the Palm. I always forget the one thing that drives me nuts about the Palm. They try to get you to join their dinning club. Fortunately, our server, had recently left our city after her restaurant failed, and understood that eating regularly at the Palm was not an option for us and she mercifully didn't mention it again. I had the filet (9oz is the small one) and the wife have a veal picata, we shared a salad, and I had two glasses of a Malbec from Argentina and she had a Pinot Grigio. We got a key lime pie slice to go, I was shocked at the size of the cakes (good grief like one fifth of a full 5inch high cake).

Monday we shopped at the Galleria, and then at an outlet in Grapevine before the concert and dinner. She bought a purse at the Niemann Marcus store, and we fought the rush hour traffic down to Arlington. The Arlington stadium area is a roadwork nightmare (Colleen you forgot to mention this detail), not to mention the concert road blockages. So, my GPS and I were having a meltdown, I finally figured out where the Pappadeaux was and drove thru a series of parking lots to get their. We were about 20 minutes late and they had just given away our table, but fortunately they offered us the next available. The place was packed with I am sure people heading to the concert. It was Monday night at 5:20pm and it looked like a busy Friday at 8pm. Dinner was excellent and way too much food. I had the Ponchartrain fish and the wife had a halibut special, and the fish had to be 16 oz and she ate most of it. I only ate half of mine. We had a server who was too young to drink legally, and was a bit lost, and we were by the kitchen door, so it was not a romantic experience, that said the food was yummy, and we got out of there in about an hour. So, the drive to the stadium was pretty obvious when I brought the map up on my Iphone since my GPS with newly updated software this summer didn't show the Cowboy Stadium and Silver Lot 12. Gotta love the Iphone.

We arrived at the stadium and made it to our seats by 7pm the shows start. It didn't. We waited til after 7:30 before they dimmed the lights and the Muse boys came on and played really really loud for only about 40 minutes with no encore. It was very dissappointing. The accoustics in the stadium are not very good and the base drowned the lyrics pretty bad. I definitely got the impression that U2 didn't want the Muse show to overdue theirs, and it seemed that Muse was not very happy with the arrangements. I know hope to see them again in a smaller setting with them being the headline act. sigh....

The U2 show is a technological bit of work. Imagine a giant spaceship lunar lander, as it had four giant legs forming a dome over a circular stage that culminated at least 100 feet over the floor, then a rocket like appendage from the roof of the lander with lights going another 60 to 80 feet above it. This stage is only possible in the largest stadiums. The circular stage had a standing area and then another giant circle around the inner ring of people around the base of the lander, with two moveable bridges that the Edge and Bono can run across and bathe their egos in the love of the out throngs as well as the inner throngs. The sound of U2 was much better than Muse although still way way too much bass. Bono is not going to let the music drown him out so I could hear him much better than Matt Bellamy of Muse. Anyway the lander had a bunch of diamond shaped rectangles (probably LCD or Plasma tvs) that hung down from the top of the lander which could show images from the stage or colors etc. These were on a frame that could drop down to stretch the image with holes in it. It was very cool, I can only imagine the cost!!!!! Anyway the U2 show was fine. The Edge is a true professional, Bono is a true ego maniac, but he does have a good stage presence. The concert was good, glad I went, don't need to go again. At the end of the night I remembered why I rarely go to concerts anymore, especially football stadium concerts.

Tuesday we got up and hit the Allen Premium outlets on the way out of town and I bought some boots at the Merrell outlet, then we drove all day and evening home in the rain. Never dropped the top a single time.... sigh freaking sigh....

jc

Don't you think that could be related? :rolleyes:

OK review of the weekend.

Expecting lovely weather, we took the wife's convertible, we drove thru the mountains of Arkansas in the rain, but the weather forecast was to be good until Monday. Hot Springs, Arkansas is a declining but very interesting place, kind of lost in a time warp of fading glory. Got up Sunday, really excited to have the top down while driving the Talimena scenic byway overlooking the mountains and forests. It was again rainy and foggy. The fog was so bad up on top of the mountains that it was actually almost impossible to see the road. Ugh... We drive the byway and saw some bits thru the rain and fog. Arrived at the Galleria and the Westin in north Dallas, about 3pm after driving thru bits of SE Oklahoma I had not visited since I was a kid on a family vacation. It is actually lovely country, with very few people. At lunch in Paris Texas at an Applebees.

We wondered thru the Galleria and bought the DW some skinny jeans at Gregory's. Who would pay $250 for blue jeans, apparently I will. then we went to the Lulleman Athletic store, and she went crazy buying several outfits. She loves to support the Canadian economy and our friends in Canada. The mall closed at 6pm, so we went to our room and drank a couple of cans of Sophia (Coppula's pink sparkling wine that are available in excellent travel sized cans) and some mimolette cheese (over priced French cheddar, but yummy) in the room and watched some football while the DW napped after the wine and cheese. We drove in the rain to Downtown Dallas (WestEnd) and went to the Palm. I always forget the one thing that drives me nuts about the Palm. They try to get you to join their dinning club. Fortunately, our server, had recently left our city after her restaurant failed, and understood that eating regularly at the Palm was not an option for us and she mercifully didn't mention it again. I had the filet (9oz is the small one) and the wife have a veal picata, we shared a salad, and I had two glasses of a Malbec from Argentina and she had a Pinot Grigio. We got a key lime pie slice to go, I was shocked at the size of the cakes (good grief like one fifth of a full 5inch high cake).

Monday we shopped at the Galleria, and then at an outlet in Grapevine before the concert and dinner. She bought a purse at the Niemann Marcus store, and we fought the rush hour traffic down to Arlington. The Arlington stadium area is a roadwork nightmare (Colleen you forgot to mention this detail), not to mention the concert road blockages. So, my GPS and I were having a meltdown, I finally figured out where the Pappadeaux was and drove thru a series of parking lots to get their. We were about 20 minutes late and they had just given away our table, but fortunately they offered us the next available. The place was packed with I am sure people heading to the concert. It was Monday night at 5:20pm and it looked like a busy Friday at 8pm. Dinner was excellent and way too much food. I had the Ponchartrain fish and the wife had a halibut special, and the fish had to be 16 oz and she ate most of it. I only ate half of mine. We had a server who was too young to drink legally, and was a bit lost, and we were by the kitchen door, so it was not a romantic experience, that said the food was yummy, and we got out of there in about an hour. So, the drive to the stadium was pretty obvious when I brought the map up on my Iphone since my GPS with newly updated software this summer didn't show the Cowboy Stadium and Silver Lot 12. Gotta love the Iphone.

We arrived at the stadium and made it to our seats by 7pm the shows start. It didn't. We waited til after 7:30 before they dimmed the lights and the Muse boys came on and played really really loud for only about 40 minutes with no encore. It was very dissappointing. The accoustics in the stadium are not very good and the base drowned the lyrics pretty bad. I definitely got the impression that U2 didn't want the Muse show to overdue theirs, and it seemed that Muse was not very happy with the arrangements. I know hope to see them again in a smaller setting with them being the headline act. sigh....

The U2 show is a technological bit of work. Imagine a giant spaceship lunar lander, as it had four giant legs forming a dome over a circular stage that culminated at least 100 feet over the floor, then a rocket like appendage from the roof of the lander with lights going another 60 to 80 feet above it. This stage is only possible in the largest stadiums. The circular stage had a standing area and then another giant circle around the inner ring of people around the base of the lander, with two moveable bridges that the Edge and Bono can run across and bathe their egos in the love of the out throngs as well as the inner throngs. The sound of U2 was much better than Muse although still way way too much bass. Bono is not going to let the music drown him out so I could hear him much better than Matt Bellamy of Muse. Anyway the lander had a bunch of diamond shaped rectangles (probably LCD or Plasma tvs) that hung down from the top of the lander which could show images from the stage or colors etc. These were on a frame that could drop down to stretch the image with holes in it. It was very cool, I can only imagine the cost!!!!! Anyway the U2 show was fine. The Edge is a true professional, Bono is a true ego maniac, but he does have a good stage presence. The concert was good, glad I went, don't need to go again. At the end of the night I remembered why I rarely go to concerts anymore, especially football stadium concerts.

Tuesday we got up and hit the Allen Premium outlets on the way out of town and I bought some boots at the Merrell outlet, then we drove all day and evening home in the rain. Never dropped the top a single time.... sigh freaking sigh....

jc

jc,

Glad you enjoyed your weekend in Dallas, sorry about the weather. I thought I did mention the road work around the stadium but looking back I did not. It is a bit of a mess over there still. Sorry.

Now you know why I wasn't too thrilled with Cowboys Stadium as a concert venue. When we saw Paul McCartney there I was not as happy with the sound as I had been when we saw him at American Airlines Center. The only saving grace was we were up front 3rd row center on the floor at Cowboys so it wasn't too bad. Cowboys Stadium is just too big. Football Stadiums are for football, not concerts, but I fear Jerry will keep booking them to makes lots of $$$.

There was a big write up in the paper about the stage set up for the show and what it cost, etc. Seems like they all just want to one up the next with some of this stuff.

I go to hear the Music and see the artist, can do without the rest. Oh, well hope they can still book some top acts at AAC.

Looks like your wife came out ok on the shopping tho.....

Colleen

Archived