Great C&A Response.... NOT

After our last cruise with RCI (our 15th), I emailed how useless I thought that the coupon books were and how we were looking for another cruise line. This was the first time we have written them about a complaint.

This was the response.

Dear Tom:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the changes to the Crown & Anchor Society. We apologize for any delay in our response. We appreciate hearing your comments and suggestions regarding the welcome back gift and the ultimate value booklet. We have noted these suggestions in our monthly survey, which is used in future decision making purposes. The Crown & Anchor Society members will continue to receive their most valued benefits such as discounts on cruises, special onboard recognition and more. Our Platinum and Diamond members also will continue to receive discounts on balcony and suite category staterooms and priority embarkation and debarkation.

Our changes include a new Ultimate Value Booklet with coupons for various onboard amenities, a combined Welcome Back event for all members with special access to the Captain and featured Officers. This will be a more special event produced with our Entertainment and Guest Activities department. We will recognize the Crown & Anchor Society members during this event. We will also be offering an upgraded wine tasting event at a special price!

We have also enhanced the guest experience with My Time Dining, Pre-cruise online booking of shore excursions, beverage packages and specialty dining. We have upgraded suite services and amenities with an enhanced departure process and new programming for our kids and families onboard. New pool-side towel service is available and more! Look for details on all of these services online at www.royalcaribbean.com.

As a company, we are always looking at all of our guests services, programs and amenities to make sure we create a satisfying cruise vacation on all of our ships. We also constantly measure and evaluate the satisfaction of our guests and if there are services or amenities that are undervalued or not providing the ultimate experience for our members, we work to improve or simply remove that feature or amenity and use those dollars to implement an alternative that is more gratifying overall for our guests.

The Crown & Anchor Society members and past guests are important to us, and this is reflected in everything we do here at Royal Caribbean International. We hope that the overall new services, programs and amenities along with Gold Anchor Service provided by our dedicated staff and crew are valuable to your experience.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding the new Crown & Anchor Changes, and assure you it will be properly documented and utilized for future decision-making purposes.

Tom, we look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

I have thanked them for their non-responsive response.

LOL - I had similar exchanges with them about a fairly minor complaint.

The one person kept sending non-responses. I didn't want anything from them - I just wanted someone to acknowledge my issue. Finally, she handed my emails off to someone else who actually read what I wrote. :rolleyes:

I usually don't comment on these type thread but I guess I'll break my vow of don't get involved.

My question to you is what did you expect? You and so many are starting to complain about FREE stuff so often-I'm sure they have had enough and are going to mostly-if not all-a computer generated response.

If a crappy coupon book makes you sail another line-oh well! I didn't think people actually cruised on one line for a coupon book. I thought people cruised because they actually enjoyed a vacation :confused:

I don't know about the OP, but I just wanted someone to acknowledge my complaint. I didn't want any type of compensation, nothing they could do about it - but I wanted a real answer to my email - not a non-answer that had absolutely nothing to do with my original email.

I don't know about the OP, but I just wanted someone to acknowledge my complaint. I didn't want any type of compensation, nothing they could do about it - but I wanted a real answer to my email - not a non-answer that had absolutely nothing to do with my original email.

I think that is what most people want when they have a problem or a complaint. To have their situation acknowledged. Not to be blown off. Really, a company like RCCL is customer service driven.Sending letters like the one above will drive people away for whatever reason. The letter showed that they were not interested at all in what they had to say. They said they told RCCL that they would no longer be cruisng with them. I agree that is harsh over a coupon book, but how harsh was it when RCCL basically says I didn't even read your letter when at the end they looked forward to welcoming back again? Another poster had the same experience over something else..People want to feel like they matter and are being heard.

Not all responses are canned. Here is an email I sent last month (Sep 2 @ 5:11 PM) followed by the response I received from Mr Goldstein @ 9:06 PM (4 hours later). While the coupon book has lost value, as others have pointed out if you don't like them don't use them. I use the one's that have value to me and toss the rest (no big deal).

Shareholder Staff, Mr. Fain and Mr. Goldstein,

Thank you for the quick response to my request.

While I understand that RCI has changed their benefits program, I do not understand the logic behind these changes and respectfully ask for an explanation to help me understand the reasoning behind the decisions.

As a C&A Diamond Member, I am rewarded for being a loyal customer. One of the benefits is receiving a discount when booking a balcony or suite. I am also a stockholder in the company. A benefit of investing (and risking) my money has been a nominal On Board Credit (OBC). This has nothing to do with being a loyal customer as a first time cruiser could receive this benefit.

If one can no longer combine offers (C&A Discount, C&A coupons (why even have them for anything but inside or outside cabins as the balcony discount is usually better), Shareholder Credit, and I also assume VISA points (again a perk of doing business with Bank of America) what is the reward for being loyal to your company?

I will admit I like RCI and the product they provide. While that product has deteriorated over the last few years, I still enjoy cruising with RCI. However, the more you irritate loyal customers by cutting back on perquisites the more other vacation options are looked at and compared dollar for dollar.

My first cruise was 10 years ago on Sovereign of the Seas and I have taken many cruises since then. I fell in love with your product. Tried Carnival and was thoroughly disappointed when compared to RCI. A few years ago we tried Celebrity and again it didn’t meet our expectations (a shame since it is owned by RCI and should have at least the same level of service if not better).

I booked this particular cruise at the last minute to recharge our batteries. I also have a Back-to-Back cruise scheduled for November 22 – December 6, 2009 and another Back-to-Back scheduled for March 13 – 27, 2011. As you can see from my record, I like to cruise and usually plan in advance.

While I will not make idol threats about never sailing with RCI, I am beginning to feel that as a loyal and frequent customer (I have even introduced people to cruising on RCI), I am being taken for granted and that is never good for business.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Response from Mr Goldstein:

Thank you Michael. You obviously have great loyalty to our company and we sincerely appreciate it.

The economics of allowing combinability of the various discounts is not viable for our company and in fact we never intended to allow it. Unfortunately we did and therefore loyal customers such as yourself are justifiably upset that we have changed our policy. By allowing our customers to choose the discount opportunity that is most desirable for their booking we are engaging in a very common practice.

With regard to the shareholder discount specifically, although we are pleased to provide such an offer to those guests who choose to benefit from it, the primary reason to invest in our shares should be that the buyer believes the share price will appreciate and provide an acceptable return on investment.

We are proud of the products and services we offer and believe the introduction of the Freedom-class of ships over the last three years represents the opposite of cutting back on our product. We have made and will continue to make adjustments to our offering as we have always done. Our recent announcements of My Time Dining and Choice Air reflect our commitment to continuous improvement. Next month's delivery of Oasis of the Seas will of course mark a new highlight in our history.

I look forward to having you back onboard. Thank you again for taking the time to express your concerns.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

After our last cruise with RCI (our 15th), I emailed how useless I thought that the coupon books were and how we were looking for another cruise line. This was the first time we have written them about a complaint.

You need to read some books on how to effectively complain. Never tell them you don't plan to use them again.

I usually don't comment on these type thread but I guess I'll break my vow of don't get involved.

My question to you is what did you expect? You and so many are starting to complain about FREE stuff so often-I'm sure they have had enough and are going to mostly-if not all-a computer generated response.

If a crappy coupon book makes you sail another line-oh well! I didn't think people actually cruised on one line for a coupon book. I thought people cruised because they actually enjoyed a vacation :confused:

Ditto!

Wow...I agree the coupons have taken a dive but changing cruise lines over a coupon book is a bit of an over reaction.

Double ditto!!

If you look at all other frequent cruisers programs, you'll find that RCI and Celebrity's are the best. Starting over with any other line will never provide anything remotely comparable to RCI.

I don't understand???

On the other hand, I have been on 5 RC cruises but had only been given credit for 4. I wanted that 5th before I cruise next summer to get the Platinum status. Our first cruise was our honeymoon in 1986 on Song of America that we did not receive credit over the years, for some reason. After a couple of email exchanges, C & A told us what we needed to get credit. We dragged out the honeymoon pictures, faxed them a couple that had ship name and itinerary and within 48 hours had given us credit and updated us to Platinum on our account. In my mind, customer service couldn't have been better. They even followed up with a voice mail. It couldn't have gone smoother.

Well said, I agree 100%. I don't complain about anything free that someone wants to give, whether the gesture seems crappy or not. I've sailed on RCCL and RCCL only, and will remain loyal to them, freebies or not.

I thought the reply was more than adequate. It explains the program in an overview. Would you expect RCCL to tell you that we will change the coupons immediately because of "your" comments. I don't think so. I think the coupons are fine. I don't go on the cruise to get a coupon book and I like a "good deal" just like everyone else.

If you need to make a change because RCCL has had to make changes to make a profit then by all means I am sure they would not want you to have to do something you don't want to do. Make the change but very silly in my opinion. I am a Diamond Member because I love cruising with RCCL not because I expect a better coupon book or access to the concierge lounge. To each his own though.

This was the response.

Yeah, that is definitely a non-responsive response! Agghhh! I hate it when customer service seems to get lost!

I THINK the OP was looking more for a letter that wasn't a COMPLETE form letter, but instead, a letter that was an actual response. He (she? Tom? Sara?) might have been more satisfied just to get a letter that said something like, "Times are tough and we've had to decrease the value of our crapfest coupons to super crapfest coupons."

I loved the part of the letter where they push the "poolside towel service." Yeah, I MUCH prefer no longer getting a pool towel in my cabin, but instead having to stand in line to sign one out and then pay $20 if something happens to it or if someone makes a mistake...lol

:)

Not all responses are canned. Here is an email I sent last month (Sep 2 @ 5:11 PM) followed by the response I received from Mr Goldstein @ 9:06 PM (4 hours later). While the coupon book has lost value, as others have pointed out if you don't like them don't use them. I use the one's that have value to me and toss the rest (no big deal).

Shareholder Staff, Mr. Fain and Mr. Goldstein,

Thank you for the quick response to my request.

While I understand that RCI has changed their benefits program, I do not understand the logic behind these changes and respectfully ask for an explanation to help me understand the reasoning behind the decisions.

As a C&A Diamond Member, I am rewarded for being a loyal customer. One of the benefits is receiving a discount when booking a balcony or suite. I am also a stockholder in the company. A benefit of investing (and risking) my money has been a nominal On Board Credit (OBC). This has nothing to do with being a loyal customer as a first time cruiser could receive this benefit.

If one can no longer combine offers (C&A Discount, C&A coupons (why even have them for anything but inside or outside cabins as the balcony discount is usually better), Shareholder Credit, and I also assume VISA points (again a perk of doing business with Bank of America) what is the reward for being loyal to your company?

I will admit I like RCI and the product they provide. While that product has deteriorated over the last few years, I still enjoy cruising with RCI. However, the more you irritate loyal customers by cutting back on perquisites the more other vacation options are looked at and compared dollar for dollar.

My first cruise was 10 years ago on Sovereign of the Seas and I have taken many cruises since then. I fell in love with your product. Tried Carnival and was thoroughly disappointed when compared to RCI. A few years ago we tried Celebrity and again it didn’t meet our expectations (a shame since it is owned by RCI and should have at least the same level of service if not better).

I booked this particular cruise at the last minute to recharge our batteries. I also have a Back-to-Back cruise scheduled for November 22 – December 6, 2009 and another Back-to-Back scheduled for March 13 – 27, 2011. As you can see from my record, I like to cruise and usually plan in advance.

While I will not make idol threats about never sailing with RCI, I am beginning to feel that as a loyal and frequent customer (I have even introduced people to cruising on RCI), I am being taken for granted and that is never good for business.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Response from Mr Goldstein:

Thank you Michael. You obviously have great loyalty to our company and we sincerely appreciate it.

The economics of allowing combinability of the various discounts is not viable for our company and in fact we never intended to allow it. Unfortunately we did and therefore loyal customers such as yourself are justifiably upset that we have changed our policy. By allowing our customers to choose the discount opportunity that is most desirable for their booking we are engaging in a very common practice.

With regard to the shareholder discount specifically, although we are pleased to provide such an offer to those guests who choose to benefit from it, the primary reason to invest in our shares should be that the buyer believes the share price will appreciate and provide an acceptable return on investment.

We are proud of the products and services we offer and believe the introduction of the Freedom-class of ships over the last three years represents the opposite of cutting back on our product. We have made and will continue to make adjustments to our offering as we have always done. Our recent announcements of My Time Dining and Choice Air reflect our commitment to continuous improvement. Next month's delivery of Oasis of the Seas will of course mark a new highlight in our history.

I look forward to having you back onboard. Thank you again for taking the time to express your concerns.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

EXCELLENT letter..................probably should win the prize for best written!!! And at least the response you got actually addressed your issues......

enjoy your future cruises!! thanks for sharing!!!

I cruise RCCL because I enjoy it. However, I completely understand what the OP is saying. I don't feel I get any benefits or apprecation for remaining loyal. While the balcony discount is a nice gesture, the price difference is still too great for my budget.

I don't think a free drink instead of buy one get one would break them.

I have to give them credit for the "positive spin" they've placed on the poolside towel service and My Time Dining! The poolside towel service makes things more inconvenient. If I want to take the towel on shore for an excursion I have to go up and get one first. Also, there's the fact that I now have to watch it all the time because it's now basically a $20.00 bill!

MTD might be nice for some but isn't for me.

Will any of this ruin my vacation or bring me down? No Way! But I can certainly understand why people have issues with it. At least with loyalty to airlines you can get free upgrades, grocery stores offer coupons, credit cards and gas stations offer cash back etc.

I THINK the OP was looking more for a letter that wasn't a COMPLETE form letter, but instead, a letter that was an actual response. He (she? Tom? Sara?) might have been more satisfied just to get a letter that said something like, "Times are tough and we've had to decrease the value of our crapfest coupons to super crapfest coupons."

I loved the part of the letter where they push the "poolside towel service." Yeah, I MUCH prefer no longer getting a pool towel in my cabin, but instead having to stand in line to sign one out and then pay $20 if something happens to it or if someone makes a mistake...lol

:)

That coupon comment is makin' me laugh.

Actually I wasn't looking for anything to be done. Just to act like they acknowledged the issue. I knew about MTD. I knew about the C&A cruises. I had 15 cruises with them and have another one planned next May to Alaska.

Yes, I was complaining about free stuff. I buy Disney stock and they give me a free day at the park. I haven't spent nearly the money for stock that I have for 15 cruises with RCI. I wasn't looking for a free cruise. I wasn't looking for an upgrade. I was looking for at least a show of loyalty.

I understand what many of you are saying. I wrote because I was sad at how they have taken a good program for loyal cruisers and turned it into what AmyBeth4 called "super crapfest coupons".

Archived