Great C&A Response.... NOT

Wolfie,

I didn't see the massage thread until it had already been locked, that said, I couldn't seem to think of what I could possibly say about that, except... ok one thing. If I was a 10 year old brat, and my mommy wanted to spoil me a bit more with a massage, I would say, umm how bout you give me another 100 bucks for the arcade and you can go get a massage while I zap some space aliens.

Feel free to natter away. I had the strength to stay away from this for quite a while, but I am weak. I just have to give in if the insanity goes on long enough.

Ok, since I have you and Coleen in the same room, convince me I should stray and eat beyond my normal Dallas eats this weekend. I am torn between the Palm, Pappadeaux, and some steak place (with non beef stuff) across the street from the Palm. Convince me to branch out to something new. I hit big D Sunday evening... just in time for dinner.

jc

jc,

There is a Bob's Steak and Chop House on Lemmon Ave and of course Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House that is a little farther away from the West End on Spring Valley Rd near the Galleria. They are both Very Good Steak Houses. The Steak Place you are talking about across from the Palm is Y.O. Ranch Steakhouse on Ross Avenue, which I have never been to but is supposed to be very good. They all have pretty good websites if you want to check them out.

I am also a Pappadeaux fan and there is a Pappadeux right near the Cowboys Stadium, so you might consider that for a pre-concert dinner on Monday.

Colleen

After our last cruise with RCI (our 15th), I emailed how useless I thought that the coupon books were and how we were looking for another cruise line. This was the first time we have written them about a complaint.

This was the response.

I have thanked them for their non-responsive response.

Don't you just love form letters? They say so much that is truly meaningful!

If *I* was in the DFW area, I'd race right over to Humperdinks. Typical sports bar food but the BEST beer I've had in the country...the Texas Blonde. Yuuuuum!!!

Or I'd go to Mariano's on Skillman for some good Mexican.

If *I* was in the DFW area, I'd race right over to Humperdinks. Typical sports bar food but the BEST beer I've had in the country...the Texas Blonde. Yuuuuum!!!

Or I'd go to Mariano's on Skillman for some good Mexican.

amybeth,

I will note those restaurants as I have been to neither. I live Mid-cities in the suburbs between Ft.Worth/Dallas. We have a lot of good restaurants, but I always love getting referrals!!!!

I noted the restaurants to jc that I did because it sounded like he wanted an "upscale" steak house.

Now for a really good dinner, well that would be at my house....but jc and I aren't that close.

LOL!!!!!

Colleen

jc,

There is a Bob's Steak and Chop House on Lemmon Ave and of course Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House that is a little farther away from the West End on Spring Valley Rd near the Galleria. They are both Very Good Steak Houses. The Steak Place you are talking about across from the Palm is Y.O. Ranch Steakhouse on Ross Avenue, which I have never been to but is supposed to be very good. They all have pretty good websites if you want to check them out.

I am also a Pappadeaux fan and there is a Pappadeux right near the Cowboys Stadium, so you might consider that for a pre-concert dinner on Monday.

Colleen

I ate at Del Frisco last time I was in Dallas in April. I like it, but it is not as good as the Palm. The Y.O. Ranch was very good in a saloony kind of way (think of the opposite decor to Del Frisco). I had a Partridge ravioli for an apetizer that the group shared. Everyone was saying how spicey it was and I had a bite and it was quite good, but I didn't think it was spicey. Next morning at the Hilton Anatole I looked in the mirror and I had a blister on my lip from the spice.

I have a parking pass for the cowboy stadium, how bad a zoo will it be and how long before the show should I leave Pappadeaux in order to be in my seat when Muse takes the stage?

jc

Debde,

Correct. Only most of us were not doing that. They could have figured out who wasn't spending on board, who plopped themselves in the Lounge for drink after drink, etc.

But they didn't and the result was that they ROYALLY pissed off a lot of Loyal customers.

Like wolfganghowell said, that is the last thing you do as a business.

As far as more cuts to the loyalty program coming, oh I fully expect it. The people who are DP now or who are rushing to become DP are going to be very unhappy sometime soon. And I will know how they feel.

A good loyalty program rewards their most lucrative customers. RCI isn't doing that.

But hey, that is cool. The only RCI cruise I have booked is one that has been booked since August, 2008. This is the first time I haven't got several cruises booked out with RCI in a long time. And I don't think I am the only one.

JMO,

Colleen

So tell me about the great benefits you are going to find elsewhere. What other cruise line provides the kind of coupon book that we enjoyed from RCL, and what other cruise line let's you combine benefits. I bought the stock at $40 and some at $17 so I am not a happy camper with the current price, but . . . the information on the stockholders program was clear that the benefits were subject to change. RCL appears to be bringing their benefit package more in line with other companies. In this economy, any company worth its salt is having to review expenditures -should we be we surprised that cruise companies are doing the same. Am I happy about not being able to combine benefits or with the new coupon books - of course not. But it's clear why it had to happen.

Oh, goodie, a highjacking!:D

Hey is there a BJ's Brewhouse up there. We ate at BJ's last night here and the food was scrumptious! Their beer is pretty good too.

I was stuck in BJ's several years ago when UNC lost to Florida in the Final Four. That sucked, bad memories. ;)

jc

I don't think I would book a cruise because I think I might get $20-$30 benefit in coupons while spending $1,000-$1,500 for the cruise.

I think the coupons have also gone down hill. It is a shame that the effort (rewarding returning passengers) is being watered down IMO. You have to think though that they are getting 'input' from some group of target passengers to see if these coupons are okay.

Hope everyone has a great cruise without needing a coupon to make it a great cruise! :)

I don't cruise RCI because of the coupon books. In fact, other than Johnny Rockets, I don't think we have ever used them. Had I sent a letter complaining about what was given to me, I would have expected to receive the same canned response you did.

Sorry brief hijacking to answer jc ;)

I like Pappadeaux - for a chain, it's pretty decent food. Fun loud atmosphere, probably a good pre-concert choice.

Haven't been to the Palm in years but I'm sure the food quality is still good. Yeah - Bob's is amazing but open your wallet....no...open it wider...empty it...there you go. :) Go figure, my fave steak place here is The Keg and that's a Canadian chain. But the price is reasonable, food quality and service top notch and they have a carrot cake that easily feeds 4 people.

Humperdincks and BJ's are chains and are fine, predictable - I think of them more as after work bars than a good dinner though.

Just my two cents -

now back to our regularly schedule whining about lack of perks and personal responses.

Several posters on this thread complained about responses recieved from RCL. Last month we sailed on Crown Princess and missed 4 ports because of weather. Many pax were unhappy, but we felt that the captain made prudent decisions. My wife wrote a letter of support to him and received a reply that began . . . "Thank you for your letter of support/complaint . . . ." You would think they could at least have TWO form letters available - one to respond to letters of support and one to respond to letters complaining about some action. By far the worst response letter we have ever recieved from a corporation. By the way it was a great itinerary and a good cruise but a lousy coupon book.

If you look at all other frequent cruisers programs, you'll find that RCI and Celebrity's are the best. Starting over with any other line will never provide anything remotely comparable to RCI.

I do and Princess has the best perks for loyalty of all cruises, they put RCL to shame.

Sorry brief hijacking to answer jc ;)

I like Pappadeaux - for a chain, it's pretty decent food. Fun loud atmosphere, probably a good pre-concert choice.

Haven't been to the Palm in years but I'm sure the food quality is still good. Yeah - Bob's is amazing but open your wallet....no...open it wider...empty it...there you go. :) Go figure, my fave steak place here is The Keg and that's a Canadian chain. But the price is reasonable, food quality and service top notch and they have a carrot cake that easily feeds 4 people.

Humperdincks and BJ's are chains and are fine, predictable - I think of them more as after work bars than a good dinner though.

Just my two cents -

now back to our regularly schedule whining about lack of perks and personal responses.

Thanks Wolfie!

I don't really like opening my wallet and then opening it wider no a bit wider... Yikes. Reminds me of a guy weekend 20 years ago to play golf, go to a baseball game, then strip club then get up play golf. The guy I was sharing a room with was so drunk, he stood at the stage giving the young girl all of the money in his wallet without evening looking at her. I finally walked up and took his wallet from him then took him accross the street to our hotel. Egads. :D

So, scratch Bob's sounds like a place I need to go with a vendor next time in Dallas! That is assuming that there will still be expense accounts by the time I next return to Dallas for business. :(

You think of Pappadeaux as a chain, but not in my part of the world they simply don't exist. I love New Orleans food, I learned to cook from Paul Prudhomes book. Take 2 sticks of butter, Andoulie Sausage....

I have eaten at the Keg, we stayed at the Embassey Suites in Niagara Falls last year about this time and the restaurant in the hotel was The Keg. Very good for a Canadian restaurant, eh...;)

I think the Palm, with the Key Lime Pie after...

thanks ladies

jc

It is my experience that if you have a legit complaint you will receive a personal, respectful reply. I have had a couple of complaints and have always received a respectful, personal reply. Now come on....if you are actually complaining about a coupon booklet, you can't really expect ANYONE to take that seriously. They actually probabaly laughed their heads off while sending their canned reply. Its time for people to stop complaining about every little thing and start appreciating what they do offer us as cruisers. If you can't do this, then by all means, please go elsewhere. You put a black mark on all RCCL cruisers when you do such foolish things. It doesn't matter how much you spend with RCCL or how "loyal" you profess to be or how often you have sailed with them, you are still being a cad! Grow up.

jdh - You were fortunate. Most of the emails I've sent, unless I push the issue are responded to with a canned reply that has little to do with the issue being raised. The responses I received to an email I sent in June are an example of a form email being sent out with no relationship to the questions being asked. I sent a follow up email restating my question, again I received a nonsensical reply. My 3rd attempt - rudely worded finally garnered a somewhat more personal response, with no acknowledgement of the suggestion I included with my first 2 emails. I did email back and thank her for actually reading my email - I let her know it was appreciated.

I think they must have liked the form condolence letter used in Catch 22. ;) Dear Sir/Madam, We are very sorry about the loss of your husband/son/cousin/uncle from.....

I do and Princess has the best perks for loyalty of all cruises, they put RCL to shame.

Just got off of Crown Princess after 18 days - I'm still looking for my perks!!! Elite members (you need 15 cruises or a ton of days) got some free internet, some free laundry, a little booze in the cabin, priority boarding. As a lowly gold member after 3 cruises and 46 days I got a useless coupon book. But . . . as often stated . . . who cruises for the perks? As for my experience with Princess - great itineraries, good service, poorly designed, overcrowded ships, and poor loyalty program.

You think of Pappadeaux as a chain, but not in my part of the world they simply don't exist. I love New Orleans food, I learned to cook from Paul Prudhomes book. Take 2 sticks of butter, Andoulie Sausage....

I am shocked and disappointed in you, jc! :D

Pappadeaux is indeed a chain. (yes, I know you are aware of that - hence my shock :p) Even our suburb of Cincy has one. I have been to it (work get togethers) and ones in other places when visiting friends. Food is fine (not great) but the general noise level is always higher than I prefer for nice dinner conversation. And this has been at every one I have experienced.....

I am shocked and disappointed in you, jc! :D

Pappadeaux is indeed a chain. (yes, I know you are aware of that - hence my shock :p) Even our suburb of Cincy has one. I have been to it (work get togethers) and ones in other places when visiting friends. Food is fine (not great) but the general noise level is always higher than I prefer for nice dinner conversation. And this has been at every one I have experienced.....

Well, I am going to a rock concert afterwards, and not a book club. So, I think Coleen's advice on this one matter is very good. Now if she will just tell me when I need to eat my dinner so that I don't miss the opening song by Muse. Trust me Muse is not like listening to a string Quartet playing Beethoven in the gardens of the Villa Rufulo in Ravello like I have done on some of my past trips. Then U2 whom I think you have heard of is the main act, again not exactly chamber music. So, a little noise and clatter sounds fairly appropriate. Again, we do not have a food equivalent in my little backwater town, so if someone can recommend a similar eating experience sans the chain designation, I would be O so pleased.

If you want to experience Muse music they have a great web site where all of their stuff is available to stream, in case you are curious as to what kind of music, that crazy xpcdoojk guy will drive a long way to hear. They even stream their videos, I recommend "Sing for Absolution", "Starlight" and "Knights of Cyradonia". The last one is a campy take off of Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns of the 60s and 70s.

muse.mu

jc

Well, I am going to a rock concert afterwards, and not a book club. So, I think Coleen's advice on this one matter is very good. Now if she will just tell me when I need to eat my dinner so that I don't miss the opening song by Muse. Trust me Muse is not like listening to a string Quartet playing Beethoven in the gardens of the Villa Rufulo in Ravello like I have done on some of my past trips. Then U2 whom I think you have heard of is the main act, again not exactly chamber music. So, a little noise and clatter sounds fairly appropriate. Again, we do not have a food equivalent in my little backwater town, so if someone can recommend a similar eating experience sans the chain designation, I would be O so pleased.

If you want to experience Muse music they have a great web site where all of their stuff is available to stream, in case you are curious as to what kind of music, that crazy xpcdoojk guy will drive a long way to hear. They even stream their videos, I recommend "Sing for Absolution", "Starlight" and "Knights of Cyradonia". The last one is a campy take off of Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns of the 60s and 70s.

muse.mu

jc

How did a book club get into this discussion? :confused: And what does "going to a rock concert after" have to do with preferring a dining experience where you don't have to raise your voice to talk to the person across the table from you? :D

Sorry, I just find P's noisy - maybe some bean counter decided that sound absorbing materials were a luxury they could pass on chainwide....... ;)

How did a book club get into this discussion? :confused: And what does "going to a rock concert after" have to do with preferring a dining experience where you don't have to raise your voice to talk to the person across the table from you? :D

Sorry, I just find P's noisy - maybe some bean counter decided that sound absorbing materials were a luxury they could pass on chainwide....... ;)

Well, in fairness, the conversation will be with my beloved wife of 28 + years.... :eek:, and your arguements are not carrying the debate.

In fairness of complete disclosure, The Palm is a chain, too. ;)

jc

Well, in fairness, the conversation will be with my beloved wife of 28 + years.... :eek:, and your arguements are not carrying the debate.

In fairness of complete disclosure, The Palm is a chain, too. ;)

jc

In fairness of complete disclosure (on my part), I think it sounds like a fun weekend. However, I must also add that when I dine with my beloved husband of 36+ years I STILL (36 years later) like to hear what he is saying...... :D And I am sure you noted that I did say that I have eaten at a P's more than once (and in more than one location) so obviously I am not adverse to them. I would just make an alternate choice if a good one were presented - that is all. :)

It is my experience that if you have a legit complaint you will receive a personal, respectful reply. I have had a couple of complaints and have always received a respectful, personal reply. Now come on....if you are actually complaining about a coupon booklet, you can't really expect ANYONE to take that seriously. They actually probabaly laughed their heads off while sending their canned reply. Its time for people to stop complaining about every little thing and start appreciating what they do offer us as cruisers. If you can't do this, then by all means, please go elsewhere. You put a black mark on all RCCL cruisers when you do such foolish things. It doesn't matter how much you spend with RCCL or how "loyal" you profess to be or how often you have sailed with them, you are still being a cad! Grow up.

wow, tell me what you really think!

Thanks for all the name calling. I appreciate your insight into my issue. Your comment has cut me to the core of my being. I will have to take a half baby aspirin to sleep tonight.

In fairness of complete disclosure (on my part), I think it sounds like a fun weekend. However, I must also add that when I dine with my beloved husband of 36+ years I STILL (36 years later) like to hear what he is saying...... :D And I am sure you noted that I did say that I have eaten at a P's more than once (and in more than one location) so obviously I am not adverse to them. I would just make an alternate choice if a good one were presented - that is all. :)

One in a million, obviously. :D

Remember Coleen's uniquely good assessment that the P's in question is near the Cowboy Stadium.... meaning, as late of a dinner as possible, saving me from buying a $90 pizza and a $10 beer from Jerry Jones.:eek:

jc

One in a million, obviously. :D

Remember Coleen's uniquely good assessment that the P's in question is near the Cowboy Stadium.... meaning, as late of a dinner as possible, saving me from buying a $90 pizza and a $10 beer from Jerry Jones.:eek:

jc

You say that like I read all the posts......:o

I vote for P's over $90 pizza from anyone. :D Have fun.

And speaking of fun, it is time for me to start my weekend. Afore mentioned "one in a million" is heading home from work and then we are off for the lake. Dinner will be grilled tuna steaks on our screened porch - with the only extra noise being compliments of the crickets. :)

Archived