Learn to pack

debmkay

going on our 1st 14 day cruise in oct, in my head i have everything in order, organized, what we need, etc. When it comes to actually packing I am not so sure. I know my hubby will put in his 2 cents and I will kill him or knock him out of the organization.

I have been on 2 12 Day cruises and 1 other 14 day cruise and have another 14 day one soon. I have found it best to have enough clothing to get past the cruise without having to do laundry so that may mean wearing clothing more than once. The problem comes when you naturally buy things while on the cruise, so you suddenly need a way to take them home. You either need to pack extra bags and be willing to pay for them on your own. I have used FedEx Kinkos or some other delivery service such as UPS in Florida to be able to ship things home without having to take thing on the return flight.

I see from your signature you'll be on Maasdam October 23. What a gorgeous itinerary! I'm jealous.

Since the ship has a self serve laundry, you *can* wash clothes if you need to.

I'm assuming you'll drive to the port or take a HAL bus, since you live on the Florida Space Coast. At least you're not limited by airline baggage rules.

I'm another woman who is unwillingly in charge of packing, yet my male (Dad) still considers himself project overseer. I generally pack when he's not around. When he cross examines me, I tell him, "It's in there." And, every now and then, he mentions something I forgot. :p

Well luckily we can drive to the port so we don't have the airline problems. We usually end up bring way too many things so this time I am trying to think it through before I start throwing things in. DH on the other hand is a very good packer so let the fun begin! Not long now!

Debmkay -- we're on the same cruise with you and I'm facing the same problem except that we are flying so I've also got airline restrictions to worry about.

DH is perfectly willing to let me do the packing -- I just tell him to put out things that he absolutely wants to have with him; otherwise I do the picking. He used to travel for business all the time so he's perfectly willing to let me do it now.

For those of you who have taken longer cruises (greater than 7 days) is there anything that you see as an absolute necessity that I might not think of. I'm also looking for some good packing list suggestions.

Thanks for starting this thread -- I think it will really help.

One tip I read on these boards that makes A LOT of sense is to split stuff between suitcases. Usually when we travel, I have my stuff in one suitcase and hubby has another and we have a third for our son's stuff (or we put it in one of ours where there's room).

The problem with packing that way is that, if one suitcase gets lost enroute, then one person is stuck with pretty much nothing for most, if not all, of the trip.

So this time, we're going to put everything we're taking on our bed, and then we'll split it all between the suitcases, so every suitcase has some casual, comfy and dressy clothes for all three of us. Losing a suitcase would still be a total pain, but at least we'd have some basic stuff if that does happen.

I also read that you should put your name and cabin number somewhere visible INSIDE your suitcase in case your luggage tags get ripped off by accident.

If you're flying, cross-pack your things...some of your stuff in his suitcase, some of his in yours....just in case one of your bags decides to go somewhere without you! Make sure you have everything for each outfit packed together....

Should something go astray, at least you'll both have something!!!!!

We not only cross pack (even though we do carry-on only) we bring some clothes that we won't bring home. On our 2 week Med cruise I brought 2 dresses that I didn't want to wear again and DH brought one of his older suits. We left them there and made a lot of room for the souvenirs.

I am getting ready for my longest cruise yet: 18 days. Up to this point, longest has been 15 days. Although I have always considered myself a pretty good packer, my one challenge has always been shoes!

How do you other ladies minimize the amount of shoes needed for packing?

I am getting ready for my longest cruise yet: 18 days. Up to this point, longest has been 15 days. Although I have always considered myself a pretty good packer, my one challenge has always been shoes!

How do you other ladies minimize the amount of shoes needed for packing?

Since anything goes with black, I only take a pair of black dress shoes and I wear black leather walking shoes. So the only other shoes I pack is a pair of sandals. Hubby wears black dress shoes and I pack a pair of his tennis shoes for wearing on the trip.

[Hubby does NOTHING for packing. He doesn't even tell me what he wants to wear on the cruise. I'm not sure if that makes it easier or harder.

I've threatened to pack nothing but underwear for him. :eek:]

Our longest cruise was 18 day Panama Canal transit, we've done 15 day Hawaii, and some 14 day transatlantic. I agree with those who say to cross-pack. Also, carry a change of clothes in your carry-ons in case of worst-case scenario of checked luggage not making it to the ship.

Hubby must wear compresson socks and I've bought enough pairs to last an entire cruise without having to handwash any. I pack 4 pair in his carryon and divide the others between each of our suitcases.

From eBags.com I bought packing cubes and I use those for underwear.

Makes it easy to just take out the cube and place it in the drawer rather than having to take out individual items.

We also take a pillow case to be used as a laundry bag for our dirty clothes. I have mesh bags I put hubby's dirty compression socks in so at home I can just toss them in the washer (5 pair to a bag).

On ships with no self-laundry I send his cotton undershirts (tees) and cotton briefs to the ship's laundry half-way through the cruise. There's often a $20 'all you can stuff in the bag' laundry special around then. But if not, it's worth the cost to save that much room in not packing 7 more sets. I also send any socks I've worn so I have them later again.

I usually bring enough undies for me for the duration, but if not, I handwash them in the sink (with shampoo if I didn't bring a small bottle of Woolite) and hang them on the shower clothesline with clothespins that are always in our travel bag.

(I leave a cosmetic bag and a travel bag in the suitcase. The travel bag has items like clothespins, small sewing kit, bandaids/gauze pads, Neosporin, cold pills, aspirin, Imodium, Bonine, Dramamine, Airborne, scotch tape, and things like that. I don't have to pack those each time for cruises or for other trips. They're already in the suitcase.)

Even with assigned dining so sitting with same people nightly I still wore the same dinner clothes 2 or 3 times, using mix 'n match so the complete outfit wasn't the same each wearing. Some days I wore the same clothes during the day. Other days I wore walking shorts. So, 3 pairs slacks, 1 skirt, 3 blouses (in addition to what I wore for travel), 2 pairs shorts, a couple Tshirts, was plenty. For formal evenings I have 2 glitzy tops but wear them with the same black satiny palazzo pants.

Mix 'n match blouse/skirt/slacks provides several different outfits so that fewer clothes must be packed.

I do the same for hubby's clothes. He doesn't wear Tshirts ever, nor polo shirts, only shirts with two chest pockets that have flapover button pockets for all his 'stuff' (wallet, small notebook, business cards, phone).

His travel shirts are either solid color blue or tan or are striped or checked with those colors predominant. Paired with brown, or khaki, or navy slacks or walking shorts that means that in addition to what he's wearing, just 2 pairs slacks, 2 pairs walking shorts, plus his tux, and sport jacket with a dress shirt, dress slacks are plenty for a two week cruise.

I always pack a swimsuit for each of us but we've never used it since with our chunky bodies we don't sunbathe or swim in the pool.

I also always pack a few wire hangers. Besides the fact that many times there aren't enough hangers in the closet, these are handy if I must handwash a shirt or blouse that gets a spill on it. After washing I can put it on a wire hanger to hang from the shower clothesline or doorknob.

The cosmetic bag that I leave packed in the suitcase is one that hangs, so is easy to find things in it and doesn't require shelf/drawer room. Some people use shoe organizers to put all those odds and ends of bottles in.

Like so many others, I have lists already made, kept on the computer, that I keep, changing based on the type of weather we'll experience.

Often I simply add a couple Turtlenecks for me to wear under a blouse or by itself. And I pack long-sleeved shirts for hubby for cooler weather. Other than that, the lists stay pretty much the same.

28 days at sea and an additional week on land with one 23 inch suitcase each and a small carry-on- secrets below!

1. Laundry- you would be amazed what fits into one of those little bags!

2. neutral dress shoe, walking shoe, sandles ( warm areas only) which can double as beach shoes

3. 2 neutral dress pant with 4 interchangeable tops for dinner

4. 2 bathing suits - one coverup caftan which doubles as coverup in room

5. 1 pair jeans or 2 capris for touring 2 shorts if it is hot

6. 2 tee shirts - bought 4 more on ship

7. black dress long skirt with two different tops for dressy - husband dark suit and tux shirt combo - I actually took 2 more dresses because of all the dress nights we had - used the bottoms to rotate with the dress pants for other dinners

8. 5 days of underwear - less socks if you won't wear them

9. a jacket / sweater for cooler evenings

10. nightwear - two

11. makeup, personal items in smaller bottles and containers- I took shampoo, body wash cologne and creams for 28 days and

12. emergency meds - we avoid sickbay - don't want to be quarantined

13. carry on is techie gear - cameras batteries memory laptop phones and prescriptions

14. extra space - books that do not come home- donate to library

15. Color coordinate clothing -if it can be worn in only one combination - leave it home

Packing

This is a very cool process and it works - learned it on the ship last time - did not believe it but it took even less space and I thought I had done well

In the bottom of your case lay a pair of pants longways with the waist sticking out one end and the legs out the other, next to ( overlap is fine) it lay another pair of pants - same way...then take a blouse or shirt and lay ways in the suitcase with the end sticking out on the top and bottom - and another item beside it the same way. Continue alternating and put in all clothes the same way. In your shoes stuff underwear and other smaller items and put the shoes now in the center of the suitcase. The last step is to alternately start folding the "stick outs" into the center all of those parts that are hanging out of the suitcase. When you get on the ship - unfold and there is less wrinkling.

I overheard a woman describe this one day at the pool and was sure that she had to be wrong- packed that way to come home and all of those extra things I did not intend to buy fit in the original suitcase and I did not have to buy another suitcase - very impressed! Hope this helps!!

Debmkay -- we're on the same cruise with you and I'm facing the same problem except that we are flying so I've also got airline restrictions to worry about.

DH is perfectly willing to let me do the packing -- I just tell him to put out things that he absolutely wants to have with him; otherwise I do the picking. He used to travel for business all the time so he's perfectly willing to let me do it now.

For those of you who have taken longer cruises (greater than 7 days) is there anything that you see as an absolute necessity that I might not think of. I'm also looking for some good packing list suggestions.

Thanks for starting this thread -- I think it will really help.

You'll need a generous sized wrap, pashmina or even a nice lightweight cashmere sweater. Good for the plane if you're flying as well as the dining room and theater. It can be cool in those areas.

I have packing lists of exactly what clothes go into the 4 suitcases for 14 day, 20 day, 21 and 23 day cruises.

About 3 days before we leave -- I just run off the lists and pack.

4 SUITCASES/ for only 14 days?:confused:

Have only been on HAL 1 TIME, BUT FOUND THE "BAG" to be so inexpensive, we disembarked with almost NO laundry to do ay home.:) Cheaper than home!:D

wow! some of you have this down to a science! I guess the more you cruise the more experience you get. Well I will get it figured out and hopefully take less than usual, the shoes are a mystery though, I end up with too many.

I also read that you should put your name and cabin number somewhere visible INSIDE your suitcase in case your luggage tags get ripped off by accident.

If you are flying, not only should you put your name but your itinerary inside the luggage. We list the days, which ports and the ship we are going to be on.

For a warm weather cruise regardless of the length we each take a 21" carry-on roll-aboard size bag. We split the clothes 1/2 and 1/2. Inside we always pack enough for 7 days. My DH always rents a tux and shoes. I have one black dress and 2 tops that I interchange. For shoes my husband takes top siders and I take one pair of dress sandles, a pair of flip flops and wear a pair of comfortable shoes that can also be worn in the gym such as Skeechers. We take clothes that can be mix and matched.

My husband carries a camera bag with all his toys and camera equipment and I carry a daypack that can be used in port. I have a small purse that fits into my daypack that keeps all our documents. Nothing else is in the daypack and this is used in case we buy anything along the way.

If we are on a cruise longer than 7 days we use the ships fill up the laundry bag service.

The only difference for us in a cool or mixed weather cruise is that my husband takes an extra pair of boots (I might too) and all our cold weather gear is packed in a third 21" carry-on that fits on top of one of our roll aboard bags. We always have plenty of room and never are missing a thing. We have used this same technique for travel up to 25 days for years with no problem.

Hello mash1,

You ask << I have no problem with packing for 14, 21, 28, or 40 days with temperatures ranging from 40 degrees to 90 degrees. Now we have booked a world cruise and I would appreciate tips on packing for 110 days. >>

The answer is really simple. Except for additional meds, there is no significant difference between packing for 40 days and 110 days.

We will also be on the world cruise.

Take care, Scott

A trick I learned before our 18 day Panama Canal cruise was to use space bags. Many of my outfits are from Chicos, which are great to wash out and dry quickly and really travel better when rolled up. I took all of the outfits that coordinated and rolled them up together in separate bags. These bags were also good for undies - always protected in case luggage was opened and who knows what was in those drawers before I got there... It also helped when we had pre cruise stay - only had to take out the space designated for the hotel. I used the bags again for the way home to separate the clean from the dirty. You would be surprised how much more will fit into the luggage when it is rolled and decompressed!

Of course, another way to avoid overpacking is to leave hubby's clothes home...

Kathie

Archived