Converters & Adapters (for Italy)

Cy'all@C

I need a converter for my camera's AAA battery recharger but other than that, I'm good with just an adapter for all my haircare appliances. I've seen converter/adapter sets at Target/Kohl's/Brookstone for around $30-40. What should I be looking for in these "sets"? The one I bought (Travel Smart from Kohl's) had a note stating some European outlets are recessed and that particular adapter is not included in the set.

Can anyone recommend a good converter/adapter set that they KNOW will work in Florence/Rome, Italy?

And any feedback on the all in one adapter plug they sell at Wal-Mart for $10.00? Thanks.

Trudy

Check the voltage requirements on your "battery recharger." If the back says 110v-240v then all you need is a "plug adapter" and that Wal-Mart $10 deal would work. But if it is only 110v, then you will need a converter and you'll probably not find one at $10 - usually converters cost more... so look carefully at your item and the packaging of the "item" you're buying. We have multiple US 110v-240v items plugged in here at our aaprtment in Rome and only use plug adapters. I also have a US battery charger plugged in that is 110v-240v and again, use only a plug adapter. For more help, read this, Power in Italy.

I would second roninrome's suggestions above.

Another would be to purchase some regular, non-rechargeable, AA batteries for this trip. Unless you plan to travel abroad frequently and/or not replace that camera within the next few years, bringing batteries with you may be the most economical option.

Lew

Target/Kohl's/Brookstone for around $30-40. What should I be looking for in these "sets"?

The Walmart sets are fine. Most of Europe uses the same outlets (UK is very different). ( o o ) <----configuration

As for the charger, for $30-40 you should be able to buy a new 110-240 "AA" charger that would negate your need for a converter (still need adapters). It shouldn't be hard to find at WallyWorld (camera dept) or Target.

We had the opposite problem a few years ago...our charger went bad while we were in Europe so we bought a new one in Germany. Not paying attention, later we found out it was 220v only. :( It's around here somewhere as a paper weight!

I need a converter for my camera's AAA battery recharger but other than that' date=' I'm good with just an adapter for all my haircare appliances. I've seen converter/adapter sets at Target/Kohl's/Brookstone for around $30-40. What should I be looking for in these "sets"? The one I bought (Travel Smart from Kohl's) had a note stating some European outlets are recessed and that particular adapter is not included in the set.

Can anyone recommend a good converter/adapter set that they KNOW will work in Florence/Rome, Italy?

And any feedback on the all in one adapter plug they sell at Wal-Mart for $10.00? Thanks.

[i']Trudy [/i]

I think you have it backwards.

A converter converts 240 volts (EU) to 120 volts (US). It is normally required for a motor or heating element, e.g. curling iron. You would normally plug your converter into an adapter. Converters are rated in watts.

An adapter converts the type of plug but the voltage does not change (240V in = 240V out). You need one of these to adapt the EU plug to the US plug. Adapters are different depending on which country you are in.

Normally US battery chargers are dual voltage, 120/240 volts, and require an adapter but not a converter.

I recently bought a complete set of adapters and a 1600 watt converter on E-Bay for about $20-25. It is a PowerLine Global Power Converter, but I don't have a model number. As you have probably read, make sure you have your appliance at as low of a heat setting as possible.

Hope this didn't make it more confusing

Dan

If you decide to go the converter (240v to 110v) route be sure to read the description of the converter on the packaging. All converters are not created equally and most are designed for a specific type of electronic. One designed for a hair dryer will fry your battery charger and one designed for a battery charger will fry your hair dryer.

We now avoid converters and just have plug adaptors for our electronics that are compatible with both 110v and 240v. If it isn't 240V compatible then we either don't use it in Europe or buy a replacement for travel.

Check the voltage requirements on your "battery recharger." For more help, read this, Power in Italy.

I saw you posted the "Power In Italy" link in a previous thread which got me thinking about my electronics. I would have gone to Europe totally unprepared... so thanks! All my appliances are 120/240 except the charger. Can you tell me if the outlets are recessed in Italy, specifically Florence and Rome? I'm beside myself that someone in Rome posted a response to my question. Isn't CC wonderful?! :)

Another would be to purchase some regular, non-rechargeable, AA batteries for this trip.

Lew

This idea may work for me since we only plan to spend 4 days precruise in Florence/Rome and I have 2 sets of rechargeables that will be fully charged. Once onboard I'll be fine with my 120V's! :p

( o o ) <----configuration

As for the charger, for $30-40 you should be able to buy a new 110-240 "AA" charger that would negate your need for a converter

We had the opposite problem a few years ago...our charger went bad while we were in Europe so we bought a new one in Germany. Not paying attention, later we found out it was 220v only. It's around here somewhere as a paper weight!

Love the diagram!!! ;) I will check out dual voltage chargers...that may be best since I plan to visit Europe again and again and again! BTW...that's some expensive paperweight you have! :p

I think you have it backwards.

A converter converts 240 volts (EU) to 120 volts (US).

Dan

YIKES...now I'm definately not buying a converter! I'm totally confused cause I thought they went up or down. I'd rater be safe than sorry and get a dual voltage charger like my hairdryer, curling iron, hair straightener, and steam rollers! :D

All converters are not created equally and most are designed for a specific type of electronic. One designed for a hair dryer will fry your battery charger and one designed for a battery charger will fry your hair dryer... If it isn't 240V compatible then we either don't use it in Europe or buy a replacement for travel.

Thanks for your response. I know NOW to only buy electronics that are dual voltage!

This very handy wizard will let you figure out if you need a converter, what type of converter you need, and what adaptors you will need.

http://www.magellans.com/store/util/ElecWiz?Args=

Great site! Thanks for posting.

Thanks to all for your suggetions. I really appreciate it.

Trudy

Another benefit of having dual voltage (120/220) electronics is that on the ship you can use the 220v European style outlet as an extra outlet on the vanity as long as you have one of the inexpensive plug adaptors. These run $5 to $10. The Vanities on the ship have 2 110V North American style outlets and 2 220V European style outlets.

Another benefit of having dual voltage (120/220) electronics is that on the ship you can use the 220v European style outlet as an extra outlet on the vanity as long as you have one of the inexpensive plug adaptors. These run $5 to $10. The Vanities on the ship have 2 110V North American style outlets and 2 220V European style outlets.

Definately a benefit! Now I can leave our power strip home! :p

Here's the $10 all in one adapter from Wal-Mart. Anyone have comments on how well it works?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10983769

Trudy

:)

Here's the $10 all in one adapter from Wal-Mart. Anyone have comments on how well it works?

I am sure that it will work as advertised, but if you have an outlet that is in a cramped position, like just above a countertop, or behind a piece of furniture, you will likely think in some not-so-civilized terms that the designer should have stayed home that day. IOW, the unit is rather bulky and clumsy for using in a tight space. (voice of experience here :o )

Someone....Walmart or Radio Shack...sells a little kit that has individual adapters for a comparable price that we have found to work very well. :)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036266

Trudy

Looks interesting. We don't travel that many places and just bought a couple basic adapters from Magellan - their site has them for under $3. Of course if you're not buying anything else you have to pay for shipping. Lots of web sites, including Amazon, have them at similar prices.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Adaptor_Plugs___Converters___Plug_AdaptorsEA351D?Args=

The basic ones are very simple and compact.

Thanks thinfool and Lsimon for attaching photos of your recommended adapters. I understand a lot more what suits my needs. Since I plan to travel the world ;), I'm going to get the adapter set from Radio Shack and a dual voltage battery charger.

Thanks again for all the responses. :)

Trudy

I bought this set of adapters from Radio Shack today (thinfool recommended in an earlier post). http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036266

The man selling them told me I needed to have a converter to use them. I told him all my appliances are dual voltage so I don't need a converter. Now I'm more closely reading the description of the item it says "must be used with a converter".

Are these adapters going to work with my dual voltage appliances WITHOUT a converter?

Thanks for tolerating a probably very stupid question. :confused:

Trudy

I bought this set of adapters from Radio Shack today (thinfool recommended in an earlier post). http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036266

The man selling them told me I needed to have a converter to use them. I told him all my appliances are dual voltage so I don't need a converter. Now I'm more closely reading the description of the item it says "must be used with a converter".

Are these adapters going to work with my dual voltage appliances WITHOUT a converter?

Thanks for tolerating a probably very stupid question. :confused:

Trudy

I really can not tell from the picture. One of the reviews seemed to indicate these are designed to accept a converter plug - which is not the same size as a regular plug (according to the review). Other reviews seem to indicate they are just fine. I guess if your electronic item will plug into it and is compatible with the proper current (110V to 240V) then you should be fine.

Myself - I'd just order the proper plug from Amazon or Magellan's for $2 to $10 knowing it is designed and labeled for what I intend to use it for. Do keep in mind that if you're going to plug in a three prong grounded plug then you need an adaptor designed for that.

As long as the electron you are plugging in is compatible with the current you want to plug it into then you should be fine. I can't see why it would say "must be used with a converter" unless they are just worried about people plugging a 110V appliance into a 220V outlet without a converter - and covering themselves.

I haven't seen the plugs, but I'm guessing it's stated for the reason listed above -- a lot of people don't understand the difference between an adaptor and a converter, and many appliances get fried due to inappropriate use.

I really can not tell from the picture. One of the reviews seemed to indicate these are designed to accept a converter plug - which is not the same size as a regular plug (according to the review). Other reviews seem to indicate they are just fine. I guess if your electronic item will plug into it and is compatible with the proper current (110V to 240V) then you should be fine.

Myself - I'd just order the proper plug from Amazon or Magellan's for $2 to $10 knowing it is designed and labeled for what I intend to use it for. Do keep in mind that if you're going to plug in a three prong grounded plug then you need an adaptor designed for that.

Thanks Lsimon...at this point I'm preparing myself to have bad hair days and lots of AA batteries on hand. I've never ordered online before and we leave in 9 days for our trip so I was hoping to find something locally. I think I read Home Depot/Lowes sells the 3 prong adapters for a couple of bucks...maybe they have the kind you got from Magellan's too. I'll stop in there tomorrow.

Another question...If I just get a 3 prong adapter to plug in a power strip then can I use my hair appliances/battery charger in the power strip?

I haven't seen the plugs, but I'm guessing it's stated for the reason listed above -- a lot of people don't understand the difference between an adaptor and a converter, and many appliances get fried due to inappropriate use.

My initial thought too was they were covering their butts in case someone didn't have a dual voltage appliance. The reviews among users were even conflicting about whether to use them with or without a converter! :confused:

Trudy

... I think I read Home Depot/Lowes sells the 3 prong adapters for a couple of bucks...maybe they have the kind you got from Magellan's too. I'll stop in there tomorrow.

Another question...If I just get a 3 prong adapter to plug in a power strip then can I use my hair appliances/battery charger in the power strip? ...

Proper grounded 3 prong adapters are so inexpensive that it doesn't make sense to get the kind that adapts the 3 prong to two prong, but doesn't really connect the grounded plug.

Look at this one for instance: http://www.amazon.com/SIMRAN-PLUG-ADAPTER-CONVERTS-PLUG-GERMAN/dp/B000WFYUGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1255608249&sr=1-1

It is only $3.99 adapts a grounded plug to a European style outlet including the proper grounding.

If everything is properly grounded and all are compatible with the local current then I don't see anything wrong with using an outlet strip. Personally I don't carry them anymore. They take up too much room and we've made a big effort to cut back on all non-essentials to reduce luggage weight.

• 6 months later...

I was good to go with all the chargers we were taking and we only needed the adapter plugs. BUT recently, my niece decided she may want to take her small netbook and seems to me I read that computers are more sensitive. She's away at college and doesn't have her netbook with her for me to ask BUT if the small netbook also has the 110v-240v coverage on the chargers/plugs, should I still be okay and not need a converter?

ETA: I think I answered my own question going to Magellan - appears that today many computers already cover the wide voltage range and should only need the plugs but have others used more sensitive electronics like a computers that have the wide voltage acceptance and been okay?

Okay, I had this all down and was all ready with my adapter plugs because our camera charger, cell charger, etc. all cover the 110-240volts so we were good to go.

BUT recently, my niece decided she may want to take her small netbook and seems to me I read that computers are more sensitive. She's away at college and doesn't have her netbook with her for me to ask BUT if the small netbook also has the 110v-240v coverage on the chargers/plugs, should I still be okay and not need a converter?

Yes, you should be fine.

Archived