Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

My first ship I was a little girl we sailed New YouK to Ireland in 7 days I think I Know it begins with a M but forget how to spell it

Old Veedam

others I have to look up

really miss World Explorer to Alaska. My sister in law worked on ship as part of entertaiment for 5 weeks

I am so glad to see some others out there who sailed on the Britanis! My parents had taken 2 cruises on her before children then took us on her in the early 90s, my second cruise. Even though I was only about 8, I loved that ship! My parents loved her as well. Any of you that sailed her remember the "Quiet Deck" at the back of the ship? We saw her laid up in Tampa some years later while on another cruise but I can't remember the year. Was very sad to hear that she sunk, but at least she wasn't dismantled!

Anyway, the other ships -

SS Norway (x2)

Mardi Gras

Tropicale (x2)

Celebration

Crown Dynasty - became Norwegian Dynasty for a bit, now Braemar. This ship holds a very special meaning for me because I met my husband on this cruise!

Great thread, btw. I love learning about ship's histories.

If you are interested in "where are they now" about ships and prior cruises, you may just LOVE:

"Devils on the Deep Blue Sea" by Kristoffer A. Garin ISBN: 0-670-023418-5 (available new for $6.30 on Amazon).

The book tells the remarkable postwar history of the North American cruise industry. It begins with the history of shipping lines (and their owners), how "passenger ships" were created from cargo ships for emmigration to the beginning of the cruise industry by the owners of the shipping lines - NCL and RCCI, etc., the beginning of Carnival (Dodge Island in Miami, the Marti Gras maiden voyage) and the growth of Carnival Cruise Lines up to the purchase of Princess.

You will notice many of the ships you sailed on mentioned in the book. If you are cruising fanatic (like I am), you will love this book

• 2 weeks later...
This was the first cruise ship my wife and I sailed on. I have no Idea what happened to the ship

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=DanHarris&date=8-1-2010&text=Alaska III,  Hope its the best trip&ship=Oosterdam

The Ocean Dream (formerly Tropicale / Costa Tropicale / Pacific Star) is a cruise ship, built in 1981. The ship began sailing for Carnival Cruise Lines as the Tropicale in 1982. The Tropicale was Carnival's first newly built ship. Operating mainly in the Caribbean. She was transferred to the Costa fleet in July 2001 and renamed the Costa Tropicale. The Costa Tropicale was retired in 2005 and entered service for P&O Cruises Australia as the Pacific Star in December of that year . She was formerly Queensland’s latest cruise liner, she was based in Brisbane, performing cruises along the Tropical Queensland coast, to various islands in the South Pacific, New Caledonia, and to New Zealand. In March 2008, P&O Cruises Australia sold the Pacific Star to Pullmantur Cruises. She has been refurbished and is currently sailing as the Ocean Dream.

• 3 weeks later...

TSS Atlas (Epirotiki)

Dolphin IV, Seabreeze, Ocean Breeze (Dolphin)

Tropicale, Jubilee (Carnival)

Regent Star (Regent)

All these ships we have sailed on are either sunken, scrapped, or changed names.

They were all very old and expensive to run.

The Enchanted Isle, Commodore Cruise Line, was the first cruise taken by DH and me in May 1991. We could see older names here and there on the ship.

Some of our early favorites were on the Crown Cruise Line:

The Crown Jewel in '92 out of West Palm Beach; the Crown Dynasty in '97 westward through the Panama Canal was changed to the Cunard Crown Dynasty as we sailed.

The Star Princess in '95, the Regal Princess in '96, and the Norwegian Crown in '96 - are any of those still sailing?

My wife and I also sailed on Commodore Cruise Line's Enchanted Isle on its last voyage, docking, as it always did, in New Orleans on December 23, 2000. This ship had been built in the United States in 1965, I believe, and was then, along with Independence and Constitution, one of the few American built passenger ships still sailing.

With 450 passengers, it was a fun little ship; and I will never forget the Caribbean steel drum band playing Christamas carols on the open rear deck in the evening.

I know the company filed bankruptcy the day after our return, and I have no idea about what happened to the ship.

The Star Princess in '95, the Regal Princess in '96, and the Norwegian Crown in '96 - are any of those still sailing?

From http://www.wikipedia.com

The "old" Star Princess is now the Ocean Village.

The Regal Princess is still sailing for Princess Cruise Lines.

The Norwegian Crown has an interesting history.

The vessel was built by Meyer Werft of Papenburg, Germany in 1988, for service with Royal Cruise Line as the Crown Odyssey. In 1989, Royal Cruise Line was sold to Norwegian Cruise Line, which continued operation of the company, along with the Crown Odyssey until 1996. A reorganization of all of the fleets owned by Norwegian Cruise Line saw Crown Odyssey enter service with NCL's main fleet, and it was renamed Norwegian Crown

Following the purchase of Orient Lines by NCL in April, 2000, Norwegian Crown was transferred, regaining her original name, Crown Odyssey, in the process.

In September, 2003, Crown Odyssey was refurbished and returned to the NCL fleet, again with the name Norwegian Crown.

Norwegian Crown at Hamilton, Bermuda On May 25, 2006 – NCL Corporation announced that its parent company, Star Cruises, had agreed to sell Norwegian Crown to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines effective August 2006. Star Cruises concurrently chartered the vessel back from Fred. Olsen and NCL continued her deployment through to November 2007. “Although a beautiful and well-maintained vessel, Norwegian Crown’s smaller size is less suitable for Star Cruises’ ambitions in Asia,” said Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL Corporation. “Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines specializes in operating smaller and mid-sized upscale vessels and this ship should fit perfectly in their fleet.” Her last NCL cruise was on October 28, 2007.

My DH and I were fortunate to have sailed about 10 times with the defunct Royal Cruise Line and our favorite ship was the Crown Odyssey. We used to dance up at the top of the Crown and just loved the Greek crew. I cried when NCL bought the ship and made such awful changes to this once beautiful ship. For those interested, it is now sailing as Fred Olson's largest ship the Balmoral. A whole new generation of cruisers are loving her!

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...
What about Majesty Cruise Line's M.V. Majesty?

I know at one time they were affiliated somehow with Dolphin but now they're both gone.

Wikipedia identifies the ship as the M.S. not M.V. Majesty. It also states that Majesty Cruise lines was sold to NCL and not Dolphin.

Here is the link (I hope this is the ship you are talking about)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Majesty

Wikipedia identifies the ship as the M.S. not M.V. Majesty. It also states that Majesty Cruise lines was sold to NCL and not Dolphin.

Here is the link (I hope this is the ship you are talking about)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Majesty

Thanks for that link, that's interesting, because it sounds like they're talking about the same ship, but the only time I'm known as a pack rat is in my scrapbooking and I just dug out my book that still has the boarding passes, key cards, and believe it or not, two of their old brochures. They all say M.V. Royal Majesty ~ Majesty Cruise Lines. I was a travel agent back then and I'm thinking maybe our sales rep worked for them and then went to work for Dolphin - my brain is really foggy from those days. Maybe they weren't related at all, but it was fun to look at those pictures again and remember how much fun we had on that ship. :)

From www.wikipedia.com

The "old" Star Princess is now the Ocean Village.

The Regal Princess is still sailing for Princess Cruise Lines.

Hi, I've got a couple of updates on these ships if anyone is interested.:)

The old 'Star Princess' (ex Sitmar Fair Majesty, Star Princess, Ocean Village (1)) will be sailing for P & O from New Zealand & Australia from December 2010. She is to be called 'Pacific Pearl'.

The old 'Regal Princess' is also sailing for P & O Australia as 'Pacific Dawn' (since 2007). Her sister ship 'Pacific Jewel' (ex Crown Princess, A'Rosa Blu, AIDAblu, Ocean Village 2) joined her in Australia in December 2009.

Jenny

What about the Achille Lauro - a fun fun ship with a tragic ending. Also sailed on the Norway and an interesting little ship called The Betsy Ross. She was under charter to a South African tour company and the ship apparently was in litigation at the time she was supposed to sail for the Indian Ocean Islands.. Lots of "mysterious" damage was done to her causing her to be a day late picking up passengers in the Comoros. The ship had no a/c for days, toilets didn't flush for about 5 days. It was a total disaster. One of my most memorable cruises.

My favorite has to be this ship in 1956 NYC to Naples. I was young (23) , single, and on my first State Dept. assignment to Istanbul. I was in Cabin Class due to the travel rules then. Upgraded to 1st class few years later.

All the younger people seemed to be in Cabin Class and we all had a great time every day. At the Azores it was good weather rest of the way and the pool bar rear doors were opened all the way across and we had buffet lunches inside or out. Lots of shipboard romances started in that bar. Every one dressed up, especially at dinner. Passengers were a different crowd then cruisers. Lucky to have had 4 voyages on the Independence or Constitution 1956-63 between the Med. and NYC. Whole ship probably did not have more then 800 passengers in the three classes. Compared to the mega cruise ships now in service, a different experience in all respects.

• 2 weeks later...