Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

Has anyone mentioned the Orient Marco Polo. We cruised on her in 2006 and 2007. We were on the lowest deck and we had to step over the bulkhead every few feet to get to our cabin.

Also cruised on the Epirotiki World Renaissance to Ensenada from port of Los Angeles.

I in fact sailed on the Marco Polo just a few months ago (November2012) under the cruise company name of "Cruise and Maritime".

Also I sailed on her when she was under the Soviets. Back then 1988, she was called the Alexander Pushkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to check my list of prior cruises and found the following ships no longer around:

Regent Sea 1993

Emerald Sea 1986

Sun Viking 1981

Jason 1971

Carla C 1969

The ships we sail in today are much better, have more activities and amenities, but the old ships were fun (and the drinks were much cheaper).

Edited by dabear

Evangeline (became the Yarmouth Castle) caught fire and sank

Johan von Oldenbarnevelt (became the Lakonia) caught fire and sank

Raffaello - hit by torpedo, rammed by another ship, sank

Olympic - (previously Empress of Britain, Queen Anna Maria,Carnivale, Fiesta Marina, later Topaz) retired and scrapped

Home Lines S/S Homeric (circa 50's-60's), Home Lines S/S Oceanic (circa 60's-70's), and several -X- ships which have been rebranded - Horizon, Mercury. Those Home Lines ships were something else altogether.

Edited by cal516

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival Mardis Gras 1992 - to Nassau

This was Carnival's first cruise ship, and was built by the company (Canadian Princess) that built the first Princess cruise ship (the "Love Boat"). We are mostly "destination" vacationers, but this year (2013) we're taking our second cruise... aboard the Crown Princess (direct descendent of the Pacific Princess "Love Boat"). I'm sure we'll be blown away by the luxury of today's modern cruisers, but -- at least for us -- the "good ol' days" will be defined by the wonderful experience we had so long ago aboard the Mardis Gras.

Carnival Mardis Gras 1992 - to Nassau

This was Carnival's first cruise ship, and was built by the company (Canadian Princess) that built the first Princess cruise ship (the "Love Boat"). We are mostly "destination" vacationers, but this year (2013) we're taking our second cruise... aboard the Crown Princess (direct descendent of the Pacific Princess "Love Boat"). I'm sure we'll be blown away by the luxury of today's modern cruisers, but -- at least for us -- the "good ol' days" will be defined by the wonderful experience we had so long ago aboard the Mardis Gras.

If you want to read about the birth of the cruise industry and the history of the Mardis Gras, how Carnival became the "fun ships" and up thru when Carnival purchased Princess, you MUST read: Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires by Kristoffer A. Garin

Edited by slotl

Thanks, Lois. That does look like an interesting book. A bit of an expose, it appears, and perhaps leaning somewhat more toward the "Big Bad Rich Corporate Wolves Who Only Want To Rip You Off" than I'd like to go. After all, we come to the show for the gliztz 'n glamour; not all that interested in what's going on backstage. According to a 2005 Business Week review of the book, Garin refers at one point to "...the early 1970s, when entrepreneurs such as Arison bought rustbucket vessels and began marketing short jaunts through the Caribbean". Well, by 1992 the old gal had certainly been around the block a few times, but she sure didn't look "rust bucket-y" to us. Then again, we were young and in love and had too many stars in our eyes to have really noticed. And here it is 21 years later, and we sure ain't so young anymore, but we're still in love and those stars haven't faded a bit. I'll bet the Crown will be every bit as impressive to us (maybe even more so).

But sometime after we return, I'll probably get hold of that book anyway.

After all, I like a good story about greed, intrigue, and big business entertainment, too ;)

We honeymooned on the 'Marco Polo' - Far East Dominion Line in 1972. We sailed from Sydney, Australia around the South Pacific Islands and back to Sydney.I believe it was previously called 'Princess Isabel' and afterwards 'Aquamarine' and then 'Odysseus'. I haven't researched its history totally.

It's a tad smaller than the Rhapsody of the Seas which we are about to cruise on :D

Aquamarine-02_900.jpg

Edited by SnoopyJS

• 1 month later...
Rotterdam: Yep, since the 60's and yes....NOTHING sailing now compares to the Home Lines. Even the "Crystal" experience is not what Home Lines ships were like. They really set the standard for cruising. And sailing out of NY was a real "event". The bon voyage parties, the streamers and confetti, the bands on deck, the tugs, the whistles and horns back and forth. And one more, the "Victoria" of Incres lines, that was pretty close to Home Lines although the ship was an older one.

I sailed on the MS Victoria four times. It was my first ship and I'll always have a place in my heart for her. I've saved some memorabilia - still have my MS Victoria scarf, bag and gold charm with "MS Victoria" engraved on it.

• 1 month later...
this is why i'm glad the Seabreeze sank . Somehow the shipbreakers are somehow murdering a ship in my eyes.

I feel the same way, I grew up o Veracruz,Bermuda Star and Canada Star. Veracruz caught fire and sank but the other two both went to alang. Pics are heartbreaking. Freeport is over there now and I spent a little time on her.

• 2 weeks later...

Just skimmed through the previous pages. But I didn't see our first cruise mentioned.

We sailed on the Celebrity (Chandris at the time) Meridian.

She was a beautiful, elegant ship. We were so sad when she was sold and even sadder to hear she had a fire at sea and sank.

Thought I'd posted on this thread years ago, but must have been another...

At any rate, here's my list:

France, 67 and 72

Cristoforo Columbo 72

Rafaello 73, 73

Michaelangelo 75

Leonardo DA Vinci 76

Caronia, year?

QE2 03, 05, 08

There was also a scary Greek cruise in a ship that wasn't fit to sail in 73, so I am SURE she's gone now.:eek:

Don't know what happened to the Crystal Harmony, but assume she's still sailing- sailed on her in 92 and 94.

And there was one cruise on the Golden Princess, not the current one but the one sailing in 93. Ratty ship then, and we lost all potable water 3 days out of LA.

All ships left behind great memories, from dining next to the Duchess of Windsor to meeting Carol O'Connor and his family, from beluga and champagne in Queen's Grill to hot tubs in my tuxedo.

Modern cruising is still fun, but sailing back then was really special.

Andrew

France, 67 and 72

Cristoforo Columbo 72

Rafaello 73, 73

Michaelangelo 75

Leonardo DA Vinci 76

Caronia, year?

QE2 03, 05, 08

There was also a scary Greek cruise in a ship that wasn't fit to sail in 73, so I am SURE she's gone now.:eek:

Don't know what happened to the Crystal Harmony, but assume she's still sailing- sailed on her in 92 and 94.

And there was one cruise on the Golden Princess, not the current one but the one sailing in 93. Ratty ship then, and we lost all potable water 3 days out of LA.

All ships left behind great memories, from dining next to the Duchess of Windsor to meeting Carol O'Connor and his family, from beluga and champagne in Queen's Grill to hot tubs in my tuxedo.

Andrew

I'm with you - I miss the old days. I posted in another thread about formal wear that I once went on a 14-day cruise with 13 formal gowns. Of course, the amount of luggage wasn't a problem then!

Carole

Edited by milligold

My parents and I immigrated to America from Scotland, in May of 1952 on the HMS Queen Mary. We sailed from South Hampton, stopped in at Le Havre, to bring on board, several beautiful French fashion models.I was seven, and loved all this.

The old Queen had no stabilizers in 1952, it was a very seasick experience for many of us. But before I, as a little girl, got too carried away with the glamour girls, my mother pointed out something to me....a day or so later they were hanging over the side, sick like the rest of us...fancy hair and all!:(

You know, we had no effective meds for seasickness then, so our steward brought us a beautiful basket of apples, can't imagine that helping, but that was the procedure. The old Queen has been a hotel in Long Beach for many

years, but while at sea you could see yourself in the deck varnish and the dining rooms were old world and so beautiful especially to a little kid like me!

Well folks, that's my trip down memory lane for today!:)

• Like 1

France, 67 and 72

Cristoforo Columbo 72

Rafaello 73, 73

Michaelangelo 75

Leonardo DA Vinci 76

Caronia, year?

QE2 03, 05, 08

Andrew

'

Ahhh memories....You've listed my favorite ships - Leonardo da Vinci, Raffaello and Michelangelo.

The scary, Greek ship was probably the Queen Anna Maria (Greek Line) - that was my first cruise - out of Baltimore to Nassau. It was a REALLY OLD ship when I sailed on it in 1972. But it got me hooked. The Greek Line also had another dilapadated ship - the Olympia I think.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My parents and I immigrated to America from Scotland, in May of 1952 on the HMS Queen Mary. We sailed from South Hampton, stopped in at Le Havre, to bring on board, several beautiful French fashion models.I was seven, and loved all this.

The old Queen had no stabilizers in 1952, it was a very seasick experience for many of us. But before I, as a little girl, got too carried away with the glamour girls, my mother pointed out something to me....a day or so later they were hanging over the side, sick like the rest of us...fancy hair and all!:(

You know, we had no effective meds for seasickness then, so our steward brought us a beautiful basket of apples, can't imagine that helping, but that was the procedure. The old Queen has been a hotel in Long Beach for many

years, but while at sea you could see yourself in the deck varnish and the dining rooms were old world and so beautiful especially to a little kid like me!

Well folks, that's my trip down memory lane for today!:)

Just a Quick Correction (but important to maritime folks). The Queen Mary, being a merchant ship correctly had the prefix RMS (Royal Mail Ship) because she was authorized to carry postal mail. HMS (His/Her Majesties' Ship) may only be applied to a ship of the Royal Navy.

I sailed on the FairSky when she was the Fair Princess.

Close, but no cigar-

Fairsky was strictly a Sitmar ship and never sailed under the Princess Flag.

The Fair Princess was built as the Carinthia for Cunard (1956-1968), she was later purchased by Sitmar and known first as the Fairland (1968-1971) and later as the FairSea (1971-1988). Princess ran her as the Fair Princess from 1988 through 1997 when she was assigned to P&0 Australia who ran her under the same name until 2001.