Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Happy hump day folks. How many do you have left? I went to a party at work today, and it was SO nice to leave afterward. It's crazy time at the first of the semester, so extra nice to come home and go eat lunch out. I still can't believe I don't have to go to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy hump day folks. How many do you have left? I went to a party at work today, and it was SO nice to leave afterward. It's crazy time at the first of the semester, so extra nice to come home and go eat lunch out. I still can't believe I don't have to go to work!

I can't wait until I am able to say your last sentence posted myself!!!! It's been an easy year so far. No stress which is great!

Deb

Fifteen more hump days left!! HAPPY HUMP DAY TO ALL a day early. Do I hear any Whoot Whoots??????

Deb

I share your celebrating Hump Day EVE!!!

5 more hump days after tomorrow for me.

My last day is October 14 (tuesday) so I guess fridays are actually my hump days, but I'll happily celebrate the "traditional" Hump Day.

It has been asked why one would sell their home and move. Well.... I have lived in my home for 34 years and worked at my current job the same 34 years. In spring I will sell, retire and move.

I live in Silicon Valley, an easy walk to Apple world headquarters. My house has appreciated wildly, which will give me a retirement that I never dreamed of but even more than that is the population change. Virtually everyone in my area is an engineer (husbands & wives both) and born & raised in other countries. They do not speak English at home. There is no sense of community at all.

I would like to find neighbors, community, book club and just plain people who speak my language and share my interests.

It has been asked why one would sell their home and move. Well.... I have lived in my home for 34 years and worked at my current job the same 34 years. In spring I will sell, retire and move.

I live in Silicon Valley, an easy walk to Apple world headquarters. My house has appreciated wildly, which will give me a retirement that I never dreamed of but even more than that is the population change. Virtually everyone in my area is an engineer (husbands & wives both) and born & raised in other countries. They do not speak English at home. There is no sense of community at all.

I would like to find neighbors, community, book club and just plain people who speak my language and share my interests.

I don't blame you for that. My brother bought a nice house in Anaheim a long time ago and plans to sell his house for a huge profit when he retires considering what he originally bought it for.

Deb

I have been reading this thread but never posted till now. Originally I was retiring next October but due to medical reasons I had to advance my retirement to October 1st 2014. Not really what I wanted to do, retire 1 year early but I am in a situation where it will be ok, not ideal, but ok. Just wanted to stop by & say hi to everyone here.

BTW, since I live in Florida, I will not be moving anywhere else. Nice to be near to the major cruise Ports :). Not downsizing since my house is on the small size anyway. Looking forward to my retirement even though I have a couple of challenges with my health that will end up ok.

Was anyone concerned with not working anymore since we have done that for our entire life ? Seems like a big step, guess I need to get used to the idea even though I earned retirement.

My best friend just moved from the DC suburbs to Delaware. After 28 years in The DC burbs she did not know her next door neighbors names. Within days of moving to Delaware she had 4 people stop by to welcome her to the neighborhood, a list of "if you need anything call me" names, email addresses and phone/text numbers. A neighbors son volunteered to mow her lawn after she told his mother she had just had a knee replacement; directions to the senior center and an indoor swim center with lap pool and arthritis therapy classes; and has joined a garden club.

Needless to say I'm jealous - so I'm building my retirement house 3 doors down and will move in January!

Good luck in finding the west coast equivalent of Millsboro, Delaware!

editted to add - she was born and raised in Chile, her parents from Germany - she is an educated and multi-lingual person. sometimes its the hustle and bustle of our lives that keeps us from making the connections, and its the nature of American small towns that brings out the heart in all of us.

Edited by herbanrenewal

Well, I live in a small town already, own my home, very little traffic problems, friends and family close by, and no snow to shovel so I do plan to stay where I am. I definitely understand everyone else's reason for moving. I would to if I had some of the issues that have been stated so far. I'm sure everyone is thankful they have the options to do what they need to do. (Forgot to add, 3 to 4 hours away to 3 different cruise terminals helps also...lol )

Deb

I have been reading this thread but never posted till now. Originally I was retiring next October but due to medical reasons I had to advance my retirement to October 1st 2014. Not really what I wanted to do, retire 1 year early but I am in a situation where it will be ok, not ideal, but ok. Just wanted to stop by & say hi to everyone here.

BTW, since I live in Florida, I will not be moving anywhere else. Nice to be near to the major cruise Ports :). Not downsizing since my house is on the small size anyway. Looking forward to my retirement even though I have a couple of challenges with my health that will end up ok.

Was anyone concerned with not working anymore since we have done that for our entire life ? Seems like a big step, guess I need to get used to the idea even though I earned retirement.

Welcome to the club. I am enjoying my time more than I imagined. I have adjusted rather quickly to not having a schedule to follow:)

Welcome to the club. I am enjoying my time more than I imagined. I have adjusted rather quickly to not having a schedule to follow:)

Thanks for the welcome. I think I will adjust very quickly too after I have the operation I need. Just have that on my mind now distracting from the entire picture of retirement finally arriving even though one year earlier than desired.

Tomorrow I pack and leave from Bermuda cruise friday morning!!:):):)

When I return I have three more weeks until I retire!!

Bon Voyage - enjoy the cruise. And try not to think about the short work time you have left until you retire:D

Haha. Y'all are getting closer. I'm glad for you. I got my first social security check today!

Yeah!!!! Good for you!!! I should be getting my first one in March. It is funny how they decide when to send you your check.....by your birthday so mine will be 3rd week of the month.

Deb