Whale Watching off Lahina in Early March

Cruzn ELM

I have been wanting to see the whales for years but have not previously been there at the right time of year. I understand that the Pacific Whale Foundation tour is the best but I wonder if, since we will be anchored out in the whales playground, the actual tour is still worthwhile.

Advice from anyone who has been there, done that, will be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

I did Captain Steve's excursions on my own in January, 2006. The only thing is that they were at an unmarked pier which you would never find on your own. I took a cab there and was able to walk back to town by myself in about 20 minutes once I knew where it was. It actually is very close but I was by myself and was a little apprehensive wandering around trying to find it since it was unmarked.

The whales should still be there in March. I don't think they start back until the end of April, beginning of May. I had heard about Captain Steve on these boards and found him online. I thought this tour was much better than the one offered by the Pacific Whale Foundation. The zodiac was smaller w/fewer people and lots of opportunity for close whale watching.

Here is the link: http://www.captainsteves.com

We were in Lahaina this past beginning of March and there were whales everywhere. We avoided Pacific Whale Foundation because we thought they carried too many people and understand they do not do research anymore, but still portray themselves as researchers.

We went with Ultimate Whale Watch on a zodiac boat and had a fantastic time. You can check out our cruise blog to Hawaii on the Celebrity Mercury at the link below in our signature line. There are pictures of our whale watch trip in the blog.

You won't believe the number of whales there at that time of year.

Aloha,

The Humback Whales are in Hawaiian waters from late November until late April. Lahaina is a great place to see them. I have gone out several times with Captain Steve and highly recommend him. The small boats are much better. On my last 2 trips with Captain Steve, he was able to find a group of male humpbacks chasing after a female. It was amazing to see the males battling each other. We followed the group for quite a long time and I got great photos durring each trip.

You will also probably be able to see them from the ship. Usually they will be off in the distance, but at other times they come in close to shore.

We did a ship's whale watching excursion from the Island Princess a few years ago, and it was great. When we went to board the excursion boat, we learned that it was operated by the Pacific Whale Foundation. There was a Foundation naturalist onboard, and we felt that served to enhance the excursion. The boat was good sized, so there were plenty of spaces at the railing so everyone could view and take pictures of the humpbacks.

We saw dozens of whales during the excursion, and later, when we returned to the ship, we were able see whales from our balcony, and at sailaway from Lahina, there were quite a few within ready view.

We go to Maui all the time and have gone on the Pacific Whale Foundation. We actually enjoy them more than anyone else. Enjoy

the naturalist onboard and it doesn't seem as commerical as some. Would highly recommend them. If you just walk down to the pier (it's in town), you can find all sorts of trips offered.

We were in Lahaina this past beginning of March and there were whales everywhere. We avoided Pacific Whale Foundation because we thought they carried too many people and understand they do not do research anymore, but still portray themselves as researchers. They still do research and address environmental issues. My son lives on Maui and is very involved in this worthwhile organization.

We went with Ultimate Whale Watch on a zodiac boat and had a fantastic time. You can check out our cruise blog to Hawaii on the Celebrity Mercury at the link below in our signature line. There are pictures of our whale watch trip in the blog.

You won't believe the number of whales there at that time of year.

...:confused:

We have been to Maui at all times of year and I can validate that you should see plenty of whales and babies in March. We've gone with Pacific Whale Foundation as well as many others off Kaanapali and all were terrific. Even if there are a lot of people, the boats are large enough that you should be able to see all sorts of whale behavior at some point. Don't miss it as seeing the whales is truly a spectacular experience.

Princess is getting their cut of the action. Their excursion $49, Pacific Whale Foundation $28.75 less 10% if you book on line, both are 2 hours.

Thanks for all the input so far. I am really looking forward to this and would still love to hear from more of you. I did check out both of the links that were provided, a special thanks for that. Can I do all 3? Guess not.

We had such a terrific excursion (8:30 AM) with the Pacific Whale Foundation last February while on vacation on Maui, that we booked the sunrise whale watch with them for the next morning. On the first day we were on one of their larger boats -- I think that it holds a maximum of 150 pax -- and I got absolutely incredible pictures (shot 500 in the 2 hours) of full flukes, tail slapping, muggings etc., my husband managed to get a full breaching on video. The captain and the two naturalists were wonderful and we probably saw a total of 70 - 80 whales. The next morning, smaller research boat, we saw very few whales. Either they were still sleeping (just kidding, as we learned that they never totally sleep) or busy having breakfast:p.

We would again go with Pacific Whale Foundation in a heartbeat. We loved whale watching in Alaska with Harv & Marv, but this was a totally different ballgame!:D

Archived