Arriving via Gem~ Transportation

gbcruise

We will arrive via NCL Gem Dec 12th at Manhatten terminal, anyone know exact pier #?

Will their be taxis outside to take us to 42nd Street Helmsley Hotel or do I call a car service? What is the distance from pier to hotel?

We want the 3 day Grayline tickets. Is it best to prepurchase or find a ticket booth. If so is their a booth by the port?

Thank you in advance, I didnt see these answers as I looked through threads.

We will arrive via NCL Gem Dec 12th at Manhatten terminal, anyone know exact pier #?

Will their be taxis outside to take us to 42nd Street Helmsley Hotel or do I call a car service? What is the distance from pier to hotel?

We want the 3 day Grayline tickets. Is it best to prepurchase or find a ticket booth. If so is their a booth by the port?

Thank you in advance, I didnt see these answers as I looked through threads.

generally but not always its pier 88 at 48th street and 12th avenue-its the most modern of the piers and the one they tend to use for NCL. Yes there will be cabs(sometimes there is short wait until there are enough for everyone). You can use a car service but its about the same as waiting for a cab. Its not far you are looking at a less than $10.00 or so cab ride. Its no more than a mile or so.

personally if you want to get around the city use the subway and buses. The Grayline is good for a day to see what you should go into in depth but the fast way is the subway in Manhattan. Its safe and really faster than the streets. there are always relatively inexpensive cabs around.

Thank you both for your informative & quick replies, this information is so helpful.

I personally talked to a representative at the Helmsley front desk. I asked if we could store luggage for the day & he confirmed I could. He also said they have no set check in time. This really surprised me, so, when we arrive around 10:30am if they have a available room does this mean I can go ahead & checkin? If so, New York is above & beyond customer friendly,I'm just skeptical that its too good to be true.

So the subway system isnt going to be intimidating to this Kansas girl?? I was leaning towards the Grayline, & paying more so I could have the security to get on & off without figuring out which subway to get us all over the place. And the Grayline offered 3 choices for free entrance which we would be paying for. Do I need to just study a subway map, whereever I can find one & save some money?

Lastly where is the best map interactive map?

Thank you both for your informative & quick replies, this information is so helpful.

I personally talked to a representative at the Helmsley front desk. I asked if we could store luggage for the day & he confirmed I could. He also said they have no set check in time. This really surprised me, so, when we arrive around 10:30am if they have a available room does this mean I can go ahead & checkin? If so, New York is above & beyond customer friendly,I'm just skeptical that its too good to be true.

So the subway system isnt going to be intimidating to this Kansas girl?? I was leaning towards the Grayline, & paying more so I could have the security to get on & off without figuring out which subway to get us all over the place. And the Grayline offered 3 choices for free entrance which we would be paying for. Do I need to just study a subway map, whereever I can find one & save some money?

Lastly where is the best map interactive map?

you can look at http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm for map info. In manhattan its real easy on the subway. You can always ask. people non rush hour will normally be happy to help. What are the three free entrances. Its not the money it the time you will wait for the Greyline bus that troubles me.

The Bronx is up the Battery is down the people ride in a hole in the ground.

I just took our 2 1/2 year old for his first ride. its now his subway(ask him)...

The Grayline would take us to all of the spots we were interested in with the exception of Hoboken. With the 72 hour pass they allow you to pick 3 choice tickets. We were thinking about tickets to AMNH, TOR & Tribute WTC Visitor Center.

I would much rather pay the daily amount per person for the subway. If it is as easy as you mention then we may be riding the subway. I do want to maximize the time we have over the 3 days so subway verses the grayline does seem reasonable, just dont want to be intimidated.

So neat that you got to experience your sons first subway ride with him, all little boys love trains & subways.

The Grayline would take us to all of the spots we were interested in with the exception of Hoboken. With the 72 hour pass they allow you to pick 3 choice tickets. We were thinking about tickets to AMNH, TOR & Tribute WTC Visitor Center.

I would much rather pay the daily amount per person for the subway. If it is as easy as you mention then we may be riding the subway. I do want to maximize the time we have over the 3 days so subway verses the grayline does seem reasonable, just dont want to be intimidated.

So neat that you got to experience your grandsons first subway ride with him, all little boys love trains & subways.

What is your prior travel experience in big cities and on public transportation?

So neat that you got to experience your sons first subway ride with him, all little boys love trains & subways.

I know the AMNR = American Museum of Natural History is at 79th street and Central park west(an easy ride on the C or B train. I am not sure what the TOR is the Tribute to the World Trade Center is at the Chambers street stop of the A/C/E train and Hoboken is easily gotten to on the PATH train(port authority trans Hudson). There is an all day subway/bus pass for I think $8.25(http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited) is not good on the Path however that is not part of the NY City Subway Bus System as it is interstate.

ps it was my grandson's first ride

What is your prior travel experience in big cities and on public transportation?

Never used public transport regarding bus or subways. We live in a rural Kansas community & when traveling by air we usually then rent a vehicle to get from point A to point B, etc.

Will be using bus & subway in Barcelona so that will be a dry run for NY.

Never used public transport regarding bus or subways. We live in a rural Kansas community & when traveling by air we usually then rent a vehicle to get from point A to point B, etc.

Will be using bus & subway in Barcelona so that will be a dry run for NY.

That is funny because in Barcelona I only took cabs. Watch out there is more pickpockets in Spain than in NYC by far.

This is my favorite NY subway map because it is superimposed on the street locations - http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/ - and gives you a actual feel for the distances. It also includes the Path trains to NJ. For example look at lower Manhattan to see how close together all the stations are. Then look at 42nd Street to see that some subway transfer points are actually a full avenue apart. You can also see that distance between most avenues is about the distance of 4 streets. Come with your most comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk!

That is funny because in Barcelona I only took cabs. Watch out there is more pickpockets in Spain than in NYC by far.

That is so true. I am ditching the purse & utilizing safer techniques for carrying funds. It's all of the antics that I've read that astonish me.....they will do anything to distract so pickpocketing can take place.

This is my favorite NY subway map because it is superimposed on the street locations - http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/ - and gives you a actual feel for the distances. It also includes the Path trains to NJ. For example look at lower Manhattan to see how close together all the stations are. Then look at 42nd Street to see that some subway transfer points are actually a full avenue apart. You can also see that distance between most avenues is about the distance of 4 streets. Come with your most comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk!

Very nice, another wonderful reference, thank you. We will be visiting your beautiful city Dec 12-15. Traditionally is it bitterly cold during mid December?

I am finding their are many great places to visit at no charge. Are their discount tickets available anywhere for AMNH, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, TOTR, Empire State Bldg, Ground Zero (no sure if ticketed)? We will be seeing Lion King, I'm pretty sure its not a discounted show.

We came in on the Triumph on Oct 10 and almost missed our 1pm flight due to the wait for taxis! There was a huge line of folks getting off the ship and hardly any taxis in sight. There were several 5-7 minute periods where no cabs were available. Our taxi driver, who had dropped someone off leaving on the next cruise, said that it's not worth it for the cab drivers to wait at the cruise terminal, since many of the folks leaving are only going a few blocks to hotels and that the traffic around the cruise terminal is terrible.

It took us an hour and 10 minutes to get a cab at the cruise terminal. Next time, I would arrange for a private car service or use the airport transportation that the cruise lines provide.

(Although the folks that took the Carnival shuttle from the airport to the cruise ship ended up in Bayonne, NJ at the wrong cruise terminal!! :eek:)

Oh, but we did enjoy our time in NYC before the cruise. You'll have a great time and it will be gorgeous in Manhattan during December. The stores will have fabulous holiday window displays!

We will be visiting your beautiful city Dec 12-15. Traditionally is it bitterly cold during mid December?

ABout the same temp as Pittsburg KS. Low 40's-high 30's.

You are in NYC at the PERFECT time. Xmas is in the air. You can spend HOURS just looking at the window displays, Rockefeller Center Xmas tree, watching them skate at either Wollman or Rockefeller Center. Try to see the Xmas show at Radio City. The "behind the scenes tour" is well worth the money as are the VIP tickets (NOT VIP elite-too expensive) to the show (orchestra seats, champagne and special entry). Enjoy!!!

Your beautiful city was the final deciding factor regarding if we would leave Barcelona on the NCL Gem or the RCCL Voyager. We made the right choice this time. DH & I will see the highlights of NY during our 3 days.

I'm considering surprising my 16DD & bringing her to NY for her Springbreak for a mom/dd retreat. I will then have a sense of direction/location to make a calmer trip for us. She is a dancer so it will be amazing for her.

Archived