Best cruise for senior newbies?

tiamar

Let me preface this by saying we love cruising. DH and I took our first cruise in 1995 on a little no name cruise line and were hooked although we haven't been able to start cruising again until this year. Now we are trying to take my inlaws with us and are facing some hesitation on their part. My MIL is super active and never sits still. She works out every day and although retired, picked up a part-time job because she just isn't one to not work. My FIL, on the other hand, loved the day he retired. He is not active nor cares to be. We talked to each of them separately about all the great things to do on a cruise (excursions, activities on the ship, dancing, dining, etc.), but for her it seems to sedate (I know! :D) and for him it seems to active.

I thought if we could try a short cruise for them that would satisfy them both, it would be a great introduction into the world of cruising. Any ideas are certainly appreciated.

Let them decide if they want to go....don't force them into it. Yes, it's true the most likely will love it, but sometimes, when you go on and on and on about something, the folks you're trying to convince just get worn out by your talk and will not enjoy it, just out of spite!

Not sure how short a cruise you want but if you mean 3 or 4 days that will limit which cruiseline to pick. My suggestions would be Princess or Holland America, but their short cruise is 7 days.

I understand how your MIL feels. I had to be dragged on board for my first cruise, I was positive I wouldn't enjoy it. You can see by my signature how wrong I was. :eek::D

Wow! This is why I love CC! Thank you all for giving me such great advice, including maybe to stop talking so much about our love of cruising and just give it a rest for a while. But when I do plan a cruise, I will utilize your suggestions. I could see how a big ship like the Oasis would be a turn off for them, so I am sticking to smaller ships. Thanks again!

Not trying to be smart but I would leave them home. I would continue to tell them how great your cruises were but not go overboard in asking them to go.

Waite till they start asking you about the cruise.:cool:

If you get them to go reluctantly and they don't have a good time. Guess what.:eek:

Archived