Cherbourg to Bayeux- DIY?

digital_curator

As you are going in September 2010...

There will be a schedule change in December 2009 and June 2010...

So based on the schedule for March 2010:

around 55 minutes...

15.40 EUR per ticket in 2nd class...

Subject the schedule will remain same from March to September...

09.46 hrs departure from Cherbourg

10.41 hrs arrival at Bayeux

13.15 hrs departure from Bayeux

14.11 hrs arrival at Cherbourg

BUT you need to be back on the ship 30 minutes ahead of departure...

and if you miss this train the next starts at 18.15 hrs...

The train before is

11.15 hrs departure from Bayeux

12.11 hrs arrival at Cherbourg

BUT IT'S TOO EARLY TO DECIDE:

If you see the current schedule:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Images/Cherbourg%20Paris%20été%202009_tcm24-21592.pdf

There is also a 12.16 hrs departure...

So I would wait for early Summer 2010 and ask again.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

We rented a car through Auto Europe. There are a few agencies near the cruise dock. We went to Juno Beach, Bayeux (Tapestry)and Caen Memorial. Easy driving, good roads. We had no problem but did have a few more hours.

• 2 months later...

We did Bayeux under our own steam this summer and didn't find it a rush at all. We took the train (happy to give you walking directions from the port if you want) and visited the tapestry (loved it!!), the cathedral (preferred this one to Rouen) and also went to the Commonwealth War Cemetery as we're British. This was a highly emotional place to see. We had time for lunch in one of the cafes on the main street and I enjoyed a yummy cream cake. It is a really charming French town and I would highly recommend a visit. :)

Whatever you do, don't hang around Cherbourg. Devastated by bombing during WW2 and not much left, poor people! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Do it by car. We used https://www.nationalcar.com/ for about €70 for the day and got a free upgrade. You can phone their office from the tourist info desk in the cruise terminal and they will come and pick you up (its only 3 or 4 mins to the office). We did the US beaches from Cherbourg, but its not much further to Bayeaux..only an hour or so drive.

Simon

• 6 months later...
We did Bayeux under our own steam this summer and didn't find it a rush at all. We took the train (happy to give you walking directions from the port if you want) and visited the tapestry (loved it!!), the cathedral (preferred this one to Rouen) and also went to the Commonwealth War Cemetery as we're British. This was a highly emotional place to see. We had time for lunch in one of the cafes on the main street and I enjoyed a yummy cream cake. It is a really charming French town and I would highly recommend a visit. :)

Whatever you do, don't hang around Cherbourg. Devastated by bombing during WW2 and not much left, poor people! :(

We'd be most grateful for those directions -- as well as how long it took and whether it was an easy walk or not. (Were taxis available at the dock to take to the train station?) Also, on the Bayeux end: Was it an easy walk to town?

MANY THANKS,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

We'd be most grateful for those directions -- as well as how long it took and whether it was an easy walk or not. (Were taxis available at the dock to take to the train station?) Also, on the Bayeux end: Was it an easy walk to town?

MANY THANKS,

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

Heres the map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=All%C3%A9e+du+Pr%C3%A9sident+Menut&daddr=Quai+Alexandre+III+to:Avenue+Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois+Millet%2FD901+to:Avenue+Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois+Millet%2FD901+to:Avenue+Jean-Fran%C3%A7ois+Millet%2FD901+to:Unknown+road&geocode=FcqI9QIdJFTn_w%3BFeha9QIdKz_n_w%3BFUZa9QIdZkfn_w%3BFUla9QIdPkfn_w%3BFRJa9QIdqEHn_w%3BFShZ9QIdrEHn_w&hl=en&mra=ls&via=1,2,3,4&dirflg=w&sll=49.634626,-1.621116&sspn=0.004023,0.009077&ie=UTF8&t=k&z=15

'A' is the doors to the cruise terminal (taxis are available), 'B' is the train station. I'm afraid the blue line for the route has gone a bit wonky(!), but I'm sure you get the idea!

Simon

Archived