Which is the best PAYG sim for the US?

Sue's Mom

We are from the UK and wish to purchase a US sim card, mainly for emergency purposes such as contacting the ship if we are going to be late back from an excursion which we arranged ourselves. This would give my DH some comfort as he is a bit of a worrier and we always have to be back on board at least 2 hours before sailaway.

My question is this: which provider would suit our purposes best? The phone will not be used to phone home as I will be taking my netbook. So, my quad-band phone (unlocked) will be for emergencies only, although, from that point of view ;), I am hoping I will not need it. :).

It would be useful to be able to purchase a sim from Ebay but, failing that, we will be staying in Las Vegas for three nights and I could buy one there.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure you can do this but you might pull up Wall Mart to see if anything like this is available.

The number the ship gives out is their port agent.

If your late getting back from an excursion you did your self the ship will more than likely leave period, call or no call. Depending on the port and time involved they will wait a reasonable time on late ship tours and leave also. Then you call the port agent.

I've yet to find any carrier in the US that'll sells SIM cards individually (that has a certain pre-paid number of minutes); you'll usually have to sign up for some service plan.

One alternative that come to mind...Buy a "disposable" cellphone, it'll come with a its own number and at least 30 minutes, which you can recharge with a credit card. In Vega$ goto the electronics dept at the CVS Drug Store or Walgreens Drug Store on The Strip, they should have a selection there.

I've yet to find any carrier in the US that'll sells SIM cards individually (that has a certain pre-paid number of minutes); you'll usually have to sign up for some service plan.

One alternative that come to mind...Buy a "disposable" cellphone, it'll come with a its own number and at least 30 minutes, which you can recharge with a credit card. In Vega$ goto the electronics dept at the CVS Drug Store or Walgreens Drug Store on The Strip, they should have a selection there.

That's interesting. Thank you.

And thanks to everyone else who responded.

I assumed that the ship would not wait but I am trying to give my DH a little piece of mind and save us having to get back to the ship in a panic with still 2 hours to go, which is what happened in New York last year.

You can buy a SIM card from any AT&T store. They also have different prepaid plans available - $1 per call, flat rate $.25 per minute, etc.

You can buy either a refill card or you can also buy minutes online through their website. $25.00 refill is valid for three months and if you reload before the expiration, your minutes rollover, too.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

T-Mobile has been selling a pre-paid SIM card for years.

You pay only for time used.

Rates are very good.

The SIM card will roam all over the USA.

No monthly fees, insurance, sign-up charges, or other nonsense.

You can recharge the SIM with a credit card over the telephone or online.

Since the card is from USA, it will not support the more sophisticated functions that European and Asian mobile telephones have. But you can make calls, roam, and receive voice mail.

You will be able to buy a sim card on eBay no problem. I bought one last summer for my trip to Seattle. I will not be getting one this time around as we never used it and if I do need to use it then I will pay for the call as my plan allows for roaming. I don't need to phone home for any reason nor does anyone need to contact me so this will work for us and save the hassle and small expense.

Thanks Maria and Bruice. I think T-Mobile seems to fit my requirements. I will see if I can buy one online' date=' probably from Ebay. Failing that, where would I get one from in LV please?[/quote']

Yes, just go to any T-mobile or AT&T store in Las Vegas.

I do not know much about them but this may work for you if you find a Best Buy store

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8240628&st=sim+card&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1191627772229

DH said you can also get ones in the UK to cover International areas

Or just ask the crew once onboard...they know the best places

Archived