Available Credit

cruzin princess

Just returned last week from the Golden Princess and have just received my Visa bill with the trip charges on it. I reviewed my bill and the charges match but here's the problem.

When I look at my credit line, they are still holding this amount against my available credit. I called my bank and they had almost daily holds put on my account from the 6th of October until the 11th when we got off the ship.

How can they do this? If the bill has already been paid why would they still have this hold on my available credit?

I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else before I call Princess customer service.

Thanks for any input.

It is not just Princess, it happens for a lot of purchases whether they are rental cars, hotels or retail. It is a most frustrating occurence and seems to be a random event. Phone your bank and see when they expect the hold to release and then phone Princess.

Holds typically have a timeframe attached to them. You say you just returned, so I'd them a few more days to automatically disappear.

Perhaps a banker here on the forum can shed more light on this issue for you.

Lew

Princess normally releases all holds against a credit card when the final bill charge is processed on the last day. Some banks may take longer than others to process the hold release (and and actual final bill charge), but if you already have received your billing statement, that should have been enough time.

IF you used a debit card with a Visa logo, and not an actual credit card, the holds are processed differently by different banks.

Thanks for your replies.

We got off the ship on the 11th and there are holds from Princess all the way back to the 6th. It appears they periodically hold additional money as you charge on the ship. There were a total of 8 different amounts being held totaling almost $1,300.

Our Visa bill came in on Saturday and the total charge for our final bill from the cruise was on the bill. However, our available credit still has all of these holds on there.

Princess blames the bank and the bank blames Princess. I will wait until Friday and then call the bank again. It's a good thing I have a lard amount of credit available. However, this is probably happening to others who don't have a large credit limit.

Thanks for your replies.

We got off the ship on the 11th and there are holds from Princess all the way back to the 6th. It appears they periodically hold additional money as you charge on the ship. There were a total of 8 different amounts being held totaling almost $1,300.

Our Visa bill came in on Saturday and the total charge for our final bill from the cruise was on the bill. However, our available credit still has all of these holds on there.

Princess blames the bank and the bank blames Princess. I will wait until Friday and then call the bank again. It's a good thing I have a lard amount of credit available. However, this is probably happening to others who don't have a large credit limit.

Can I ask you a question on this... was the $1,300 approx what your onboard bill was? I'm curious if they place daily holds way above what you're spending or keep it in line with what your daily spending is.

Tx

Archived