Packing and luggage

jkstoy

I feel really stupid for asking this. I had thought I "read" everything but now that I am actually packing.... I'm loosing it!!!

I have no idea how everyone does this.... but you know the luggage that can be stacked inside each other (empty). I got out the "middle" one and started packing.... ummmm, I don't have room for everything... and since it's Halloween I have "extra" stuff to take.

The other "middle" one has the small ice chest w/water and soda.... snorkels, masks, booties, hairdryer, power strip... and a few other items that will be going in later.....

I really didn't want to move up to the next size, but I may have to... Grrrrrr

And then, I have to think about the "stuff" I bring back...

Any suggestions?:eek:

I know... I'm taking to many clothes!!! But I have to

I take it you are bringing a collasible cooler in your luggage, you can always use a trash can and fill it with ice. You probably have a couple in your cabin, one can be spared.

We bring a large bag like the ones you buy in the ports with the name of the port on it ... folded inside the checked suitcase for the overflow when we pack to come home.

We check one and carry one suitcase on, was really too heavy on my 2 week B2B so I will pack even lighter next cruise.

I feel really stupid for asking this. I had thought I "read" everything but now that I am actually packing.... I'm loosing it!!!

I have no idea how everyone does this.... but you know the luggage that can be stacked inside each other (empty). I got out the "middle" one and started packing.... ummmm, I don't have room for everything... and since it's Halloween I have "extra" stuff to take.

The other "middle" one has the small ice chest w/water and soda.... snorkels, masks, booties, hairdryer, power strip... and a few other items that will be going in later.....

I pack everything into a 22" roll-on-board and take ONLY the essentials and ONLY the things I know I'll need.

No powerstrips, no ice chests, no duct tape, no clocks,.....nothing.

You really don't need all that stuff at all. After you've traveled for a while, you'll find out that true freedom is the smallest suitcase you can get by with. Dragging all that stuff around is unnecessary.

I pack everything into a 22" roll-on-board and take ONLY the essentials and ONLY the things I know I'll need.

No powerstrips' date=' no ice chests, no duct tape, no clocks,.....nothing.

You really don't need all that stuff at all. After you've traveled for a while, you'll find out that true freedom is the smallest suitcase you can get by with. Dragging all that stuff around is unnecessary.[/quote']

G'ma - how do you survive without a crockpot?:eek:

Had the same problem my first cruise did not want to crush the clothes.

So go ahead and move to the large suitcase. (just don't add more because it is bigger:D). Hopefully this will allow room for your purchases.

Next time you will know what to take and what you can cut down on.

Like G'ma I am now in a very small suitcase with room to spare.

Enjoy your Cruise

If you're flying to port, you do need to watch the weight on the bags. If you're driving, there's no need to restrict your packing...the ship has no real limits...(well, 200lbs per person!!), so bring what you want!

Carnival says 50 lbs limit per bag ... not that Im aware of them enforcing it, but they do show that in the FAQs.

Or you could just bring the mask and snorkel and use their fins.

Time to really start editing.

Can things be worn more than once? Do most tops go with most bottoms?

Do you really need more than 4 pair of shoes? Dress, sneaker/walking, day sandal, flip flop. Wear the bulkiest on the plane.

We use the travel Space Bags. Saves a lot of room. Don't forget to pack inside the cooler and your shoes.

My Mom brings one or two bottles of water then refills on the ship. I buy a bottle on the ship then refill that. Soda can always be bought in port. Most cabins have fridges and ice buckets.

Don't actually need a power strip, just a three outlet extension ($1) cord. Belkin makes a travel surge protector ($20) that is palm sized.

We have actually bought onboard a small collapsible duffle to bring stuff home in.

i take whatever i want...if that means a blender and a crockpot, that's fine...

and i have done alot of traveling. freedom is doing what you want! if squeezing everything into one little bag and having no room for any purchases is what you want go for it.

if having your cooler, your crock pot, fishing pole etc. is what you want...by all means pack it.

i always take our larger suitcase. i usually place things in it that are bulky but not neccessarily heavy...such as my beach blanket that goes with me. yes, i could take a towel, but i like my padded quilted beach blanket. dh likes his boots for dinner and formal nights...they take up space. so we just use the bigger case.

we will usually check our limit...and then carry-on too, on to the plane.

so you do what you want. just because some people may want to wear the same thing over and over, or do laundry or whatever to save space does not mean you have to. and the blowdryers stink if you have lots of hair to dry. i can pack for a week in a backpack...or i can take 6 suitcases and 2 tote bags on a cruise....i have done both. it's my vacation, if i want it with me, i take it!

Thanks for the advice. Today, I moved to the bigger suitcase. I have room to put two mexican blankets to bring back. My DD will also take the same size suitcase. Then just a medium one for the small ice chest w/water, soda already in it and the snorkel gear... no fins!

I have to bring my own snorkel gear, it fits my face and I know where the mouth piece has been.

I'm sure I will learn a lot from this cruise. I'm taking bits and pieces of different advice that I have read on these boards. They have helped!! I will not take duck tape, laptop, clock, blender, nor 10 pairs of shoes.

You really don't need all that stuff at all.

While you may not, others do. The only vacation I pack a power strip is for a cruise because there's only one outlet in the cabin. The only trip I don't pack a blow dryer for is camping. The ones in most hotels and ships will not dry my hair in less than 30 minutes. Not even good for drying my nails......

Though it is true, the more cruises you go on, the more you are able to pare down the packing list (especially clothes - I now send out clothes mid-cruise for laundry). But if you are driving, the size and quantity of your luggage isn't of the same concern as if you are flying, though some ports are enforcing the 50# limit now.

Ditch virtually everything in the "middle" one. Sounds like you are taking way too much "stuff".

I have read a lot of things to pack or not pack. I cannot see packing a game system for the kidos when they have their own things to do. My kids would be in the pool most of the day anyway. So for me a game system needs to stay home. That is of course if your cruise was designed for a family vacation. Then spend time with family not the new digital babysitter. But each family has their own values.

I have packed a small palm sized alarm clock. Just cause I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night. As for a power strip, I personally won't need one. I don't blow dry my hair. Or have anything else that I will need to plug in.

My biggest problem will be what to pack when going on excursions. But I have nearly a year to figure out what I want to carry around with me or not.

Depending on when and where you are going some people can not just pack one suit case and think that is enough. My sister and I did the Mardi Gras Cruise on the Voyager of the Seas this past February. We had room decorations (cabin crawl and parties), costumes and throws (cups, beads, deballions, candy, etc). And then we were lucky enough to have the head of our Mardi Gras Krewe bring a case of beads for all of us. Yes we did pay for them but Mr. Cross (CCXNOLA here on CC) was kind enough to bring cases and cases of beads for all of us. Plus we had our clothes for everyday (shorts and capris for sea days and pants for port days plus t-shirts and blouses). We also had our formal(s) for two formal nights and long pants, skirts and tops for casual nights.

IMMHO I feel that people who can pack one suite case are those who sit by the pool or beach all day. I am not trying to step on any toes but this is how I feel. And if I am stepping on your toes or hurting your feelings please forgive me.

My sister and I are in our 60's and wearing shorts and t-shirts are no longer for us. We now wear nice comfortable light-weight slacks when we are touring or shopping in the ports.

I am attaching a couple of photos of our costumes and some of the throws (beads, cups, and bracelets) that we threw at one of our two Mardi Gras parades we had on the ship. So you can see that somethings people do need more than one suitcase.

i wanna be one of those that can just take EVERYTHING in a carry-on but its probably NEVER gonna work for ME and that is fine...each time i learn more and more what to take, not to take, what works and what doesnt work...but that is for me and hubby and maybe not YOU and YOU just need to FIND what WORKS well for YOU on your cruise!!! so TAKE what YOU want or feel YOU NEED or dont take it...ITS YOUR CHOICE;)

Have several cruises and many vacations with flights involved under our belts. We still use one medium size suitcase (under 50 lbs) and one rolling carry on for each of us when we travel and when we get there we always have what we need and honestly wear just about everything we take. We are very active and get our clothes dirty on shore excursions. Don't want to re-wear them. Last cruise we did a load of laundry (1st time ever) and that worked out well. Mostly whites - hubby's T shirts and our undies. It is not FUN for us to wear the same clothes over and over again on vacation. I think those who pack light do not need the number of shorts and T's we do. Perhaps they spend most time in a bathing suit and wear same formal clothes several times. We repeat bottoms (slacks/shorts/capris) but not tops and mix and match tops with bottoms for dinners. Hubby still takes a suit and just changes the shirt and tie. We re-wear things that we've only worn for a few hours on sea days or in the evening. I've also seen the light packers who wear their heavy stuff on the plane (suit jacket - tennis or dress shoes, etc) and this is not how we like to begin our vacation. Also - pack a sweater or sweatshirt as the ship can be very chilly. ENJOY

I completely understand what your saying. I'm not a pool laying around person. I have mixed/matched most my clothes. Yes, I'll take a couple extra tops just in case.

My concern was what Carnival had on there website about luggage and IF I was the odd man out. They state " not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length". I'm not going over the 50lb but my LARGE suite case is 17h x 22w x 28length.

I thought this was a small bag and really it is. I know there are much larger bags out there. Thus the reason for my post and question.

Packing my daughter tonight.. yea!!!

Archived