shopping for rolex watches and pure vanilla in Western Caribbean

woodridge

Vanilla; There are a ton of place with high quality vanilla in Cozumel.

As for the Rolex. Be careful. If you find an amazing deal...it is just that, amazing that some folks fall for it!

I would be sure you do a few web searches for going. Get a full range of Rolex pricing, do lots of homework before you go!

If you decide to buy because of the ship's guarantee policy, be careful..READ the fine print before your final decision.

We bought our Rolex's in Cozumel. They have an official dealer there. I have their card somewhere. I bought a Submariner and my wife bought a Rose faced Oyster. They were 20% cheaper than the states. Something funny... On our last trip on Liberty the customs guy had me take my Sub off so he could inspect it. I have had it for 5 years at that point. Funny..:D

Re: Vanilla

• Available just about anywhere a tourist shops
  • Make certain it states 100 %
  • Make certain the seal has not been tampered with .
  • Since it's 100% alcohol, USA Customs applies it against the per person liquor quota.
  • Assume you are a baker or purchasing it for someone who is a baker. Since it's 100 % , remember to start out using 1/2 what the recipe calls , you can always add more, otherwise it can over power the rest of the flavors in the recipe. Most recipes assume you are using the standard grocery store vanilla which is considerably lower in strength.
  • Enjoy !

My husband purchased my Rolex in St. Maarten at Goldfinger Jewelers. They are on Front Street and are an official Rolex dealer. It was much less expensive than purchasing in the States and you are also saving by paying no sales tax, which you would normally pay in the States.

There's an ingredient in some Mexican vanilla that's considered dangerous. I don't recall the name, it starts with a "C" I believe. Perhaps someone can chime in and help. So you need to be careful that the vanilla you purchase says "C_____________-free."

As far as the Rolex's. I think there's only one "authorized" Rolex dealer per island.

OK, I just checked.....the ingredient you must avoid is COUMARIN.

Los Cinco Soles is the best place to buy the vanilla. And believe me, there is something about it that far surpasses anything I have found in the States. I do a tremendous amount of baking and I would not bake without my vanilla from Mexico.

Vanilla info

Many people have long held vanilla from Mexico to be the highest quality vanilla extract. Purchasers of Mexican vanilla should use caution, however. Mexican vanilla is often not pure vanilla; it can be imitation vanilla created synthetically, or include certain artificial colorings that are banned in

the United States.

One of the largest concerns with Mexican vanilla extract, however, is that rather than being produced from true vanilla beans, it is often created from the tonka bean. The flavorings of the tonka bean are similar to vanilla, and are cheap throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. The problem with tonka beans is they are considered dangerous to the liver, potentially carcinogenic, and have been illegal in the United States for over 50 years. This flavoring is often combined with synthetic vanilla to give it a more pure and natural flavor. Consumers of Mexican vanilla should purchase from reputable sources to access the finest Mexican vanilla extract

Re: Vanilla

• Available just about anywhere a tourist shops
  • Make certain it states 100 %
  • Make certain the seal has not been tampered with .
  • Since it's 100% alcohol, USA Customs applies it against the per person liquor quota.
  • Assume you are a baker or purchasing it for someone who is a baker. Since it's 100 % , remember to start out using 1/2 what the recipe calls , you can always add more, otherwise it can over power the rest of the flavors in the recipe. Most recipes assume you are using the standard grocery store vanilla which is considerably lower in strength.
  • Enjoy !

Maybe cutting the measurement in half is what I should do. I

really didn't care for the flavor when I got it back home and used it.

Maybe it's just too strong. I some sitting in the cabinet but went

back to using McCormicks.

There's an ingredient in some Mexican vanilla that's considered dangerous. I don't recall the name, it starts with a "C" I believe. Perhaps someone can chime in and help. So you need to be careful that the vanilla you purchase says "C_____________-free."

As far as the Rolex's. I think there's only one "authorized" Rolex dealer per island.

OK, I just checked.....the ingredient you must avoid is COUMARIN.

For more info see the Snopes article:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/vanilla.asp

Theron

Maybe cutting the measurement in half is what I should do. I

really didn't care for the flavor when I got it back home and used it.

Maybe it's just too strong. I some sitting in the cabinet but went

back to using McCormicks.

I can second (or third?) this suggestion. I first bought "real" vanilla on a trip to Barbados quite a few years ago, and it is about twice as strong as what most US recipes are expecting you to be using.

Theron

The first time I bought vanilla in the Caribbean it was from Grenada and is the best I've found. Right now I'm using Mexican vanilla. If you do a lot of baking, you can also get white vanilla that doesn't colour frostings. My supply is getting low so I see a trip in my future. :D

2P.P1

We bought our Rolex's in Cozumel. They have an official dealer there. I have their card somewhere. I bought a Submariner and my wife bought a Rose faced Oyster. They were 20% cheaper than the states. Something funny... On our last trip on Liberty the customs guy had me take my Sub off so he could inspect it. I have had it for 5 years at that point. Funny..:D

You can buy counterfeits that are very good. But very illegal. Customs always on the lookout.

You can buy counterfeits that are very good. But very illegal. Customs always on the lookout.

Basically, you're dealing with the exchange rate between the Swiss Franc and the US dollar (if purchased in MX, the dollar vs. the peso vs. the franc), plus tax. Right now, the Franc is about $1.05 USD and taxes depending on the state you live in could run as high as 9%. So, with a $7-10k purchase, a 20% savings is very plausible for an authentic, papered Rolex.

Regardless, I would totally recommend NOT wearing any expensive jewelery off the ship or for that matter off the plane if coming into the country. Why draw attention? While I have a few expensive watches, I prefer to wear my Plasteramic TOY watch ($195). First it looks good (replete with the Rolex bubble) and second, if someone wants to steal it? Go for it! LOL

what ports in the Western Caribbean offer the best prices for Rolex watches and where in the Western Caribbean can I purchase pure vanilla?

To the OP... definitely Cozumel. However as has been mentioned, READ THE LABEL. Caviat emptor! Same with Rolex, however your best bet may be Jamaica. After a couple of Red Stripes, the prices don't look that bad. :) The Caymans are tied to the British Pound- not a good exchange. Mexico is a good choice as well due to the peso vs. the dollar vs. the Swiss franc. Hope you find what you're looking for! Down economy means these folks are even more willing to deal- even if it's a Rolex which tries to control pricing. Good luck.

I was in Cozumel last month looking to buy vanilla since I loved the Florida brand I bought there many years ago. I ending up coming home with no vanilla because I couldn't find any vanilla at any of the downtown shoppes that was coumarin free and didn't have water as the first ingredient. Make sure and read the label before you buy.

Archived