Live from the Sapphire Princess NON Mexico cruise

mikjr

I can understand how disappointing it must be not to go to any of the expected ports. However I don't see why Princess should provide compensation for something where there was a high probability of it occurring and is deliberately covered in their contract. I can understand if the ship ran aground or there was an unexpected outbreak of a deadly disease. Unfortunately hurricanes and diversions at this time of year should be expected.

It is what it is. I am very easy going and used to work for the airlines many years ago, so I pretty much go with the flow. It can however be a great disappointment when you don't get to go where you had anticipated. Glad to see that you are making the best of it. I am doing this cruise Dec 5 and hope the swine flu won't get in the way of my plans( I have done this route before but the person I am traveling with has not), but I am a firm believer in it is what it is, or better yet, it was meant to be is meant to be.

Of course I am happy just being on a cruise ship

I think any future Princess passenger taking the Mexican Riviera itinerary should be aware that if there is trouble in the Pacific Mexico area this is their default itinerary...and most likely will be from now on. After our cruise next May (using the credit received from the swine flu cruise) we will be trying another cruiseline.

The cruise contract, which every adult who boards signs, notes that itineraries can be changed at the last minute for any reason. If the particular ports included are super important to you, don't book a cruise. Take a land based trip.

Also, that cruise credit for your cruise in May you refer to is given not by requirement (see the contract) but out of goodwill. If you hate Princess so much decline it. You will be finding fault with every last detail so you probably won't enjoy it anyway. Might as well start booking elsewhere now.

I personally can't see why you would whine about getting a second cruise for super cheap. You'd have whined a lot more if you'd gotten swine flu, and little was known about how serious it was at that time.

Not that I don't feel sorry for the people on Sapphire right now, but if you book during storm season, you take your chances. That's why it's so cheap in October. Buy the insurance, upgrade to their platinum coverage, and watch the weather report. You can cancel for any reason up to the last minute and get the credit for another cruise. Rick was known in plenty of time for those who did that to go on another date. If you board knowing there's a hurricane in your path, you trust the Captain to take care of you, and presumably agree to enjoy a trip with any destination.

To those aboard now, enjoy the beautiful ship, the friendly staff and hospitality--and have a nice cruise!

The Sapphire avoiding a storm is a wise move. Get over the fact that things change and get over it or take a land based vacation.

On this cruise, 20 hours are dedicated to port time. The other 172 hours are a dedicated crew working to please everyone on the ship. On this cruise, they are getting 4 ports instead of 2.5. The passengers will enjoy all of the same entertainment, food and hospitality.

They key reason for a cruise is the CRUISE!!!!

On the swine flu cruises, they got the cruise, ports and a 50% credit. Literally thousands of dollars for a little inconvenience. I can guarantee that they served the same amount of food, same entertainment and did not reduce the quality of the cruise by 50%.

The worst part of the cruise culture are the people that constantly buck for something for nothing. The whiners who threaten to fire the TA because they failed to receive a free bottle of wine or the people who are disappointed when they only get two balloons instead of 3 on their birthday.

There is no doubt that a change in itinerary can bring some disappointment. Following this cruise, they are getting fantastic weather in each port and it looks like a terrific vacation.

Princess saved your vacation. What would the reaction have been if they simply cancelled the cruise when you pulled up to the dock... a ruined vacation!

Make lemonade from the lemons.

Happy cruising

What! You get ballons on your birthday! Are they free? :eek:

:)

Had some taped to my door on my birthday too! Yes, free..just fill out the special occasion section on cruise personalizer. You can let your steward know, too when you board, if you've forgotten. Mine had a banner saying "Happy Birthday" and there was a cake with a candle, and a card at dinner. It's a nice festive touch.

Happy Cruising!

Make lemonade from the lemons.

Happy cruising

Or toss the lemons and grab some limes with a bottle of Tequila hopefully at their expense:p

Passenger Contract

They all NOT all the same. A second cheap discounted cruise is useless unless you have time to take it. Not all are blessed with retirement' date=' flexibility work schedule, or even paid vacation. Once on board it's what it is but Carnival and RCCL give you the option to cancel or reschedule a booked cruise if the established itinerary has been drastically changed as in [b']the swine flu case[/b]. Not everyone cruise for the sake of being trapped on a ship. To some it's a mere means of transportation to wonderful places. The purpose of flying isn't to be in the air but hopefully to land somewhere. The purpose of a cruise is about going somewhere for some people. I too would love a Coastal cruise, hopefully one that I book and plan for. To those on-board, all the best, especially if you are from California and still believe the true reason for a cruise to go places, preferably your pick. In the end these things happen so make the most of it.

Passenger Contract: Know Before You Book

Once you are booked with Princess you are stuck with where ever they decide to take you after final payment, even before you leave your house.

Or toss the lemons and grab some limes with a bottle of Tequila hopefully at their expense:p

Passenger Contract

They all NOT all the same. A second cheap discounted cruise is useless unless you have time to take it. Not all are blessed with retirement, flexibility work schedule, or even paid vacation. Once on board it's what it is but Carnival and RCCL give you the option to cancel or reschedule a booked cruise if the established itinerary has been drastically changed as in the swine flu case. Not everyone cruise for the sake of being trapped on a ship. To some it's a mere means of transportation to wonderful places. The purpose of flying isn't to be in the air but hopefully to land somewhere. The purpose of a cruise is about going somewhere for some people. I too would love a Coastal cruise, hopefully one that I book and plan for. To those on-board, all the best, especially if you are from California and still believe the true reason for a cruise to go places, preferably your pick. In the end these things happen so make the most of it.

Passenger Contract: Know Before You Book

Once you are booked with Princess you are stuck with where ever they decide to take you after final payment, even before you leave your house.

The only difference between Princess and RCCL/Carnival that I can see in their contracts is that Princess has an option to provide a cruise credit or a refund. The rest of the contract terms about changing ports etc is just the same. Basically unless you are lucky with any cruise company 'you are stuck with where ever they decide to take you after final payment, even before you leave your house'.

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit.

ITINERARY CHANGE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE:

If Carnival has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary it will promptly – upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct guest booking.

If the itinerary change is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control, guests will have the opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty prior to sailing and within 24 hours of the guest notification, and in such an instance, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit. In the event a guest does not cancel the cruise on a timely basis, no refund of any kind will be available.

Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms.

Friends were able to cancel BOOKED cruise to Mexico before sailing those on Princess DID NOT!

They ended up offering the Coastal cruise for a little as $199 for 7 night after passengers opted out of cruising

If ports are important, cancellation rights should be vital to your plans

Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms.

Sorry but what you are posting proves they dont have to do anything if they dont want to. Yes it was nice they allowed people to cancel, but they didnt have to per the contract you just posted.

Sorry but what you are posting proves they dont have to do anything if they dont want to. Yes it was nice they allowed people to cancel, but they didnt have to per the contract you just posted.

But thy DID and have DONE. If the past actions are an indication of the future then this is imporant...correct? Princess has no similar indication in their contract. Fact, in May passengers were able to canel on Carnival but not on Princess....why, maybe a better business practice in principle! In the past Carnival has given tokens for missed ports, according to this board Princess hasn't. Nicer that they did that, especially if they did not have to.

These could be worth considering before booking or choosing a Carnival Corporation line. They win either way!

Yes, like most brillant companies the contract covers A$$ and A$$ets :-)

Princess has no similar indication in their contract.

Neither does Carnival, re-read the terms you just posted. You are trying to imply you are somehow "protected" when you book with Carnival and that is simply not true.

Again, it was nice of Carnival to make a exception to their policy in regards to the Swine flu cruises. Yes it was nice they offered a credit or cancel option to the people on the Mexico Rivera cruise because the cruise was COMPLETELY different then the one they purchased. But it was a exception and not something you are guaranteed by booking with them.

Neither does Carnival, re-read the terms you just posted. You are trying to imply you are somehow "protected" when you book with Carnival and that is simply not true.

Again, it was nice of Carnival to make a exception to their policy in regards to the Swine flu cruises. Yes it was nice they offered a credit or cancel option to the people on the Mexico Rivera cruise because the cruise was COMPLETELY different then the one they purchased. But it was a exception and not something you are guaranteed by booking with them.

LOL. Life holds no guarantee.:D:)

We can hope past actions hold true, so booking you hope for the best!

Happy cruising with Carnival Corporation :-)!

Princess do provide refunds when it is a reason within their exclusive control. They refunded my parents money for the alaska cruise when the ship ran aground the week before they were due to board in 2003.

Your quote from the contract is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control which does not apply to weather or swine flue. I found nothing in RCCLs contract a refund either.

Princess do provide refunds when it is a reason within their exclusive control. They refunded my parents money for the alaska cruise when the ship ran aground the week before they were due to board in 2003.

Your quote from the contract is for reasons within Carnival’s exclusive control which does not apply to weather or swine flue. I found nothing in RCCLs contract a refund either.

First correct, swine flu and weather are not in their control. I stand corrected...Sir;)

Botton line there are companies who still go beyond contract to take care of their passengers. There are companies that take care of passengers even when things are out of their control. This is the diffrence between good and great companies. If past actions hold true, then this could be a major consideration for future booking. Fact, in the past CCL and RCCL went beyond contract and allowed passengers to cancel or rebook in a situation that was clearly outside of their control. Now, only time will tell what the future holds, but I would place my bet on them....BINGO!

Botton line there are companies who still go beyond contract to take care of their passengers. There are companies that take care of passengers even when things are out of their control. This is the diffrence between good and great companies.

I have never sailed with Carnival but I think some may differ in your opinion of it being a great company http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/10/business/fi-lazarus10

It would be good if every cruise line could offer a refund whenever the cruise changes from the published schedule. I suppose that is why Princess offers and recommends travel insurance though.

Thanks for posting that billet. It was a very interesting read. Nice to have actual facts and comments by passengers who are speaking from their personal experience during the diversion situation. It sounds as if Carnival really dropped the ball on customer service in this situation. I think it was amazing of Princess to offer the 50% off another cruise benefit to their affected passengers. Personally, that would make me very happy!!

Nice to have actual facts and comments by passengers who are speaking from their personal experience during the diversion situation. It sounds as if Carnival really dropped the ball on customer service in this situation. I think it was amazing of Princess to offer the 50% off another cruise benefit to their affected passengers. Personally, that would make me very happy!!

Well the fact is Carnival likewise gave a 50% credit on the swine flu cruises. I know it to be a fact as several members of a past roll call were onboard the Splendor on the above article. Just 50% was enough for some people they wanted a full refund thereby giving them a free cruise.

It would be good if every cruise line could offer a refund whenever the cruise changes from the published schedule. I suppose that is why Princess offers and recommends travel insurance though.

I expect that most travel insurance (unless you pay for cancel for any reason) does not cover a change in itinerary, especially when you agree to a cruise contract that says the itinerary may change.

I expect that most travel insurance (unless you pay for cancel for any reason) does not cover a change in itinerary, especially when you agree to a cruise contract that says the itinerary may change.

Fortunately Princess Insurance does cover just that eventuality.

We had just gotten off the Sapphire when the "flu cruise" was happening on the very next one.

I, personally, would love to have had the "diversion" cruise. We love to cruise and have been to the MR more than a dozen times. It's really about the ship and spending the time onboard her.

To be diverted to SF and its environs [and, we live in Southern California and have seen SF/SD/Monterey/Carmel and all that surrounds them], it's just that the diversion would have been fun.

I, too, would love to see this itinerary and wish that Princess would do it! I'm sure the visit to Ensenada is the only complication in it!

Folks coming from the east would also probably love this itinerary!

Wow! I can't believe how hostile this board has become. I have been a member since 2001 and it is a completely different environment than it was when I joined. Different views and opinions were welcomed and not labeled as "whining". I appreciated everyone's perspective both good and bad. I guess that is not allowed anymore. There is no tolerance for a difference in opinion. Such a shame.

To answer a few questions. Yes we did receive 50% of our fare back to be used on another cruise. While I realize this was a generous gesture, we would rather not have been given this, but the option to cancel. Every other cruiseline that week gave their passengers the option to cancel without penalty. Not Princess. I do know what the contract says, we did have insurance but it would not cover the swine flu situation. In the final analysis, we felt that we had no control at all and that Princess had us by the short hairs. That is where my resentment lies. I appreciate that many of you would have been thrilled with the different itinerary, we were not.

We are using our credit for a So. Carib cruise in April. We even have the coveted E731 cabin booked. Yes, I know the ports can be changed. However with the Caribbean, even if our ports are changed, most likely we will still be going to Caribbean ports. I have booked this cruise with both eyes open and realize that Princess will be a hardliner if anything unusual occurs. Since this cruise is basically at cost, I'm okay with that. Also as I stated in my prior post we are happy with the Princess product. It's corporate that I have a problem with. Unfortunately the two can not be separated. So in the future, I will try a different cruiseline. (And thank you Tequila for slamming the door in the back of my head on the way out.)

Well the fact is Carnival likewise gave a 50% credit on the swine flu cruises. I know it to be a fact as several members of a past roll call were onboard the Splendor on the above article. Just 50% was enough for some people they wanted a full refund thereby giving them a free cruise.
Jeezzz.... I guess they didn't sleep, eat nor entertained the entire cruise. After all, that's what you pay for. There's no satisfying some people.

We had just gotten off the Sapphire when the "flu cruise" was happening on the very next one.

I, personally, would love to have had the "diversion" cruise.

I was on this same cruise and likewise, would have loved the diversion. Heck, a great cruise and 50% towards another one? What's not to like?

I, personally, would love to have had the "diversion" cruise. We love to cruise and have been to the MR more than a dozen times. It's really about the ship and spending the time onboard her.

To be diverted to SF and its environs [and, we live in Southern California and have seen SF/SD/Monterey/Carmel and all that surrounds them], it's just that the diversion would have been fun.

I, too, would love to see this itinerary and wish that Princess would do it! I'm sure the visit to Ensenada is the only complication in it!

Folks coming from the east would also probably love this itinerary!

I was on the first diverted swine flu Star Princess 10 day cruise. I loved the California costal ports. It was a nice change, even though I had been to all before, plus, since all our stops (San Pedro, Santa Barbara, Catalina and San Diego) are close, we sailed really slowly, allowing us to use our balcony while at sea.

The 50% credit was very generous of Princess. The expense and logistics to come up with replacement ports alone was quite generous of them.

I'm using my credit to try for the Mexican Riviera again, this time on the Sapphire. If it gets diverted for any reason, who cares, I'm cruising. I'm not at work, I'm not cooking or cleaning, plus I get a chocolate on my pillow each evening.

I would love to see a California coastal cruise as part of their regular itinerary. As it is, I'm considering the May 2011 cruise from LA to Vancouver. Yes, I can drive to San Francisco is a little over an hour, but to arrive there by cruise ship, that's special.

Jackie

Archived