Live from the Sapphire Princess NON Mexico cruise

mikjr

I am posting this from my IPhone hoping or comes through. If you haven't heard already our Mexican cruise was diverted to San Fran/Catalina/San Diego/Ensenada!! Woooo whooo!!

A lot of unhappy passengers. We did hear a rumor that Carnival and NCL both made it. Full review and thoughts when I return

Even though it is a disappointment, it is better to be safe than sorry!!!! Special itinerary just for you!!!! :D Even though I have been to SF alot, would love to sail into it under the Golden Gate!!!! Could have spent the day with my son in San Diego also.... Any cruise is special no matter where you go!! Hope you are having a great time anyway!!!

Your itinerary sounds light years better than the traditional Mex. Riv. Enjoy!

It would have been nice but I live on orange county. I have no need to cruise to san Diego or ensenada. Besides I packed ALL clothes for a summer vacation. I had to buy clothes to even get off

the ship in San Fran

I am posting this from my IPhone hoping or comes through. If you haven't heard already our Mexican cruise was diverted to San Fran/Catalina/San Diego/Ensenada!! Woooo whooo!!

A lot of unhappy passengers. We did hear a rumor that Carnival and NCL both made it. Full review and thoughts when I return

Here's a link...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3488

NCL's Star does a reverse itinerary to the Sapphire's. She missed Cabo on Monday. CCL's Splendor leaves a day after the Sapphire. She was able to delay her voyage by calling at Ensenada on Monday and letting the storm pass. The Sapphire would have had to sail into the storm to make her call at Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan. Both the NCL ship and the CCL ship had to cancel calls. IMHO, Princess did the right thing by not making the Sapphire do circles in the ocean for a few days so she could maybe make one call... :rolleyes:

It would have been nice but I live on orange county. I have no need to cruise to san Diego or ensenada. Besides I packed ALL clothes for a summer vacation. I had to buy clothes to even get off the ship in San Fran
While I understand your disappointment, cruising into a violent storm isn't something either the Captain nor the cruiseline wants to subject passengers to. When comparing whether other ships "made it" or not, keep in mind that sometimes, a matter of hours or even half a day can make a big difference.

It's a fact of life that weather "happens" and there's nothing you or I can do about it other than to go with the flow. I just returned yesterday from my Paris to Prague riverboat cruise and the weather averages, and the weather forecast from weather.com and wunderground.com all predicted temps in the upper 50s to 60s. Nope. Once we got to Trier, Germany, it was mostly in the 30s and low 40s with rain, freezing rain and snow. Few were prepared for it. Practically everyone bought scarfs, hats, mittens, etc. to keep warm. One good thing is that absolutely no one was ever late to the bus; we didn't want to hang around in that cold.

We're also from So. Cal--15 minutes from San Pedro Dock--You may not have such a bad trip after all--I wound up in San Francisco and found a jacket quickly--then all was well--you're right we can go to all of these easily--we can also get to Mexico easily--at least Baja--Remember that once you leave Cabo the cold weather usually sets in--so this way you know already where it's cold--are you going to San Fran first then to Catalina S.D. and Ensenada.

It's supposed to be warmer here tomorrow in Seal Beach--maybe we'll share some nice warm weather with you wherever you are--you also get to buy a Princess Sweatshirt--never to be used again !!!

Have fun, anyway, anyhow

Wish I was as accomplished with my iphone as you are

Nancy:D

We have experienced the change in itinerary and understand the disappointment, but the alternative of 6 sea days in moderate to rough seas would be worse.

We sailed on the edge of a tropical storm in the caribbean and it was rotten. We missed a port, changed a port and rocked 5 of the seven days. The ship was mostly seasick and the experience taught us that when we hear there is a storm, we pray that they find calm water so we enjoy the fine hospitality we are purchasing on the ship.

A few years ago, we ended up on a mystery cruise. A western caribbean itinerary turned into a eastern/southern trip. Port days became sea days and the other way around. We had a great time and just went with it.

This thread could be Live from the Sapphire Rockin Non Port Barf Bag Cruise. If you want an unhappy ship, experience 3 days of barf bags taped to the stairwells.:eek:

Whether the passengers accept it or not, Princess made the correct call. It looks like you are getting GREAT weather in these ports.

I hope you have a good time.

Happy Cruising

I would love a cruise that did LA, San Diego, San Francisco and Catalina (and Ensenada). I wish that were a regular itinerary I could book in advance! Why doesn't anyone do it? Doesn't including Ensenada take care of the Jones Act issues?

I was on the NonMexico Swine flu cruise. Yes, it was a disappointment. My Mom had camped on the beach 55 years ago in Mazatlan. She wanted to see the change. We had my aunt from CA with us. It was not what we planned but we had excellent family time. That is what is most important anyway!

I would love a cruise that did LA, San Diego, San Francisco and Catalina (and Ensenada). I wish that were a regular itinerary I could book in advance! Why doesn't anyone do it? Doesn't including Ensenada take care of the Jones Act issues?
I, too, would love a Pacific Coastal cruise itinerary as an alternative to the Mexican Riviera. You are right in that Ensenada would have to be on the itinerary due to the PVSA.

FYI, I read that "Rick" had winds up to 180mph. Not something you want to be anywhere near. It dissipated once it hit Mazatlan but these storms have wide-ranging wave patterns, way beyond the path of the storm by sometimes hundreds of miles. It would have been a barf cruise for sure.

FYI, I read that "Rick" had winds up to 180mph. Not something you want to be anywhere near. It dissipated once it hit Mazatlan but these storms have wide-ranging wave patterns, way beyond the path of the storm by sometimes hundreds of miles. It would have been a barf cruise for sure.

You are so right. My in-laws were on their way back from the Panama Canal last September when one of the Pacific hurricanes (name escapes me now) was heading in. They missed Cabo because of it but they couldn't completely avoid the weather and sea implications even with the revised itinerary because they were heading back up to Los Angeles. She was dreadfully sick the last couple of days and it was a miserable way to end the trip. I'm sure if it had been possible to reroute and avoid it completely, she would have been happy for that opportunity.

Our local newspaper reported that Ric hit Mazatlan, yesterday Wednesday, with 55mph winds - not a hurricane but apparently did damage. We were on this Sapphire cruise two weeks ago and Wednesday is the day you go to Mazatlan. Who knows what part of the storm the ship might have hit between Puerto Vallarta (the Tuesday port) and Mazatlan. I know people are disappointed but sailing under the Golden Gate is one of my favorite things and you can't beat San Diego on a warm sunny day.

Barbara

To the OP: I feel your pain. We were on the swine flu cruise that went up the coast instead of down the coast. Once we were on the ship we made the most of it and had an enjoyable week. It wasn't the usual excitement, but nice. I still harbor a measure of resentment toward Princess. I feel that they did (and still do) not communicate well with their customers. I agree that the safety of the customers should be their primary priority, they just need to offer the same options the other cruiselines do, i.e. the option to cancel without penalty prior to the cruise if it is changed so dramatically.

I think any future Princess passenger taking the Mexican Riviera itinerary should be aware that if there is trouble in the Pacific Mexico area this is their default itinerary...and most likely will be from now on. My niece and nephew-in-law are on another cruiseline on their honeymoon at this moment. They left on Sunday and still are able to make two stops in Mexico. Not sure why they are able to do this and Princess is not.

I used to be a Princess cheerleader, but not anymore. They have lost my loyalty. It is really too bad because I like their product once I am onboard. After our cruise next May (using the credit received from the swine flu cruise) we will be trying another cruiseline.

To the OP: I feel your pain. We were on the swine flu cruise that went up the coast instead of down the coast. Once we were on the ship we made the most of it and had an enjoyable week. It wasn't the usual excitement, but nice. I still harbor a measure of resentment toward Princess. I feel that they did (and still do) not communicate well with their customers. I agree that the safety of the customers should be their primary priority, they just need to offer the same options the other cruiselines do, i.e. the option to cancel without penalty prior to the cruise if it is changed so dramatically.

I think any future Princess passenger taking the Mexican Riviera itinerary should be aware that if there is trouble in the Pacific Mexico area this is their default itinerary...and most likely will be from now on. My niece and nephew-in-law are on another cruiseline on their honeymoon at this moment. They left on Sunday and still are able to make two stops in Mexico. Not sure why they are able to do this and Princess is not.

I used to be a Princess cheerleader, but not anymore. They have lost my loyalty. It is really too bad because I like their product once I am onboard. After our cruise next May (using the credit received from the swine flu cruise) we will be trying another cruiseline.

I had friends on one of the diverted swine flu cruises. They each received a 50% credit towards a future cruise. I think that was a great gesture by Princess. Did you receive this credit?

Archived