???? about the pools

jtm22372

ok so heres my ?? i know unpotty trained kids are not allowed in the pools .i understand why completely. my ? is if other kids are in the pool with swimmy diapers on why should i tell my dd she can"t go in if they are not enforceing it ??i have read many posts here about the crew being lax about it .just want some parents opions.i have bought a small pool for her to use but was just wondering:confused:

ok so heres my ?? i know unpotty trained kids are not allowed in the pools .i understand why completely. my ? is if other kids are in the pool with swimmy diapers on why should i tell my dd she can"t go in if they are not enforceing it ??i have read many posts here about the crew being lax about it .just want some parents opions.i have bought a small pool for her to use but was just wondering:confused:

Good point! I work for CDC and spoke with a cruise ship inspector about this. There is supposed to be an attendant monitoring the area. Particularly so that potty trained kids don't go into un-potty trained areas and cross contaminate when they return to the potty trained areas. Likewise, they are supposed to ensure that the un-pottied children don't enter the potty-trained areas. My tot is not fully potty trained. I haven't let her get in the baby/tot pools period....ever. As a former health inspector myself, I was never impressed with the care or water quality of children's pools. That experience soured me to it. I am the parent who packs an inflatable pool and lets her play in that. I am looking forward to my next cruise on the Oasis which has special areas for un-potty trained tots as well as the sprinkler areas that do not allow water accumulation. I will likely let her try those. The technology for water circulation, filtration is much more sophisticated for the un-potty trained pools. In fact, IMHO, they are probably safer than the adult pools.

As for me, I don't ask the question why should I follow the rules when no one else is. Instead I say, I know that those rules are in place because it is a public health hazard and why, knowing what I know, would I risk my child's health.

Stick to your inflatable pool it will bring you peace of mind! :) If you see people not obeying the rules, that would be the precise time to remove your child.

My answer is: Because two wrongs don't make it right. I would tell my child that they aren't suppose to be in the pool. I gotta say though I have never seen a child in the pools w/ just swim diapers on. I think that would be a big red flag to a pool attendant.

I guess if this does happen and you want to bring it to an employee's attention, you could "innocently" ask an attendent if you can take dd in the pool since you see other children w/ swim diapers on in the pool.

This was never an issue with us when our dd was that small. We knew she wasn't able to go in the pool so either myself or hubby would be elsewhere on the ship doing something else with her. Bringing the pool should be a great treat for!!!

ok so heres my ?? i know unpotty trained kids are not allowed in the pools .i understand why completely. my ? is if other kids are in the pool with swimmy diapers on why should i tell my dd she can"t go in if they are not enforceing it ??

If other people are robbing a bank and the police are not there, why shouldn't you also rob the bank?

Personally, I wouldn't want my child in a pool where swim diapers are present...it's just too 'icky"....little children are more apt to actually get that nasty "toilet water" in their mouths and swallow it....that could lead to some major intestinal upsets!

Aside from the 'right or wrong' of it...it's just not healthy!

i new someone would come up with this kind of stupid reply

That's pretty rude. You asked for opinions and you got them.

Keep your unpotty trained child out of the pool. There will be lots of times in life when she can't do what she wants. This is just one of those many times. Just say NO.

sorry was not trying to be rude but putting a kid in a pool in no way compares to robbing a bank . again i apoligize:rolleyes:

I think you missed the point. Just because one person is doing something that is wrong, doesn't mean you should do it, knowing it's wrong.

Personally, I don't care if my dd did see someone in the pool that shouldn't be...no means no...case closed.

This is challenging, but I have found myself having to deal with it a lot on a cruise - not just with the pools. "Why can't I be out of my chair in the dining room"; "why can't I run around the people dancing on the dance floor or through the lounge - other kids are doing it". My answer is, "because those poor kids don't have mommies who care about making them have manners or follow rules, but you do". Then I make a big deal about how proud I am of them for having fantastic behavior even though it's difficult sometimes.

I'm sure this will continue with me throughout their childhood, so I have no problem starting now teaching them that there are going to be lots of times my children don't get to do what other kids are doing.

Have a great trip!

Best,

Mia

What ship will you be going on? I just got off RCCL Freedom at beg. of October and they definitely enforced the swim diaper rule. There was an attendant standing by and told several parents that their kids were not allowed in the pools. Maybe some lines enforce it more than others? This was my first cruise experience with a little one.

I think you missed the point. Just because one person is doing something that is wrong, doesn't mean you should do it, knowing it's wrong.

Personally, I don't care if my dd did see someone in the pool that shouldn't be...no means no...case closed.

Well, I am glad to see at least one person understood the post.

When my sister brought up this concern to her Carnival PVP for our cruise back in Jan 09 the PVP told her "don't worry the rule is not enforced, just try not to take him in around the time he would normally have a BM to be safe" She was right, on board it was not enforced.

Please don't flame me for this, I am simply stating what she was told by the PVP and the fact that the rule was not enforced on board. I DO NOT want to get into a discussion about whether it is right or wrong to take diapered children in the pool, that horse has been beaten to death!

Personally, I wouldn't want my child in a pool where swim diapers are present...it's just too 'icky"....little children are more apt to actually get that nasty "toilet water" in their mouths and swallow it....that could lead to some major intestinal upsets!

Aside from the 'right or wrong' of it...it's just not healthy!

You have a great answer. The question was asked and you answered. As a parent, I'm sure we've all broken our own rules time to time. If you haven't kudos to you.

Letting your child swim with other peoples children and their BM's is dangerous to your kids and potentially alot of other passengers. My son is almost 3 and he can swim on his own. He loves to swim. He has been on 7 cruises and has been in the pool 0 times on a cruise. We can take him to the beach. Even though he swims at least a couple times a week, he has never had a BM in the pool. I'm pretty sure that is just something that he knows not to do. However, I'm not willing to take that chance on a cruise. He is not totally potty trained, but even if he was, I would not let him swim with diapered children on a cruise. He does swim with other diapered children at home, in resorts and at the beach. However, it is a totally different situation. (For starters, there are stronger chemicals, and there are hospitals and Dr.'s in a short distance.) People need to repect that diapered children don't need to be in the pool on a cruise.

P.S. - We have never been on RCCL with him. They have different chemicals in that water. Just follow the rules and don't complain about what your kid isn't allowed to do. Be thankful for what they can do.

Archived