First Cruise, Explorer of the Seas, some questions!

aruvqan

I just made the reservations for Explorer of the Seas, Feb 5th Eastern Caribbean. Our first cruise, and really our first real non-stay at home or do something for people vacation [and a 19 years belated honeymoon!]

OK, We are inveterate coffee drinkers, is the room service coffee any good? We are thinking of our main sea day recreation being swilling coffee and reading on the balcony once we hit more warm waters.

I am in a wheelchair, anybody have any information on what the main dining room will be like for me? We figure on one night at Portofinos as well ...

Anybody have pictures of balcony stateroom [e2] 6300? I understand it is a smidge larger than the normal ones to allow chair access.

Anybody else going to be on that cruise also?

We took a cruise on the explorer last June...amazing ship. Definately can get into the MDR no problem with a wheelchair, as well as portofino...O and DEFINATELY book portofino!! That has to have been the best meal I have EVER had!! And the best service.

Im jealous!! We'll be sailing on her again next october. Have a great cruise, drink up as much coffee as you want, and enjoy every last minute of your journey!

Answering my own question, it is an hc cabin.

Wide doorway, wider cabin to spin the old chair around. No sills in the shower or bathroom, assist bars and folding chair in the shower area and toilet area. Pull bar in the closet to lower the top rail. Panic call buttons scattered around the cabins.

Make sure the stateroom attendant leaves extra bathroom towels since there are no sills around the shower and the floor grills can't keep up with the water. You build a towel barrier like a dike when showering.

If you follow the link below to my webshots account and then look at the Explorer Holiday cruise in Dec 2008, I have several photos showing a hc inside cabin.

BTW, a hc cabin is larger then a regular cabin, almost as large as a jr suite, 250 vs 280 for a JS

I just made the reservations for Explorer of the Seas, Feb 5th Eastern Caribbean. Our first cruise, and really our first real non-stay at home or do something for people vacation [and a 19 years belated honeymoon!]

OK, We are inveterate coffee drinkers, is the room service coffee any good? We are thinking of our main sea day recreation being swilling coffee and reading on the balcony once we hit more warm waters.

I am in a wheelchair, anybody have any information on what the main dining room will be like for me? We figure on one night at Portofinos as well ...

Anybody have pictures of balcony stateroom [e2] 6300? I understand it is a smidge larger than the normal ones to allow chair access.

It's about the size of as Jr Suite. Much larger than a regular E2.

I thought room service coffee was fine....I did NOT like the WJ coffee....strong and bitter. The coffee in the dining room has always been better than in the buffet, too.

Your HC cabin will be more than comfortable for someone in a wheelchair...lots of "turning" space and all the accessible things you may need.

We were in a handicapped cabin last year and we will be in another one on 2/14/10. What sized table did you request in the MDR? I always call RCL and ask for a table closer to the door because it is easier to access. However, we like to sit at a large table with lots of folks. I always check our table assignment as soon as we board and change it if the location doesn't suit.

You certainly will enjoy your balcony, but be sure to explore the ship. The Cafe Promenade has coffee 7x24. You can also purchase specialty coffee around the ship. If you are really coffee addicts, you should consider bringing your own mugs. For a change of scenery there are areas in the solarium where you can sit in front of a wall of glass and watch the ocean. Deck 14 has 2 card rooms with a nice view. From there you can scoot outside and watch the rock climbers or into Dizzy's bar for another great view. And be sure to get tickets to the ice show(s). For handicapped seating you MUST be in line no later than a 1/2 hour before the show (i.e. before 2:30 for a 3 pm show).

You will love the ship,and get around just fine.As for the coffee well we up here in Canada are addicted to Tim Hortons {timmys}Our group of 30 last year called the coffee gut rot and it will stain your teeth.A backup plan might be a good idea if you really like your coffe.We are taking our own this time.Enjoy your cruise you are going to love it.

Hi there!!! Welcome to the Explorer of the Seas. There is an entire thread on everything explorer of the seas that has fantastic people on it and we answer all the questions we can. Great coffee down on deck 5 in the cafe. I enjoy the coffee and great selection of hot teas also. (and great cookies to have also)

You will be fine in the main dining room. You may want to check out your dining room location when you board and if you are not comfortable with the location ask to be changed. They are very good about taking care of the guests needs.

You will love Portofinos!!!! Asked to be seated at Jody's table....excellent service!!!

So we are on there with you also! Our daughter and her boyfriend will be with us also. She enjoyed the explorer for her first cruise this past January.

Go check out the roll call and also the thread. Hope someone has a cabin picture for you.

See you soon!

Answering my own question, it is an hc cabin.

Wide doorway, wider cabin to spin the old chair around. No sills in the shower or bathroom, assist bars and folding chair in the shower area and toilet area. Pull bar in the closet to lower the top rail. Panic call buttons scattered around the cabins.

Make sure the stateroom attendant leaves extra bathroom towels since there are no sills around the shower and the floor grills can't keep up with the water. You build a towel barrier like a dike when showering.

If you follow the link below to my webshots account and then look at the Explorer Holiday cruise in Dec 2008, I have several photos showing a hc inside cabin.

BTW, a hc cabin is larger then a regular cabin, almost as large as a jr suite, 250 vs 280 for a JS

Nice pictures ... and I will definitely get the extra towels, though i am now actually thinking of packing some of those tubes you can put around your leaky water heater as dams. Now I need to find a good cheap digital camera ... I think I will steal my brothers :D

Here is the link to the "meet and mingle" for your cruise. It is a good place to meet others that are on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=964251

I will be going on the Explorer of the Seas on March 28th, for my very first cruise. It is the 13 night southern Caribbean cruise.

Just signed us up for it =)

We were in a handicapped cabin last year and we will be in another one on 2/14/10. What sized table did you request in the MDR? I always call RCL and ask for a table closer to the door because it is easier to access. However, we like to sit at a large table with lots of folks. I always check our table assignment as soon as we board and change it if the location doesn't suit.

You certainly will enjoy your balcony, but be sure to explore the ship. The Cafe Promenade has coffee 7x24. You can also purchase specialty coffee around the ship. If you are really coffee addicts, you should consider bringing your own mugs. For a change of scenery there are areas in the solarium where you can sit in front of a wall of glass and watch the ocean. Deck 14 has 2 card rooms with a nice view. From there you can scoot outside and watch the rock climbers or into Dizzy's bar for another great view. And be sure to get tickets to the ice show(s). For handicapped seating you MUST be in line no later than a 1/2 hour before the show (i.e. before 2:30 for a 3 pm show).

Good suggestions! we have spiffy travel cups from http://www.tervis.com/Products/CLEAR/Clear_Tumblers_CLR-TUMBLERS.aspx in the 17 oz mug and 24 oz tumblers, with the lids. Planning on bringing both sorts :D

Not really into specialty coffee, just basic cafe americain ... Rob was in the Navy for 20 years so we both like it fairly strong, mid rat style ;)

I am looking forward to finding out what shows are going on!

You will love the ship,and get around just fine.As for the coffee well we up here in Canada are addicted to Tim Hortons {timmys}Our group of 30 last year called the coffee gut rot and it will stain your teeth.A backup plan might be a good idea if you really like your coffe.We are taking our own this time.Enjoy your cruise you are going to love it.

Ill take a double double and a maple glazed :D

Hi there!!! Welcome to the Explorer of the Seas. There is an entire thread on everything explorer of the seas that has fantastic people on it and we answer all the questions we can. Great coffee down on deck 5 in the cafe. I enjoy the coffee and great selection of hot teas also. (and great cookies to have also)

You will be fine in the main dining room. You may want to check out your dining room location when you board and if you are not comfortable with the location ask to be changed. They are very good about taking care of the guests needs.

You will love Portofinos!!!! Asked to be seated at Jody's table....excellent service!!!

So we are on there with you also! Our daughter and her boyfriend will be with us also. She enjoyed the explorer for her first cruise this past January.

Go check out the roll call and also the thread. Hope someone has a cabin picture for you.

See you soon!

Thanks!

We are really looking forward to it so much ... never really been on a real vacation that didnt involve cleaning out the garage somewhere :D so this will be a real change!

Not to put a damper on your trip but beware there can be some rude people when it comes to elevators and someone in a wheelchair. You do find a lot of nice, helpful people too though. We found that if the AB person got to the elevator first and held the door for the WC you could make it. If you have to rely on someone pushing the WC just give a holler for them to hold the elevator. The door doesn't stay open very long and until we got the hang of it there were lots of missed elevators and it was very frustrating at first.

We checked our dining room table and they had put us at a table right as you enter. We didn't like that area as it seemed too high traffic for us so asked if they could put us somewhere else. No problem, we got a great table in the middle of the DR.

I think coffee is hard to say whether you will like it or not. Everyones taste is so different. We loved the coffee at the Cafe' Promenade and from room service.

Have a wonderful first cruise and hopefully more to come.:D

Not to put a damper on your trip but beware there can be some rude people when it comes to elevators and someone in a wheelchair. You do find a lot of nice, helpful people too though. We found that if the AB person got to the elevator first and held the door for the WC you could make it. If you have to rely on someone pushing the WC just give a holler for them to hold the elevator. The door doesn't stay open very long and until we got the hang of it there were lots of missed elevators and it was very frustrating at first.

We checked our dining room table and they had put us at a table right as you enter. We didn't like that area as it seemed too high traffic for us so asked if they could put us somewhere else. No problem, we got a great table in the middle of the DR.

I think coffee is hard to say whether you will like it or not. Everyones taste is so different. We loved the coffee at the Cafe' Promenade and from room service.

Have a wonderful first cruise and hopefully more to come.:D

My husband tends to push my chair for me, I don't tend to wander around without him very much. I prefer being by the door actually ... wending my way into a dining room sort of bothers me, I like to be able to leave fast :)

As long as the coffee isnt burned tasting like starbucks, or weak as dishwater we should be fine ... and also not instant ... that stuff isnt really coffee .... it never tastes correct no matter how you try to rehydrate it!:(

Archived