Coach store on board! Who's next Gucci??

airlink diva

I'm fairly new to cruising but mom used to buy really great high end items much cheaper (I guess duty free) so when we started cruising regularly in 2001 I was looking forward to some nice finds and have been really disappointed for the most part.

As for Coach - I used to love Coach when they had really nice leather goods (25-30 years ago), but it seems kind of junkie now and they have huge Coach outlet stores everywhere so it's not that special anymore.

I would love to see higher end items

I would pay slightly more for something that's not available nowhere else. I have a Gucci purse that a close family friend got me in 1984. This person was living in Italy at the time and to this date, I've only a few people with my purse.

I'm fairly new to cruising but mom used to buy really great high end items much cheaper (I guess duty free) so when we started cruising regularly in 2001 I was looking forward to some nice finds and have been really disappointed for the most part.

As for Coach - I used to love Coach when they had really nice leather goods (25-30 years ago), but it seems kind of junkie now and they have huge Coach outlet stores everywhere so it's not that special anymore.

I would love to see higher end items

I'd love to see shops with more unusual, high end items, than run of the mill Coach or anything else like that. I totally agree with you...there are Coach outlets everywhere...it's not that special any longer. With the birth of outlet malls with all "high end" stores, this stuff is a dime a dozen now.

I have to say, the shops on Princess are a lot nicer than on HAL. I absolutely prefer HAL, but that's the one area where Princess is wayyyyyyy ahead of HAL. When we cruised Princess, I bought perfume for my daughters and for me on the ship...they had a fabulous selection and I thought the prices were fair. They also had nice clothing stores...one casual, one dressy. Then a shop that had the Princess logo items...a very nice selection. Each shop was separate...not crammed together as on the Noordam.

One thing I really cherish that my mom got me was a Llardo Fox Terrier dog figurine. She got it one some junkie cruiseline that is now defunct (the name escapes me now), but had nice shopping.

I've never seen this dog figure anywhere and just love it and love that my mom got it for me more.

I fear that if retail outlets begin opening stores on cruise ships, Diamonds International will become interested. Then there will be very little need for port calls at all! :eek::(;)

Well we are talking about Oasis...isn't that why it was built in the first place? Who needs ports? ;)

As for the Coach store I think it is a great idea if the prices are truly Duty Free :rolleyes: I have been in the Duty Free shops in some of the airports and the prices for items were actually higher than I can buy at a local department store.

As for the magnate Tom would be mad if I bought one :D

Coach is an American company so Americans shouldn't be paying duty any way! Used to be all Coach bags were made in America.

The person who said that Oasis is so big there is no need to leave the ship is correct. That is the goal of RCI. Keep all the spending on the ship. With airline checked baggage charges so high, I can't see too many people buying much. But I'm likely wrong.

I enjoy shopping the Coach Outlet store in San Juan. We were there just before Christmas 2008 and they had some really nice bags at decent prices...no sales tax and don't have to be declared on Custom's Declaration.

Not too many years ago (think it was 5) on Mariner of the Seas, DH bought me a Fendi bag. Not a knock-off, a real one with a real dustcover bag etc. I used to love the stores onboard ships but now they're pretty much all the same. What's up with the Jackie Kennedy knock-off jewelry or those clown figurines??!! We bought a beautiful double dove Lladro in 2001 on Sovereign of the Seas......

Lynda.....I love to shop onboard, on land but am now addicted to on-line shopping!!

Archived