Upgrades for Solos?

TessM

I'm curious if you have (or know anyone who has) received an upgrade when cruising solo. And if so, what category did you start with and what did you end with?

Category AC to AB isn't all that impressive (although still nice I guess). But going from an inside room to obstructed or outside to balcony would be great but I'm wondering if it happens much or at all for solos.

I'm curious if you have (or know anyone who has) received an upgrade when cruising solo. And if so, what category did you start with and what did you end with?

Category AC to AB isn't all that impressive (although still nice I guess). But going from an inside room to obstructed or outside to balcony would be great but I'm wondering if it happens much or at all for solos.

Good morning, I sail with Celebrity and their upgrade is for Capt's

Club Members and so it doesn't matter if you are solo or not.

No, they don't offer "Special solo upgrades".

As for the upgrade, it is 1 category only.....inside to inside or

window to window, not a jump from an inside to a window.

On Holland America, I've received a couple of upgrades when I booked a guarantee cabin. I don't think it mattered one way or another that I was sailing. The best upgrade I got was an inside cabin to the highest category of outside.

Roz

I have a great 1A on my next cruise, one with the big windows. My TA has been offered a couple of "upgrades" to an inside cabin. Once they notified her by fax I had been upgraded and she had to call to tell them it was not acceptable. My reservation has been marked no upgrades since day one.

As a solo, I have been upgraded twice on Holland America when I booked an outside guarantee. Initially, I was assigned an outside cabin and a few days before departure I was reassigned a balcony. The same process happend each time and it was on the same ship, the Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera in 2008. I always thought that it was because I have over 100 days sailed with them, but, was never totally sure.

I have had quite a few upgrades but always within the type viz inside to inside.

In Nov on QM2 I purchased a D8 Gty, and have been allocated a D2 on Deck 12. Do not think there is much difference in the size, or the equipment Both are classed as standard, but there is a differnce in the fare.

I've had upgrades within the room type with every guarantee booking. On my upcoming cruise Princess moved me from BG guarantee to BA. For Panama Canal, Princess upgraded me from interior to high, center balcony for a $25 change fee, but I had to fight for that upgrade. The ship wasn't fully booked several weeks before sailing, and my cousin was able to get a balcony for not much more than I had paid for an interior. So I got (politely) pushy and on my second call they agreed to the upgrade.

I had a balcony GTY on the cruise I just finished with HAL. Originally I was in a forward balcony with metal below railing and was upgraded to a plexiglas aft balcony. :D

Linda Bell

I think it varies based upon how full the ship is. When I cruise solo I normally book "pot luck" cabins and hope for an upgrade. I've found that the lines prefer for passangers to have a wonderful time and will try not to place a passanger into a "bad" room even if that is what he/she paid for...unless the ship is sold out...but that is just a hunch and someone may be sleeping in bunk beds...but then again I don't plan on being in the cabin but long enough to shower, change and sleep...I don't even hope more than an upgrade to an inside cabin in less than prime location.

I think it varies based upon how full the ship is. When I cruise solo I normally book "pot luck" cabins and hope for an upgrade. I've found that the lines prefer for passangers to have a wonderful time and will try not to place a passanger into a "bad" room even if that is what he/she paid for...unless the ship is sold out...but that is just a hunch and someone may be sleeping in bunk beds...but then again I don't plan on being in the cabin but long enough to shower, change and sleep...I don't even hope more than an upgrade to an inside cabin in less than prime location.

Bunkbeds would be fine with me right now! Nothing is planned for the near future and I am already "itchiing".

Archived