Which cruise would you pick?

Hoping some seasoned cruisers can help… want to plan a nice vacation for end of January/beginning of February. Thinking a cruise – never been on one before! I’ve been doing a ton of research, including reading these boards. I’ve narrowed down to a few RCI options and would like some input. These options fit my needs of new(er), large(er) ship; sailing for a full week from Florida (airfare/hotel not a factor); and having an outside room within my budget. My goals with this trip are to be WARM (get out of the New England winter for a bit); relax; see new places; have fun. My boyfriend and I are ages 28 & 29.

Option 1: Jan. 31 – Feb. 7; seven-night Western Caribbean on Liberty OTS from Miami; visiting Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico

Option 2: Jan. 24 – Jan. 31; seven-night Western Caribbean on Liberty OTS from Miami; visiting Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

Option 3: Jan. 31 – Feb. 7; seven-night Eastern Caribbean on Freedom OTS from Port Canaveral; visiting Cococay, Bahamas; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten

What would you choose and why? What would you do in the different ports-of-call? Thank you for any and all help!!

Option 1 or 3 would be the two top picks. Then I would look at airfare and ease of transportation. I know the airfare to Orlando is always the cheapest and we can get a direct flight so we often pick out of that port. If this is not an issue and are only looking at the ship and the ports: I love option 1 for the fun stuff to do on all the port stops. Dunns River Falls and river tubing in Jamaica are great. In Cozumel ( depends on how long you are there for, there is always fun stuff to do and wonderful beaches). Then you get Labadee which is great, and then Grand Cayman which is nice too. If you are adventurous there is sting ray city ...and you can go with many private tour operators and have a nice experience. There is also a jet ski excursion that takes you to the sand bar area for the sting ray and many other stops plus the jetski experience. If you are not as adventurous, Grand Cayman is a easy walk to a nice snorkel spot. Within 10 min of the port you get Eden Rock or Paradise Point. You will see the Bar and restaurant and the chaise lounges and some sand. You walk down the rocks and climb down a ladder and into the water for some nice snorkeling right there. There is also a free water trampoline within swimming range. Also, close to town to peek in some stores.

I also like St Maarten. LOts of nice beaches and fun excursions there too. But I personally do not like St Thomas. Very expensive to hire a cab driver.

Good luck.

Number #3 for all of the reasons stated above...They know what their talking about...Port Canaveral,St. Maarten.St Thomas etc.Can't go wrong in the Eastern Caribbean on a Freedom class ship..the only thing that would have really made this unbeatable would have been the 8 night on INDY.....Jump on itinery #3 and get on board...:cool:

We've book option #2 for our next cruise and are really looking forward to it. We've been trying to get back to Costa Maya for years and it keeps getting cancelled due to hurricane damage or current weather/sea conditions. (Also had Ocho Rios - in option #1 - cancelled on numerous occassions.) Keep your fingers crossed for us. We'd really like to be able to dock this time.

However, since it is your first cruise, I would recommend #3. We've never been to Cococay but would love to go some day. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are 2 beautiful ports with lots of options.

I think the ports are much better. Can you make it a longer vacation? Orlando has so much to do, it would be great if you could add a couple of extra days on either end.

Add at least an extra day, stay overnight in Cocoa Beach, and take the Kennedy Space Center tour. That's what I'd do.

Hoping some seasoned cruisers can help… want to plan a nice vacation for end of January/beginning of February. Thinking a cruise – never been on one before! I’ve been doing a ton of research, including reading these boards. I’ve narrowed down to a few RCI options and would like some input. These options fit my needs of new(er), large(er) ship; sailing for a full week from Florida (airfare/hotel not a factor); and having an outside room within my budget. My goals with this trip are to be WARM (get out of the New England winter for a bit); relax; see new places; have fun. My boyfriend and I are ages 28 & 29.

Option 1: Jan. 31 – Feb. 7; seven-night Western Caribbean on Liberty OTS from Miami; visiting Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico

Option 2: Jan. 24 – Jan. 31; seven-night Western Caribbean on Liberty OTS from Miami; visiting Costa Maya, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico

Option 3: Jan. 31 – Feb. 7; seven-night Eastern Caribbean on Freedom OTS from Port Canaveral; visiting Cococay, Bahamas; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten

What would you choose and why? What would you do in the different ports-of-call? Thank you for any and all help!!

I would pick option one. I've been on that itinerary twice with Royal Caribbean.

The problem with option two is that Belize requires a very long tender. Tendering off a ship as big as the Liberty of the Seas is bad enough without making it a very long ride.

The problem with option three is that St. Thomas is a US territory. Since you visit a foreign country before arriving at St. Thomas you have to go through customs again, which ends up being a huge waste of time.

I would pick option one. I've been on that itinerary twice with Royal Caribbean.

The problem with option two is that Belize requires a very long tender. Tendering off a ship as big as the Liberty of the Seas is bad enough without making it a very long ride.

The problem with option three is that St. Thomas is a US territory. Since you visit a foreign country before arriving at St. Thomas you have to go through customs again, which ends up being a huge waste of time.

Your problem with option #3 makes no sense...go through customs again....WHAT....are you talking about :confused::confused:

#3 .... per below!

I would choose #3.

Port Canaveral is super easy.

I like Cocoacay better than Labadee (not so hectic, easier to relax).

St Thomas and St Martin are nice places to stop, little more upscale than Western Caribbean ports.

Your problem with option #3 makes no sense...go through customs again....WHAT....are you talking about :confused::confused:

Not exactly AGAIN, but everybody has to line up on the ship and go through a check even if you are not getting off the ship. They usually start at 8 once the agents get onboard from STT. It's usually a 20-30 minute process but a lot of people get in line around 7. If you have an early excursion they usually let you in a separate line so either ask or make you way forward. It is very unorganized. There is the same itinerary but with Coco Cay at the end but I'm not sure which ship or where it leaves from.

Option 4: If airfare and hotel are not a factor, fly to San Juan and do the Southern cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. Plenty of great beaches on these islands. Stay the extra day and enjoy San Juan.

I've been putting off getting airfare to SJ so I was willing to change my cruise to fly into Miami and save some $$. To my surprise MIA was even more expensive!:eek:

Every time you enter the United States or one of its territories from a foreign country you have to go though customs. Since the ship visits a foreign country before going to St. Thomas, which is a foreign country, the passengers have to go through customs. When I was on the Carnival Glory that process took three hours.

When I went to St. Thomas from San Juan, since both a US territories, there was no need to go through customs again.

Option 1 for me... swim with the dolphins in Cozumel, the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica... never been to Labadee, but love private Islands!

Whatever you choose, you will have a wonderful cruise... none of them are bad choices! :p

A~

I would choose option #1. Labadee is a relaxing beach day. Ochos Rios, everyone seems to like Dunns River Falls. Grand Cayman, you have to swim with the sting rays; book something privately. Buy rum cake on your way back to the ship. Cozumel, we like Paradise Beach. Friendly service and good food and drinks. You may like something quieter though (we have teens).

Archived