HELP!!!! Which camera?

cruiselvr1

Hi there...:) I have a problem that I hope all of you camera saavy people can help me with.My DH and I are looking for a smaller camera to be able to carry around with us on our cruises.We currently have a Kodak Z740. I have narrowed it down to the Canon A480 or the Canon A1100. Im sorry to admit that I dont know much about cameras and dont know which one of these would be better.I have read soooo many reviews on cameras that it it making my head spin.:eek: They are so all over the place....none are consistent.

Thank You

Hi there...:) I have a problem that I hope all of you camera saavy people can help me with.My DH and I are looking for a smaller camera to be able to carry around with us on our cruises.We currently have a Kodak Z740. I have narrowed it down to the Canon A480 or the Canon A1100. Im sorry to admit that I dont know much about cameras and dont know which one of these would be better.I have read soooo many reviews on cameras that it it making my head spin.:eek: They are so all over the place....none are consistent.

Thank You

There are so many choices and by design the marketing teams of the companies try and slot their cameras and unique features in a way to put them in best light.

Here is a recent review of entry level cameras; http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/

With Canon cameras you really can't go wrong with image quality. They are usually best or leaders most often then not. The difference between the many models are slight. Best to go to your local store and play with them and see which one feels best in your hands and which features you think you'll use. If you are a serious researcher, spend extra time zooming, noticing the delay between focus and shots and practice changing button settings to see which you like best.

Happy shopping

Steves-digicams.com rates both cameras as one of the best in their separate category. You won't be disappointed with either camera. You just have to determine what features are most important to you and that includes price.

It is very important that you actually handle both of the cameras. As nice as a camera looks in photos, if it isn't comfortable in your hands, it isn't a good choice for you. Once you determine which camera to get, shop online for a better price. DO NOT shop by price alone as there are online camera stores you want to avoid. Their prices are often "too good to be true" and of course they are. Stick with well known stores and if in doubt check http://www.resellerratings.com

Just a personal preference, but on the a480, the zoom is on the back of the camera, on the 1100 it is wrapped around the shutter button. I can one hand operate the 1100 because of the wrapped zoom. With the a480, i would need both hands to zoom and then click the shutter (while keeping the camera steady).

Also, I don't think the a480 has image stabilization and the 1100is does. They both have a short zoom, so it isn't a huge factor, but the stabilization will help on the 1100is in low light conditions and if you have a real problem holding a camera steady. (I would consider a lot of the inside of a ship to be a low light area.)

Canon Point and Shoots are excellent cameras and I am sure they both take good pictures. Good luck and enjoy your cruising.

• 1 month later...
The best one is compact Canon PowerShot SD600. You will love it as it is easy to carry, fits in pocket and takes great pictures.

The SD600 was released back in 2006 and discontinued in 2007. A new one will be very hard for the OP to find.

An alternative SD model would indeed be a good choice. I carry an SD800IS and will probably update it with another SD model later this year.

Dave

I think image stabilization is a must nowadays. I'd rule out any P&S that doesn't have it simply because there are so many that do. The difference in keeper shots vs throwaways is tremendous.

I just bought this Panasonic Lumix camera for my wife after much research. It was the right choice for her needs. We had been exclusively Canon for P&S prior to that.

Something else I do when shopping for a new camera is take a compatible memory card in with me when I try out the cameras (for example, at Best Buy). I let the clerk know that I brought one with me before putting it in. That way I can take several pictures with each camera and then go home and look at them full size.

Can anyone tell me if the Cannon SD1200 IS Digital Elph is a good camera?

I don't know about that one, Carol, but I love my Canon PowerShot SD770 IS Digital Elph that I bought in St. Thomas last winter. I don't think I saved any money...but it was a necessity....my older version of the same corner - the battery/charger door failed to stay shut (tape would work). I gave it to the Room Steward and he was thrilled!

I HIGHLY recommend the Elph!!!

Something else I do when shopping for a new camera is take a compatible memory card in with me when I try out the cameras (for example, at Best Buy). I let the clerk know that I brought one with me before putting it in. That way I can take several pictures with each camera and then go home and look at them full size.

That is a brilliant idea!

I think that any Canon is a good choice ( I am biased toward Canon :D). I really like the image stabilization as well as an OPTICAL view finder. Call me old school but sometimes an LCD screen is hard to compose a picture on... but this is coming from a (D)SLR guy who like viewfinders :)

• 3 weeks later...

The best hint I think is to go to a camera store and hold them and see what feels comfortable to you. Of course along with all the other features. One more thing is think about getting one that is shock proof and waterproof so that you can get it wet if you want or if it gets splashed it won't matter. or if it falls off the counter it won't break.

I too like a camera with a viewfinder. In bright sunlight the screen just doesn't do it for me.

I love my Canon 720IS. It's my second Canon P & S.

The only 'problem' I had was taking video on a windy day and the sound of the wind drowning out my little speech. I solved that problem by cutting the sticky part off a band aide and sticking the small piece to my camera, over the microphone. Almost eliminates the wind noise but doesn't affect the speech.

Then I only have to deal with the 'why do you have a band aide on you camera' questions LOL

Archived