how much can I expect to accomplish on arrival day in Rome?

cbowler

Hi everyone - I'm starting to try and plan out our pre-cruise stay in Rome. So I'm wondering just how much I can realistically plan to accomplish on our arrival day in Rome? I think we'll probably take a flight that gets in around 8 or 9am. So how much time for luggage, customs, transfers??? Is it reasonable to try and think we could do the Cololsseum, Forum, Pantheon, Capitol Hill that afternoon?

Also, I'm not sure how to figure the jet lag into things. Is it better to just stay up when you get there (assuming I can sleep on the overnight flight) and try and go to bed that night or is it better to take a quick nap upon arrival??? I don't have much experience with the jet lag thing. Thanks for the help!

It's hard to predict exactly how you'll feel. Some people have a hard time sleeping on a flight and arrive exhausted. For them, a quick nap (not longer than an hour or two at most) might give them energy to see them through the day. Others (myself included) manage to sleep a little on the flight and are usually excited enough on arrival to stay up and "hit the ground running" as it were. I find that I'd rather not nap; I stay up as late as I can (still usually calling it a day around 9:00 or 9:30 that first night) and that helps me adjust to the new time zone.

Since you really aren't sure how you'll feel, I'd plan a few things (maybe just the Colosseum and Forum) as definite "to do" sights on your first day, but have a few other things in mind just in case you do feel ready to keep going. The Pantheon makes a nice stop at the end of the day (I believe it closes at 7pm), with many nice restaurants in the vicinity for dinner shortly thereafter.

This is so frustrating! I wrote a long response that disappeared into cyberspace - the CC web site has been so dysfunctional lately.

Let me give this another shot. In eight years of flying to Rome at least once, but often twice a year, I can't remember a time it took more than an hour from exiting the plane to exiting the airport. Even the first time, when there was a long backup at passport control, I was still out in an hour. Luggage comes up pretty fast and I've never once been stopped by customs.

So let's say that puts you on the sidewalk at the airport by either 9 or 10 AM, depending on your arrival time. You have a choice to make about how to get into town. My advice is to take a taxi. Although the train is less expensive, I think it's a false economy for two reasons. First, you're going to be tired even if you did get some sleep on the flight (you've lost six hours from the east coast of North America) and therefore not at your sharpest to be figuring out transit, dealing with luggage, etc. in a new place. Second, it takes more time and on a short trip like this, you really want to maximize your time.

If you take the taxi, that puts you at your hotel by 10 or 11. While you'll probably be able to fill out the check-in paperwork and certainly be able to drop off your luggage, odds are you won't be able to check into your room. The good news about that is that it takes one decision off your shoulders - no nap yet!

If it's closer to 10, I might head over to the Colosseum and Forum. The Colosseum requires about 90 minutes to see it fairly fully; the Forum another 60 - 90 minutes. After this, around 1 PM or so, I'd sit down and have a relaxing lunch, then head back to the hotel for a shower and nap.

Be sure to set an alarm or leave a wake-up call so you don't accidentally sleep through, or you'll be wide awake with nothing to do at midnight. Get out again, have either dinner or at least a snack (gelato comes to mind) and go for a stroll before bedding down for the night.

Also, be sure to drink as much water as you can both on the flight and during your first day. It really will help overcome jet lag.

What you can do depends on how fast you can run and how little sleep you need!! :D

We arrived in Rome early in the morning, not tooooo jet lagged. We had a private driver meet us at the airport for a reasonable price so we did not have to hassle taxis or trains. We booked a hotel near the Termini Station so we could walk right over to the HOHO bus. If you plan to stay on the bus all day,it will take you past the Colusseum and Forum, St. Peter's, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and all the major attractions. You can spend as much or as little time as you like at each one. Obviously, if you spend two hours at the Colusseum you can't plan to spend two hours at each of the other places. One plan is simply to pick two spots and do them the first round on the bus. Then you will pass the others and if time permits do a second round on the bus (your ticket is for 24 hours) to get to the ones you skipped.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Where to stay in Rome is an often debated topic. I've stayed in the Termini area when I've got an early train the next morning, but other than that, I find it inconvenient. I'd much rather stay in the midst of things (Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Largo Argentina) or where there's more character, like Trastevere.

I'm also not a fan of the HOHO bus, especially if you're a little tired - feels llike an invitation to take an expensive nap and not see much at all. Rome is small and very walkable, so why waste money and time driving around the outskirts of what you want to see? On your feet is the best way to see the city, IMHO. If you need to get somewhere fast, the public buses are plentiful and much cheaper.

Hi everyone - I'm starting to try and plan out our pre-cruise stay in Rome. So I'm wondering just how much I can realistically plan to accomplish on our arrival day in Rome? I think we'll probably take a flight that gets in around 8 or 9am. So how much time for luggage, customs, transfers??? Is it reasonable to try and think we could do the Cololsseum, Forum, Pantheon, Capitol Hill that afternoon?

Also, I'm not sure how to figure the jet lag into things. Is it better to just stay up when you get there (assuming I can sleep on the overnight flight) and try and go to bed that night or is it better to take a quick nap upon arrival??? I don't have much experience with the jet lag thing. Thanks for the help!

We did overnight landing in Venice last year. Flight landed I think 7am out of customes and with luggage by around 8am. Dropped luggage off at hotel around 9:30am, checkin was 1pm.

We did a little sightseeing, had a light lunch and gellato :D:D and then everyone came back to hotel to checkin and rest up. Even with sleeping on the plane ( or at least trying ) all in are party came back. Some napped a long time others breifly. My recommendation is rest up best you can on plane and try to stay up to at least 8pm. A long nap only delays full adjustment to new time zone. Everyone reacts differently and if this is your first time going East YMMV. I think your first day plan is unrealistic. Hopefully you have at least another day and even that second day don't be surprised if by lunch you are wiped out.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses. We do indeed have other days in Rome besides our arrival day. Right now we have arrival day, 1 full day and then the day the cruise leaves. I'm trying to figure out if I need one additional day besides that. I'm not sure my husband can get another day off but it might be a possibility.

We are planning to stay near the Pantheon and will probably do a private driver from the airport to waste less time.

Thanks again!

Get the additional day if at all possible. You may be far too tired to really take in what you are seeing the first day, and your last day is only a half day.

I agree with those who say to stay up as long as possible. We have stayed up to six or seven and then slept for 12 hours and felt much better for it.

You already have many good suggestions. I will add that, if you are arrive tired like most people and don't have the energy for an extended walk, I wouldn't do the Colisseum and Forum in one day. You will buy a ticket that is good for both and is valid for 48 hours. So, if you are REALLY tired and since you're staying in Centro Storico anyhow, I'd stick with the Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, Trevi Fountain, etc. for that first day. If you have a bit more energy after your long flight, try a visit to either (but not both) Colisseum or Forum (saving the other for the following day). Hit a few sites in and around your hotel afterwards (this will allow you to rest as needed). Have fun!

Here's what I did..

Arrived at 08:30

Picked up at FCO by private driver who delivered us direct to our B&B near Vatican. Dropped our bags and jumped on the Metro to the Coleseum...took tour and then walked through the Forum, exiting at the Capotiline. Spent a bit of time there just gazing. Walked to the Pantheon and had a light (late) lunch, then walked to the Trevi Fountain. Walked back to the Metro station (Barbirini I think) and took the M back to our B&B.

By now it was about 6:30. We had spent probably 7 or 8 hours seeing the sights. We showered and changed for dinner, walked about 15 mimutes to Tony and Dinos and had a fabulous dinner. About 9:00 we were toast! Walked back to B&B and crashed. next morning we spent all day at Vatican.

Best way to beat jetlag is walking in sunshine...we did and it was great.

I agree with Terpnut. We love walking around the area from Via Veneto down past Piazza Barberini, to the Trevi fountain and follow the cobbled path to the Pantheon and on to the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona. In my opinion this is the nicest part of Rome and wonderful to walk around whether morning, afternoon (if not hot weather) and especially in the evening. It is safe and pretty and you will pass everything from wonderful little pizzerias near Trevi fountain to intimate sidewalk cafes near the Pantheon to an entire plaza full of touristy but fun outdoor restaurants at Piazza Navona. I would save the Vatican and other serious touring for the following days.

I agree with Terpnut. We love walking around the area from Via Veneto down past Piazza Barberini, to the Trevi fountain and follow the cobbled path to the Pantheon and on to the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona. In my opinion this is the nicest part of Rome and wonderful to walk around whether morning, afternoon (if not hot weather) and especially in the evening. It is safe and pretty and you will pass everything from wonderful little pizzerias near Trevi fountain to intimate sidewalk cafes near the Pantheon to an entire plaza full of touristy but fun outdoor restaurants at Piazza Navona. I would save the Vatican and other serious touring for the following days.

DT...can you describe this walk a little better...looks like a lot of back tracking the way you have described it. Where would you start and end?

DT...can you describe this walk a little better...looks like a lot of back tracking the way you have described it. Where would you start and end?
Yes, the way he described it, there would be some backtracking so either he got something backwards, or they just had plenty of time to stroll around! Piazza Barberini, Fontana di Trevi, Pantheon and Piazza Navona are all roughly in a straight line (from east to west). Depending how much you digress from the straight path, it's less than a 2 km walk from Piazza Barberini, through Fontana di Trevi and the Pantheon, to Piazza Navona. To see Piazza di Spagna, you need to make over a .5 km detour (which is not that far!) from Piazza Barberini. All in all, it's a relatively small walking distance.

I'll also add that, while there isn't much to see at Piazza Barberini itself, I'd definitely make a stop at Santa Maria Concepzione to see the Capuchin crypts nearby on Via Vittoria Veneto! This was probably the highlight of my son's visit in Roma! Unlike all the other sites, the crypt is not open during the evenings (open: 9-noon, 3-6pm and closed Thursdays). :)

Unless you have a burning desire to see the Spanish steps, they could be omitted. Basically just a large set of steps with lots of tourists and kids sitting on them. :eek: Although the via Condotti and other streets nearby are ground zero for designer fashions and are fun for window shopping (or people watching) particularly right before and after Italian dinner time.

Unless you have a burning desire to see the Spanish steps, they could be omitted. Basically just a large set of steps with lots of tourists and kids sitting on them. :eek: Although the via Condotti and other streets nearby are ground zero for designer fashions and are fun for window shopping (or people watching) particularly right before and after Italian dinner time.
I completely agree. The only reason my family and I even saw the Spanish steps this last visit was because we were walking from the Capuchin Crypts on Via Vittorio Veneto toward the Gallerie Borghese and were looking for a taxi. "Hey look, there's a taxi station here in the piazza next to these big steps! Oh, I think it's the Spanish steps. Booooorrring.... " :D

Thanks everyone for your responses. We do indeed have other days in Rome besides our arrival day. Right now we have arrival day, 1 full day and then the day the cruise leaves. I'm trying to figure out if I need one additional day besides that. I'm not sure my husband can get another day off but it might be a possibility.

We are planning to stay near the Pantheon and will probably do a private driver from the airport to waste less time.

Thanks again!

Have the same timeframes as you. Arrive 8:55am day one, have one full day, cruise the following. This thread has been helpful and appreciate the experience and insight of those that responded.

Have researched as much as I can. We're staying at the Aberdeen Hotel near Piazza Republica. I want to try to do the Vatican around 2pm the first day. (not buying advance tickets). We can get the Metro from P.Repub. Arrival day is really the only time we can do the Vatican. Then we're doing a Rome by Night tour that first day from 7-10. That's day one. Hopefully we can manage it and not be dead on our feet.

Second day we have a full day tour booked to see the other major sites - 9am to 5 and no other plans.

Then get an early tranport to the ship.

Have the same timeframes as you. Arrive 8:55am day one, have one full day, cruise the following. This thread has been helpful and appreciate the experience and insight of those that responded.

Have researched as much as I can. We're staying at the Aberdeen Hotel near Piazza Republica. I want to try to do the Vatican around 2pm the first day. (not buying advance tickets). We can get the Metro from P.Repub. Arrival day is really the only time we can do the Vatican. Then we're doing a Rome by Night tour that first day from 7-10. That's day one. Hopefully we can manage it and not be dead on our feet.

Second day we have a full day tour booked to see the other major sites - 9am to 5 and no other plans.

Then get an early tranport to the ship.

Sharon, have a great time on your cruise. I'm wishing I was still going right about now!

We have visited Rome several times...usually for a minimum of three of four days each time-more often for a longer period. It is a wonderful city. I would recommend spending as much time as you can since you need be be there for the cruise. Rushing from one spot to another is fine, as is fitting in an entire day of sightseeing. Planning a trip with a day just to explore, in addition to 'planned' events, on your own or take a few leisuresly stops here and there will, IMHO, really increase your appreciation of Rome. You cannot take it all in in one visit or in one day of a tour. We continue to discover new things every time we go.

• 6 months later...

We are staying near Termini and like you we are arriving from the east coast in the a.m. After we drop our luggage off we would probably go first to the Colosseum. How should we get there from Termini? Metro, bus? Since we want to take the jewish ghetto tour at 1pm as well as see the Pantheon and Trevi fountains. What is the best route? I presume we should walk it? Can you tell me which streets we should take? I guess we can metro back to Termini.

Thanks

We are staying near Termini and like you we are arriving from the east coast in the a.m. After we drop our luggage off we would probably go first to the Colosseum. How should we get there from Termini? Metro, bus? Since we want to take the jewish ghetto tour at 1pm as well as see the Pantheon and Trevi fountains. What is the best route? I presume we should walk it? Can you tell me which streets we should take?

You've got an ambitious itinerary for an arrival day. However, if you have the stamina for it, here's how you could accomplish it.

You could take the metro from Termini, line B toward Laurentina, for two stops (pass Cavour) to the Colosseo stop, then walk across the street and you're there. Alternately, you could take the #75 bus down Via Cavour if you'd rather see the city as you travel. The bus won't take much more time than the metro since it's a relatively short distance. If you feel the need for some exercise after sitting on the plane, you could walk down Via Cavour, which will be mostly downhill the entire way, to where it ends at the Forum. Turn left onto Via dei Fori Imperiali and you'll see the Colosseo in front of you.

After visiting the Colosseum, I'd walk through the Forum (you will have already paid for it with your Colosseum ticket) to the opposite end at Campidoglio. From there it's a short walk across Via del Teatro Marcello to the ghetto.

I recommend adding as many days as possible before and after your cruise to enjoy Rome.

We were on a November Med cruise and had 1 night pre-cruise and 3 nights post-cruise in Rome. We arrived totally exhausted and slept almost the entire first day. It was good that we weren't pressured to do anything that day. The next day we were rested and acclimated to the time change and we boarded our ship.

3 nights post-cruise in Rome wasn't enough. We just returned from 2 weeks in Rome and we loved it! (Throwing coins in Trevi fountain really works!)

I also recommend hiring a service to transport you from the airport to/from the hotel. We use RomeCabs every time. It is so nice after traveling so long to go through baggage claim and see someone holding a sign with our name on it.

Also, with the Iceland volcano, you may end up in Rome later than you planned. Our return flight to the US last week was delayed 6 hours due to the volcano.

From the Pantheon it is a really easy walk to the Vatican.

I landed in the AM as you will and took Romecabs to my hotel

near the Pantheon where I met a friend.

We had booked a 1:30PM time certain entry to the Vatican museums.I checked in and left my bags to be brought to my room (which wasn't ready that early) and we walked to get a light snack and were at the museums early. NO prob to enter before our time. We did the museums,St Peters, walked back to hotel, then unpacked rested and an early 7:30, dinner nearby. It was a great first day!!

Archived