Help! Another Airline Baggage Question?

jaybird from SC

We're trying to figure out "what if":confused:..your carry on will not fit under the seat nor overhead, do they charge regular baggage fees if they store it elsewhere on the plane? For instance...sometimes, by the time you get to your seat, the bin has been taken by someone else. Sometimes, even though the bag is well within size requirements, the carry on wheels won't clear the bin. How do they handle that now days? Thanks....

You know the size is ok since you got it past security. I do board as soon as I can, to find space for my carry-on. The flight attendants will help you look for a spot to store it. It might be well behind you, causing you to wait to deplane at the end. If not, they usually gate check it, and I'm almost positive they do not charge you for that. (Check to see if you can retrieve it as you get off the plane - I think that's how it works. It will be waiting with the wheel chairs, and baby strollers.)

Kathy

I have seen many bags go through security that would not fit in the overhead bin space, and were above the airline's allowable bag size.

If you got your bag down to the gate and there is no space in the overhead bin or it won't fit, your bag will be gate checked and for now, you will not be charged. I can't help but think at some point in the future, people with oversized bags that don't check them in an attempt to avoid the checked bag fee, are going to start getting charged at the gate.

Thanks for the info...That's what we thought the routine was but haven't flown lately so thought we'd ask the experts here on CC. We have flown enough to know how some people stuff those bins with very large, overstuffed carryons. Since we are close to the back of the plane, we figured most of the space would already be taken by the time we got on board..

I have seen many bags go through security that would not fit in the overhead bin space, and were above the airline's allowable bag size.

If you got your bag down to the gate and there is no space in the overhead bin or it won't fit, your bag will be gate checked and for now, you will not be charged. I can't help but think at some point in the future, people with oversized bags that don't check them in an attempt to avoid the checked bag fee, are going to start getting charged at the gate.

I think so, too, and that's as it should be. Some people drag monster bags as "carry-ons" and I've never seen security measure anything.

I think so, too, and that's as it should be. Some people drag monster bags as "carry-ons" and I've never seen security measure anything.

Isn't it amazing what people are allowed to bring as carry-ons? Then the rest of us have to put a small bag under the seat leaving absolutely no room for our feet! I'd love to see the airlines actually enforce their policies........

Maybe it's different in the US, but here in the UK there are measuring stands near all the check-in desks, with the instruction that, if your carry-on won't fit into the measure, it will have to be put in the hold. The check-in staff usually ask to see what you'd like to carry on, and if they are doubtful, they ask for you to measure it. Note that all this happens before passing through security into the departure area.

Maybe it's different in the US, but here in the UK there are measuring stands near all the check-in desks, with the instruction that, if your carry-on won't fit into the measure, it will have to be put in the hold. The check-in staff usually ask to see what you'd like to carry on, and if they are doubtful, they ask for you to measure it. Note that all this happens before passing through security into the departure area.

Apparently the difference between the UK & the US is that the policies are enforced in the UK and here in the states, they don't bother. The reason for that may be that they don't want to argue with the rude, arrogant, passengers who will verbally abuse them if they tried, but I sure wish they'd do something!

While we're on this subject...

When you travel via motorcoach, the bin directly above the seat is "your" storage area. Why isn't it that way on an airplane?

You're soooooooooo silly! If the overhead bins were for the use of those in the seats below it, where would the inconsiderate people [that carry too much] put their stuff? There's not enough room in the bin over their seats so they need to use other bins!

You know the size is ok since you got it past security.

Not exactly true. I've often (especially recently) seen people get through security with bags that were too big for carry-ons according to a certain airline's policy.

If you fly on regional jets you will almost always have to gate-check anything bigger than a large handbag as they have very small bin space. I have found that I have trouble fitting my 20 inch carry-on on any but the largest planes, though I really don't have the patience to work it into bin.

One last thing ... so far the only airline I've truly seen enforce size rules was Frontier. I've heard them announcing that they would be measuring carry-ons as passengers were boarding and that those with too-large bags would be gate-checked AND charged for a checked bag.

One last thing ... so far the only airline I've truly seen enforce size rules was Frontier. I've heard them announcing that they would be measuring carry-ons as passengers were boarding and that those with too-large bags would be gate-checked AND charged for a checked bag.

YAAAYY!!!!

I personally think the gate charge should be more than if they check it in advance. You know, as a deterrent.

Thanks for the info...That's what we thought the routine was but haven't flown lately so thought we'd ask the experts here on CC. We have flown enough to know how some people stuff those bins with very large, overstuffed carryons. Since we are close to the back of the plane, we figured most of the space would already be taken by the time we got on board..

If you're near the back. you will probably board first. They usually seat from back to front.

Be careful - a few years ago I was on a United flight that was fully booked. The flight had assigned seats, and mine was near the front so I knew I would be in the last boarding group. I had a properly sized rollaboard carryon, but from the herds of sheeple milling around the gate I KNEW there would be no bin space available once I boarded.

So being a good Samaritan, I talked to the gate agent and gave my bag to them for check. Bad move - the bag didn't make it on the airplane. Luckily I was on my way home from a business trip, the bag was delivered there the next day.

Be careful - a few years ago I was on a United flight that was fully booked. The flight had assigned seats, and mine was near the front so I knew I would be in the last boarding group. I had a properly sized rollaboard carryon, but from the herds of sheeple milling around the gate I KNEW there would be no bin space available once I boarded.

So being a good Samaritan, I talked to the gate agent and gave my bag to them for check. Bad move - the bag didn't make it on the airplane. Luckily I was on my way home from a business trip, the bag was delivered there the next day.

Don't you hate it when you do the "right" thing and this stuff happens.

For future reference, UA does not board back to front. First to board is first class, business class (if there is one) Global Services and 1k members.

Next group is Premier executives and Star Alliance Golds. Then Group One; Premiers and Star Alliance Silver. Group Two are people in window seats, Group Three are people in Middle seats, Group Four are people in aisle seats.

We're trying to figure out "what if":confused:..your carry on will not fit under the seat nor overhead, do they charge regular baggage fees if they store it elsewhere on the plane? For instance...sometimes, by the time you get to your seat, the bin has been taken by someone else. Sometimes, even though the bag is well within size requirements, the carry on wheels won't clear the bin. How do they handle that now days? Thanks....

Certainly if you have no more than you are allowed and it does not fit by the time you get to your seat they will gate check it at no charge. they usually do that in any case.

Oh and another thing bags with wheels are REQUIRED to be put in the bin WHEELS first. IF everyone did this things would fit and there would be more room for everyone.

Don't you hate it when you do the "right" thing and this stuff happens.

For future reference, UA does not board back to front. First to board is first class, business class (if there is one) Global Services and 1k members.

Next group is Premier executives and Star Alliance Golds. Then Group One; Premiers and Star Alliance Silver. Group Two are people in window seats, Group Three are people in Middle seats, Group Four are people in aisle seats.

That is making me dizzy.

It's easier to just not fly UA. :D

Oh and another thing bags with wheels are REQUIRED to be put in the bin WHEELS first. IF everyone did this things would fit and there would be more room for everyone.

Sorry...what you say is the way most people put them in -- with the handle out. However, it is actually wheels OUT that works best for most roller bags.

In any case, there is no "requirement" that you put them in any particular way. However, to best fit them in, you want to have them running perpendicular to the aircraft aisle. Then, whether it is wheels in or out depends on what lets you close the bin door.

While we're on this subject...

When you travel via motorcoach, the bin directly above the seat is "your" storage area. Why isn't it that way on an airplane?

Because not all the overhead bins are available space. In some may be equipment that cannot be removed, others may be storage for blankets and pillows, or the crew demonstration emergency stuff.

That is making me dizzy.

It's easier to just not fly UA. :D

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. First to board are those with premium cabin tickets and top-tier FF. Then FF elites in declining status -to reward them for their loyalty. Then the windows, middles and aisles - to reduce the amount of delay of people having to get up to let window-dwellers climb into their seats.

If the windows fill first, then the middles, then aisles, there's less backup in the aisle. Or so the theory goes.

Archived