"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

And its cheaper to do this?

No, the cruise you select is the price it is, but you will pay the deposit while on board. but you will be guaranteed to have some extra spending money on the cruise you do select. This is what onboard credit is.

I guess if I find a better price later on I can cancel the one I bought?

If you book an OPen date, you do not pick a cruise ship or date. So you decide later. No cancellation of a cruise because you did't pick one date or ship. You can then shop for the cruise you want (and you have already paid at least part of the deposit).

Can you book and do payments or do you have to pay the full price right on the cruise?

Neither, you just pay the deposit while you are on board. Usually $100 for one person or $200 for 2 if you know who will be be sailing with in the future. That gets you the certificate for a future sailing.

You will pay whatever that future cruise costs then, minus the deposit amount you paid on the ship. It becomes a "normal" reservation at that point, with payments as usual.

As far as making payments goes, you can send money to your travel agent or the cruise line directly each month after you reserve and deposit your cruise. You can make payments until it is time for final payment in full (about 70 days before your cruise).

NOTE: Always check the ship line you are on as to its individual policies with future reservations to make sure you understand them. You can also choose a future cruise, make the deposit, get a reservation number, and cancel or change it later as long as it is before the final payment date for that future cruise.

maybe clear as mud now, but you can go on the website of the ship you are going to sail on and read the policy for that cruise line. I am pretty sure it will explained more clearly there.

Sailing Carnival Freedom in September. So if I buy a bottle of Jamaican rum while in Jamaica, will I be able to take it back to my room or will they hold it til the end of the cruise? Similarly, if I buy a couple bottles (20 oz) while at port, can I take those back to my room? Am I able to buy a bottle of wine in say Key West and bring that back to my room.

Sailing Carnival Freedom in September. So if I buy a bottle of Jamaican rum while in Jamaica, will I be able to take it back to my room or will they hold it til the end of the cruise? Similarly, if I buy a couple bottles (20 oz) while at port, can I take those back to my room? Am I able to buy a bottle of wine in say Key West and bring that back to my room.

Carnival will allow you to take 2 bottle of wine per stateroom as a carry on when you board. No cruise line will allow you to bring alcohol or wine on board from any port. If you buy any at any port, they will take it away and return it to you when you disembark.

All the lines are clear about this policy.

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

1. Do not attend every meal, sunrise breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and mid night extraganza. my first cruiseI gained 7 lb in 7 days.

Also you are not limited to one entree, if you want two or more items, order them.

2. After they are packed, tell them to take half the stuff out. Travel light.

3. Take a triple tap plug or power bar. There are never enough plugs.

4. Pack masking tape for every thing from foot blisters to problems with suitcases, to hems in clothing coming out, cloths pin to hold the drapes shut in case the curtain don't shut tight, a langalar to clip their room key to, personal meds especially birth control if they are not ready to have a baby.

5. Suit cases can be slide under the bed, there are drawers at the foot of the bed and storage in the make up stool, also usually nice blankets in the cupboard next to the balcony door if you have a verandah.

Lastly, have fun, enjoy each other and all the nice people they are going to meet

Forgot to mention: order rubber made magazine holders from Staples or Office Max. I used them to build a travel log. They are great for displaying your daily programs and menus. If they want a copy of the menus, just ask and they will give you one.

Edited by Seawoff
Forgot something

DH and I just booked a cruise sailing the Carnival Inspiration on September 23. It's the second cruise for both of us, but our first cruise was almost 5 years ago so I can't remember a lot of stuff (plus since it was a gift to us and we were in a large group- we didn't have to handle details) Anyway I just had a few questions I wanted to ask. Hopefully someone can help ;D

*The first cruise we went on was a 7 day cruise and I know we had formal/elegant night at least once (but I think it was twice) while on board. This cruise however is only a 4 day cruise (I sooo wish it was longer, like maybe 104 days :D). Is there still going to be a formal night on a shorter cruise like this? I can't seem to find this info on carnival's site.

*We have early dining reservations. I know we have the option not to eat there and can go to the buffet or elsewhere (we don't board until 10 p.m. in one port, so I'm fairly sure we wont be on ship for dinner that night). If we're not going to the MDR for dinner do we have to call and let someone know? I ask because I keep seeing posts about how annoying it is when people aren't on time for dinner and everybody has to wait for them. I would hate to be seated with a group of people who have to wait on their dinner because dh and I decide not to do dinner in the MDR for a night. (I don't want to be hunted down with a pitchfork or have people blowing whistles at me or anything :D)

You should be able to find the answer to your first question in the Cruise Personalizer for that cruise, or perhaps someone in the CruiseCritic roll call thread for that cruise can point you toward the information. In my experience the dress code schedule can change once your onboard but the number of elegant nights in a short cruise should be something reliable even if their recise order isn't.

If we know we're not going to be at our table in advance we let the others at our table know the night before, and mention it to the waiter as we're on our way out. If you don't think you'll know from one night to the next, you could establish a ground rule with your tablemates - something like if you're not there within 15 minutes of the start time to go ahead without you.

You should be able to find the answer to your first question in the Cruise Personalizer for that cruise, or perhaps someone in the CruiseCritic roll call thread for that cruise can point you toward the information.

Okay I couldn't find the info on Carnival so I guess I'll look harder... and start a roll call for that cruise :D

If we know we're not going to be at our table in advance we let the others at our table know the night before, and mention it to the waiter as we're on our way out. If you don't think you'll know from one night to the next, you could establish a ground rule with your tablemates - something like if you're not there within 15 minutes of the start time to go ahead without you.

If we end up getting a two top so that there won't be other guests dining with/waiting on us, does the waiters still need to know in advance if we won't be there or not? I just know we tend to be 'lets play it by ear' kind of people. Thanks for the help and info!

If we end up getting a two top so that there won't be other guests dining with/waiting on us, does the waiters still need to know in advance if we won't be there or not? I just know we tend to be 'lets play it by ear' kind of people. Thanks for the help and info!
Much less of an issue with being a no-show if you don't have other diners at your table waiting and wondering. If you're going to your regular dining room you should still plan to be seated within 15 (maybe it's 30) minutes of the designated seating time at the latest. If you're not there by then your server will assume you've made other plans, and you shouldn't arrive after that time because it will generally mess up the timing of your dinner courses.

That's a great idea, if you don't have a scanner, you could take pics with your cell phone also.

I have a lanyard with a built-in 1gb USB drive. I'm taking the lanyard for carrying around the cruise card & will have all my documentation scanned to PDF & saved to the drive. Much more convenient than carting photocopies everywhere & quite unobtrusive.

I haven't yet seen anyone suggest taking a small bottle of tropical strength personal insect repellent. My mother is taking me on my first cruise in January 2014 & said she takes some along to spray any baskets or such that may have mites in them. Oh & for sand flies or mozzies or other little flying nasties.

Loving this thread but so glad that I have a very experienced travelling companion to introduce me to the joys of cruising.

We have early dining reservations. I know we have the option not to eat there and can go to the buffet or elsewhere (we don't board until 10 p.m. in one port, so I'm fairly sure we wont be on ship for dinner that night). If we're not going to the MDR for dinner do we have to call and let someone know? I ask because

I keep seeing posts about how annoying it is when people aren't on time for dinner and everybody has to wait for them. I would hate to be seated with a group of people who have to wait on their dinner because dh and I decide not to do dinner in the MDR for a night. (I don't want to be hunted down with a pitchfork or have people blowing whistles at me or anything :D)

As others are suggesting, on the first evening say to the wait staff, and your fellow diners, "if we are not here within 10 minutes of our dining time, please feel free to start without us." Hopefully your fellow diners will then chime in with something similar.

Hi - thanks for the tips - I Wonder if this 2 bottles per stop goes for all cruise lines? Do you know?

It varies by cruise line. HAL used to have an unlimited wine policy (you'll see older posts on the forum stating this), but they just changed it to 1 bottle per person at embarkation. Guess too many people were bringing cases.

This thread has been so helpful! I'm going on my second cruise, but it will be the first with my hubby of 25 years. Last one was with my mom & a friend. I feel like a newbie though because I did not know most of these tips you all posted. I'm amazed we made it thru without incident!

My tips:

1 - Feel free to move away from the crowds. We went on Freedom of the Seas western cruise and my favorite place and experience was in Cozumel. Instead of waiting in the line with hundreds of people waiting for taxis to go to the very same crowded beach, we rented a car. It wasn't too bad between the three of us, and we got to drive around the other side of the island when it was basically deserted, watch the waves come in on the rocky beaches, eat at a little taco stand, see and shop at stalls with real handmade items, see a lighthouse and so much more. Loved it. Plan to do it again.

2 - One of our fav things was going to the shuffleboard deck. No one was there, except a few smokers. I loved sitting there reading a book in peace with the wind off the ocean for company.

3 - We tried to catch every sunset.

I had a couple questions:

1 - People mentioned pushing luggage under the bed and we did that last time. This time I have one of those huge suitcases. I wondered if it would fit under the bed and if not, what do I do with it?

2 - I saw mention of booking your next cruise before you got off your cruise. Do you save a significant amount doing it this way? Can you just do a down payment or have to pay the whole thing (we're going on RCL again).

3 - Do you prefer to bring books, use the onship library or use a Nook/Kindle? I have a Nook but worry about it getting ruined, wet or stolen. What say you?

TIA!

Regarding the huge suitcase under the bed: our suitcase did not fit under the bed on the Westerdam so it could be an issue. We shoved ours in the closet, but we were in a suite with a ton of closet space.

Edited by NoobCruise

After reading CC for months before my first cruise last month I bought and packed a few items that were unnecessary; however, I found some I was very glad I brought.

1. Duct tape. Rough seas one period and I used it to tape the cabinets shut as they kept popping open and banging in the night.

2. A bathroom airfreshner that stuck to the wall

3. A small piece of rubber shelf liner for the desk top. Even with high waves, nothing rolled or slid off it, even the bottles of wine!

4. A small door magnet. Even though we found our room it was nice to tell others looking for us to just find Guinness (our cat) photo.

5 hanging clothes pins for laundry. Cound hang stuff on the shower line as wall as hook them to soap dish, towel bar, etc. Don't think you plan to do laundry. You will still have wet socks, wet swimsuit, etc.

6. An envelope of about $50 in ones. Handy for tips.

7. Pick up several of the disposible rain ponchos for about a dollar at various places-WAllY, Dollar Tree, etc. I could have sold them and made a fortune on the ship on rainy days. Much better than an umbrella as it covers all of you, and you can just toss it and not have a soaking object in your room.

Did NOT use extra power strip, hanging door thingy for stuff, umbrella

A couple of things: the food is not gourmet. It's good and plentiful but we had heard everybody raving about the food on a cruise ship and how wonderful it was and how you gain so much weight so we had very high expectations. The food is like banquet food-good but not great. (I don't have to cook it or clean up after it so it's that much better to me!)

Don't bring so many clothes-nobody cares if you wear the same thing twice.

Board the ship as soon as you are able on the first day. It counts as a cruise day and you are paying for it so enjoy it!

I totally agree with everything said above! Don't bother taking so many clothes...however if you get in a bind they have a place you can do your laundry on your deck.

If you get messages on a regular basis at home don’t get one on the ship…you will be disappointed and they are not cheap. Mine was $235.00 for what I get at home for $90.00 and I was annoyed by them taking 10 minutes of massage time to sell me products. SOOO not worth the money!

If you go off the ship use cash and try to pay with small bills. Someone at our table paid with a large bill and was given counterfeit bills as change.

Don't whiten your teeth on the ship! Your gums will be hurting the rest of the cruise.

Edited by 3jd's

I totally agree with everything said above! Don't bother taking so many clothes...however if you get in a bind they have a place you can do your laundry on your deck.

If you get messages on a regular basis at home don’t get one on the ship…you will be disappointed and they are not cheap. Mine was $235.00 for what I get at home for $90.00 and I was annoyed by them taking 10 minutes of massage time to sell me products. SOOO not worth the money!

If you go off the ship use cash and try to pay with small bills. Someone at our table paid with a large bill and was given counterfeit bills as change.

Don't whiten your teeth on the ship! Your gums will be hurting the rest of the cruise.

RCI Adventure of the Seas didn't have one. Not sure about other ships. I did have some laundry done on a sale day, when they let you fill a bag for a set amount.

Took me a minute to figure out what you meant here, then I realized you were talking about a massage, not a message. Right, though. I did tell the lady not to try to sell me stuff, or I might buy it using the tip I was prepared to leave her. ;)

Dang. That stinks.

:D

You don't need to pack beach towels - they are provided...saved us tons of space in the suitcase. Keep an envelope to put small bills in from your wallet. Before you know it you will have all your tip money.

1) Your cruise starts LONG before you get to the dock. Read these boards. It's addictive yes, and you might not agree with all of the information on it, but there is a lot of good useful information on this site.

2) Bring a small "gift" for your cabin steward from your hometown. I bring a t-shirt from our local area, but any souvenir will do. I wrap it in cellophane and add some candy and then put a note on the outside with a quick hello message (basic info about who we are and how excited we are about this cruise). I carry it on board, and put it on the top of the bed as soon as we board.

3) Call room service each day, and ask them to deliver a pitcher of ice water with lemon. It is nice to have that pitcher in your fridge when you get back from your day's activities (don't forget to tip the room service person)

Which brings me to 4) bring small pre-made cello envelopes with a $2.00 tip (and again I add candy and a small pre-printed thank you) for room service. Our travel friends used to "make fun of me" for my creative tip envelopes, but when room service showed up when we were in the fjords with a second pot of hot coffee after we had been outside in the freezing cold for an hour (without being called) everyone agreed it was because I gave that "goofy" tip.

5) Suck the marrow out of the cruise. Go and do the things that might be a little out of your "interest zone", talk to people that talk to you, try foods that you might not necessarily order at home. And most important....leave all of your troubles at the dock. Turn your phone off, do not pick up email (unless it's for business) and have the BEST TIME!!!

I love your tip idea and I am gonna steal it if you don't mind and I saw some one else mention the cabin steward gift idea i think that is a great idea too.