"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

fumita...if you'll turn "signatures" OFF in your preferences, you'll only have 54 pages! Makes the pages all full of actual posts and eliminates the "fluff". Is much easier to get thru. Just FYI

Nope, still 108 pages ;)

I'm using the cruise critic app (maybe fumita is too), no signatures here.

What I wish I knew before going on our first cruise (Carnival Valor - May 2016).

1. The interior of the ship is kept very cold. The A/C is intense, so anyone who is cold sensitive, pack a light sweater.

2. Pools and hot tubs are packed with people who literally stand in the same spot, drink in hand, all day.

3. Hot tubs, are NOT hot, cool, at best --- for obvious reasons. (Alcohol + hot tubs do not mix), but I expected the hot tubs to be lukewarm, at least.

4. Drinks are expensive, so are cruiseline sponsored excursions...do your research on non-cruiseline sponsored excursions and don't let them scare you into their "You might miss the ship" tactics.

5. Bring cold/flu meds...I brought every conceivable motionsickness/ibuprofen/bug spray/stomach meds you can imagine. I forgot the cold meds and had a wicked cold/sinus infection during our cruise.

Thanks so much for all these great tips, we are cruising in 9 days (June 11 on RCCL Anthem of the Seas).

One thing I'm curious about is the baggage policy. Is there a size or weight rule that needs to be followed? I want to make sure I'm not bringing too much and then get turned down on embarkation day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go to the cruise line to check. Each one seems to be different.

Most people fly in so there is the airlines limits. (I would adhere to their rules.) The cruise ship are not stricter than the airlines in regards to weight and size of luggage.

As far as the number of suitcases the size of the cabin will limit a traveler.

Maybe ha ha!

I've not heard of a "luggage policy", but there probably is one...somewhere. You certainly don't want to take a bag that's so big it won't fit under your bed; or so big you can't handle it by yourself.

From the restrictions that I've run across, it is not necessarily the cruise line itself that has the restriction but the transfer companies, the luggage handlers, etc. Some of this is union restrictions and some of it is simple safety issues like luggage weight and size ... both for their employee that is handling the luggage and to make sure there is adequate and equitable space so that all customers can have reasonably similar space for their luggage.

So, while the cruise line may say we have not luggage restrictions on amount or weight, the people that handle the luggage in port may have restrictions that you will need to adhere to.

Also, from what I've seen unless your piece of luggage can fit through the scanners at security check in you will be asked to check it through using the other luggage handlers. So if you are thinking about taking on your luggage rather than using the luggage handlers, remember that security/TSA/etc. may have restrictions to deal with.

Clear as mud? LOL

Just spent a lovely Saturday and Sunday reading through this entire forum. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give your insights! We are taking our first cruise next month and will return the favor on our return.

If Pam post's what to pack in a suitcase for a cruise, listen to her. Shes been on plenty and knows how to travel. For me, as a male, I pack unders, Ts for casual wear, and usually 3 pairs of shorts, the kind that can double as swim gear. They are compact. A pair of pants, one or 2 collared shirts and some sox, wear deck shoes, they can be casual but nice and OK for Dinner. I pack the way the Sailors do, rolling everything tightly and packing sox inside shoes.I pack 2 days of shorts and changes into a backpack along with several Clif or some energy bars in case we get laid over or worse stranded on a ramp.Bring binoculars and a camera. I don't wear a watch on a cruise. There are other forums on packing also and you can google it. Most people pack twice as much as they will use.

• 2 weeks later...

Everywhere we go people tell us "Americans" are snobs. It's not mean just the truth. I've been in 25 countries and most think Americans are Bullies, Elitist and a lot of other names. Hers what just one othr person thought:*Americans are all obese

*Are spoiled (mostly in poor places of the world) becuase we(americans) have so much but we take it for granted.

*We're greatley diversed (some people view it as bad and some a good thing)

*We're materialistic

*Patriotic

*We're very friendly

*Emotional

*and we get offended easily

Just.A.lil.Sloww ·

People recommend room service and say it takes about as long as a hotel. For those of us who have never experienced room service in a hotel, how long is this? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour?

Janelle:confused:

There is no "standard," based on my own personal experience. There are too many variables ranging from complexity of the order to the distance from the kitchen and the time of day (or night).

That said, our "usual" experience is about 1/2 hour. If you pre-order breakfast on the hang card, you will be asked a time bracket; some 30 minutes and some 15 minutes. Regardless, it has been our experience that breakfast is usually delivered very promptly, at the earliest time in the bracket.

Oh for heaven's sake, you can find stereotypes everywhere. That doesn't mean you should feed into them by continuing the meme: "Mexicans are lazy." "Brits are stoic." "French are rude." "Russians are drunks." "Germans are megalomaniacs." :mad::(:mad:

They're all ridiculous and use a broad brush to paint others with just to make themselves feel superior in some way. People just need to get over it and stop the stupid memes. While some may indeed personify the stereotype, to say all or even most are like that is rather ignorant and short sighted.

If nothing else, cruises should give people the opportunity to be exposed to a vast array of other places, peoples, and cultures they might not otherwise get to experience.

I really appreciate all the tips.

Someone mentioned that one may never see their cabin steward. If I wanted to tip extra, how would I do that? Where would I leave it?

Also, regarding the photos. Do they actually print all the photos? Or is it digital and you look at it on a computer to pick?

For our 3 cruises we saw our steward many times a day somewhere near our room.

As far as pics, we have done Carnival and NCL and they print EVERYTHING and post them in slots on the walls and dividers. You have to do a bunch of searching to find them and decide if you want them or not.

Someone mentioned that one may never see their cabin steward. If I wanted to tip extra, how would I do that? Where would I leave it?

Also, regarding the photos. Do they actually print all the photos? Or is it digital and you look at it on a computer to pick?

On the Vista, it is set up so you can use the Carnival Hub app to view your photos. That would be great if it could go fleet wide. Just think of all the prints that would not be thrown away every day...

On Oasis-class RCI ships, they have prints and digital to choose from. (Prints were organized into binders for each stateroom, which was nice.) I'm not sure whether this is the case on the smaller ships. On Oasis, I was able to buy a disk with a certain number of credits and unlock the photos I wanted when I got home and had more time to look at them. (Also, if it's a special occasion, they have a professional studio in Central Park where you can get portraits taken. You have to sign up for a sitting, which is free. Do note that you have to buy these photos separately from the others taken onboard, and they are much more expensive.)

On Carnival, Vista has digital, but the other ships have print only. At least that's my understanding. I've read that they are trying to institute digital, which would be nice. I would much prefer getting digital copies of my photos. Plus it would be a lot less paper waste.

Edited by wampuscat7

You will see your cabin steward. You may leave it under your pillow like someone else said. Last cruise on RCCL we had digital only aboard Navigator. 2 X/day cabin service but they were sloppy and the bathroom was dirty for 2 1/2 days.

Edited by WupperAV

I have been reading all the threads about hints for first timers. I am more excited everyday. I am bringing a highlighter and probably getting a lanyard. I also made my count down clock. Is it really 242 more days??? :eek: I better quit reading and get in shape for the the ship steps I am going to take. :D

Edited by Nanook8861

We found the highlighter useful. We took 2 different colors so we could each highlight our personal choices. However, we usually chose the same activities.