"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Re passports. You won't need them off the ship but I am amazed by the people who take them 'just in case' and then leave then on the ship while in port. Means that if the reason they were bringing them happened they'd be stuck anyway

In addition to julie3fan's response, I'll just add that my wife fell ill in the Caribbean last year and spent three days in the hospital. It would have been very burdensome if we had had to apply for passports in addition to all the other disruption caused by the hospitalization and having to leave the ship with a minimal amount of luggage. Edited by Underwatr

1. To bring a nightlight

2. Suitcases can be stored under the bed

3. You can get a free deck of cards at guest services on Carnival

4. As dorky as it looks having your card on a lanyard really is convenient

5. Don't try to do everything

Can you punch a hole in the card and put it on a coil wrist key chain like pictured?

30506c90527a9187b5ae678f394da05e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I loved this, but added a clear plastic card holder for the card, and put some cash inside for extra tips too. The Fun times tear off folded nicely into the clear holder too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Truth be told, there's not going to be anything useful in this post - I just learned how to add the cruise countdown to my sig and want to see it :).

Just reiterating a few points I believe in 100%:

1. First and foremost, above everything else, the very DEFINITION of vacation is the temporary absolution of responsibility. There is no better place to do it than a cruise. Leave all of your stress, worry, work etc. at home. Once you're on the ship you're in a new world where your every whim is catered to. Relax and enjoy it.

2. Second and fivemost (one of my favorite bad jokes), I agree 100% with the many posters who have said not to try to do EVERYTHING, even saying you don't have to disembark at every port. Think of the ship as an activity buffet - when you go to the Windjammer you don't even TRY to eat everything on the buffet, do you? Same with things to do. Do what you want, relax when you want, don't do what you don't want. You're on vacation.

3. Third and (joke has run its course), strong magnets will improve your cabin life. I put two in the bathroom, string a Target or Walmart bag between them and use that for my toiletries.

4. Here's a silly yet serious one: I only pack colored underwear so that if I want to do a load of laundry I don't have to separate whites from colors.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Bring a empty store gift card to activate electricity in your room when you leave. You just slide it in the switch beside the door and leave it for the week. That way you will be able to charge your electronics when you leave. If you don' t do that there's no power in the room.

Bring clothespin to hang wet stuff to dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

et me start by saying that my wife and I have lived and traveled in a number of 3rd world countries, so are used to haggling, going to places that seem a bit dodgy to most Americans, and dealing with people whose English is less than perfect.

When we first started cruising we took a number of tours, but eventually realized that if we just get off the ship and look for a taxi, we can usually hire the taxi to take us to the best places to see. And if we do not like a place, we can leave right away, and if we like it a lot, we can stay longer. It also works out to be cheaper, especially if you bargain. The taxi drivers rather take some money than just wait for passengers. I'd say we have done this at least a dozen times, and while some experiences were better than others, none were bad. The worst is when the taxi drives is a bit maniacal on the road and you have to slow him down. Or the suspension on the cab wore out years ago.

The only place we have taken a tour recently was in St. Petersburg because getting off the ship by yourself requires a relatively expensive tourist visa, while the excursion do not. That excursion had all the flaws of every other one. We would have loved to spend more time at the Hermitage, and less time at the mediocre lunch. It was ok, but I'm glad we do not do tours anymore.

Actually, we have probably been to every diamonds international and Del Sols in the world, so now we just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet.

Bring a empty store gift card to activate electricity in your room when you leave. You just slide it in the switch beside the door and leave it for the week. That way you will be able to charge your electronics when you leave. If you don' t do that there's no power in the room.

The card doesn't even need a magnetic stripe. It just has to fit in the slot and move a little switch.

If something happens and you get stuck ashore, the ship will get your passport out of your safe and leave it with the port personnel. They ALWAYS know when you're not on the ship when it pulls out of port. And I've never been to a port that does, but I think there are some ports where you do have to carry them with you, like maybe the Middle East, or Far East.

A smart traveler ALWAYS takes their passport anytime you step off the ship in a foreign country. Ya'll can go on and on about what if you lose it while ashore. Or ship's personnel will take it out of your safe and do what with it? Find you at the next port after three days at sea?

If I'm ill, stranded or mugged in Columbia I want my passport with ME, not back on the ship enroute to China.

A smart traveler ALWAYS takes their passport anytime you step off the ship in a foreign country. Ya'll can go on and on about what if you lose it while ashore. Or ship's personnel will take it out of your safe and do what with it? Find you at the next port after three days at sea?

If I'm ill, stranded or mugged in Columbia I want my passport with ME, not back on the ship enroute to China.

Actually, it is turned over to the port agent.

I have just finished reading every post! I did it over a couple months and found some great tips!

Here's what I wish I knew....

I wish I knew about the unlimited food in MDR, and I wish I knew how to relieve my swollen ankles! After a few days, they are unbearable!

To help reduce and/or prevent those annoying swollen ankles, try these simple steps:

Avoid standing for long periods.

Prop up your feet when sitting and avoid crossing your legs.

Stretch often when sitting for long periods.

Lie on your left side when sleeping.

Put support stockings on before getting out of bed in the morning

Drink plenty of water. (This may sound odd, but if your body feels it is dehydrated, it will try to retain even more fluid.)

Swim or stand in a pool up to your neck.

Exercise regularly.

Try to stay cool in humid or hot weather.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

Have you learned a good technique to relieve your swollen ankles? If so, please share. :-)

To help reduce and/or prevent those annoying swollen ankles, try these simple steps:

Put support socks on before getting out of bed in the morning

Drink plenty of water. (This may sound odd, but if your body feels it is dehydrated, it will try to retain even more fluid.)

Exercise regularly.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Forums mobile app

Put support stockings on before getting out of bed in the morning

Exercise regularly.

Sleep with a pillow under your feet

One of these would be useful? This was from IKEA in the UK but I feel sure you could get USA version. We bought it yesterday !883e589b165fe752cd17b8ae2c20149f_thumb.jpg

A compact way of charging up 3 phones or tablet devices and takes up a lot less space than a power strip !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can get all kinds of variations on this on amazon. I have one with 8 USB plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

(Have to preface this with ... I am a first time cruiser, back from my first cruise two days ago. I read a LOT of useful information on this board and others before going. I know some (all?) of what I post will be repeats for most of you, but I also know I didn't read EVERY single post everywhere and there were things I missed. My experience/opinion are mine alone ... I'm not saying you'll have the same opinion or experience ... no disrespect to anyone who sees things differently than I do ... but here's my "5 things" ...)

1. On Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas ... ice, water, hot coffee (regular and decaf), hot tea, iced tea, lemonade and one fruit flavored 'sugar water' type beverage are available free of charge at a few different drink stations. Water/tea/coffee are also included with your meals in the main dining room. I had read this but just was not sure exactly what would be available or when/where etc. so my travel partner and I both opted for the $8.50 per day soda package ... but I definitely could have done without it. I would have been just fine with the 'freebies' and probably drank more ice water than anything else while on board. We both had a couple of mixed drinks/frozen drinks from the bar over the course of the cruise, but nothing that would come near making the 'alcohol' package worthwhile for us. Do your own research, know your own habits and decide for yourself.

1a. Soda is NOT available at breakfast on departure day. All bars are closed and soda is apparently considered a 'bar' item. My travel partner does not care for coffee or tea and had to make do with just water and juice ... he really wanted a Diet Coke. I know this is a minor thing, but figure it's worth mentioning for any 'soda-aholics' out there.

2. Know what you can bring on board ... we brought two bottles of wine and enjoyed drinking them on our balcony each of the first nights on board. I enjoyed this. I honestly think we could have both brought two bottles (instead of two total for the cabin), no one checked, asked, etc. but I didn't want to break any rules so we didn't. I think the worse that would happen if you tried ... they would confiscate the extra bottles ... and you'd be out that $$. (I've seen posts about taking cases of water and soda ... but I'm pretty sure RC does not allow that ... maybe other cruise lines do.)

3. This is a major repeat, but seriously, DO NOT OVER PACK! You do not need everything in your closet. Plan mix & match and possibly to re-wear items. Plan just a few pair of shoes that will coordinate with multiple outfits. I enjoyed having 3 dresses and being able to dress up a LITTLE for dinner several nights, but they were fairly casual and I wore one pair of neutral wedge heels all three nights. I chose not to bring a super formal dress, but one of my dresses definitely would have been okay, just not impressive, if we'd opted for formal night. I took 5 mix & match outfits of casual tops/tees and skorts/capris ... I didn't even wear half of them. I'll pack much lighter next time. I spent almost all day in swimsuit and cover-up dress. I am happy that I took two swimsuits, and if i were young and hot and really loved showing off in a swimsuit - I'd probably have taken a bunch of different bikinis ... but as it were, two basic suits was fine for me.

3a. Ladies - TANKINIS are the bomb! the coverage of a one piece but the ease of a two piece for bathroom visits, changing, etc. If you don't have one at least consider trying one!!!

3a(1) DO NOT worry about not being young and hot and in great shape ... you see ALL body types, all ages, all degrees of tan/pale, etc. ENJOY yourself and the pools, etc. WHO CARES what a bunch of strangers think ... if you catch their eye in a good way then WOO HOO enjoy the attention ... if you don't ... who cares, they're having their own good time ... doesn't affect you. Relax and enjoy!

3b. I found some of the suggestions on 'other' items to bring along to be a bit excessive. I mean I'm glad I had some basic first aid items and OTC meds, even though we didn't need any of them. But I personally don't think you need to try to pack something for EVERY possible situation imaginable. I didn't even bring a power cord. For us the TWO outlets were fine, we had two phones two phone chargers ... that was about it for really needing an outlet. When I needed to use the hair dryer or my flat iron, I unplugged one phone and used them. No biggie. A small pair of scissors came in handy several times as did the wine bottle opener but other than that I can't really think of much other than personal care/grooming items that we needed at all. We had our reading glasses, books, Sudoku, poo-pouri, cotton swabs, sunblock, etc. but to me those are basics ... not like the 'everything you can possibly imagine ever packing' that I saw in some of the video clips I watched. (ETA: oh ... i did find the magnetic hooks suggestion to be worthwhile ... there's a ton of storage in the room, and 4 hooks on the bathroom door, but extra hooks for hanging bathrobes, swimsuits, etc. did come in handy!)

4. If you enjoy girly, spa, pampering ... but are on a budget and cant go for the massage or facial, etc. Consider the THERMAL SPA ... heaven on earth ... use at your leisure, relax, read or nap on the heated loungers, use the mild or hot steam rooms, enjoy or even share a (swim suit on) Tropical Rain shower with optional Icy Drench. I personally didn't care for the aromatherapy room (something was 'off' with the scent for me) but its there too if you like it. This will run you $30 per day currently, or get better price per day for the whole week ... but then you also have to factor in whether you will use it every day or not.

4a. even if you don't decide to spend $ on the Thermal Spa you can use the dry Sauna and Steam rooms in the (separate) Ladies and Men's changing/locker rooms. Unless I am mistaken, since access to the work out facilities is free, you can access these at no charge ... regardless of whether you actually work out or not.

5. ENJOY the ship ... pools, decks, shows, presentations whatever is YOUR idea of fun ... don't feel like you have to scurry from one scheduled activity to the other ... especially the very first day. Do the activities you want to, at your own pace, *IF* they fit into your day. But honestly, I think we tried to make it to too many scheduled things that first day and I feel like in a way we wasted some of the day just going from one thing to another. Next time I'll know just to slow down the first day ... 15 minutes of trivia or a game may not be worth losing out on an hour at the pool, kwim? Luckily I was a quick learner and the rest of the cruise was less frantic.

FWIW, we did really enjoy the evening shows in the Pacifica Theater and the late night comedian in the Schooner bar and even watched a10 o'clock movie in the little theater a couple of nights. The shows were FUN for us, but I know they wouldn't be every one's cup of tea.

Anyway ... we had a great time and are already thinking about 'next' time!!!!

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

• 3 weeks later...
What do you guys recommend carrying off ship in ports and on excursions as far as ID/wallets go?

I take my cruise card, drivers license, a picture of my passport, CC, and a small amount of cash, and cell phone or camera.

I use a waist money belt, and a small wallet for the cash-- if my day includes a beach, I have a waterproof neck pouch for my cell phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fwiw, I took a small colored led tea light on our last cruise. Left it on in the bathroom overnight. It gave me enough light to get to the restroom, and also to use the restroom without turning on the bright lights. Made getting back to sleep much easier.

I still pack too much. I pack less each time, so in another ten or twelve cruises I should be at the right amount! Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Anthomaniac

I'm definitely one of those people who can't sleep without a small, fairly loud fan (white noise, drown out hallway noise) so one will be in my suitcase along with 1-2 long power strips.

I use an app for my iPad that has all sorts of white noise from fan, to rain. We use the waves sound on a cruise. Works perfectly. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk