Weird Questions, sorry but have to know

DianeO90

Okay, I am going on my first cruise in 2 weeks to Western Caribbean on Carnival. I am so afraid of seeing people on the ship puking everywhere as it will ruin my trip. How likely is it and does it happen a lot that people are puking over the deck or wherever and you just see people getting sick now and then? Also, I am not a drinker and get very uncomfortable around drunks, are there really a lot of drunks everywhere on the ship causing commotion or is this all in my immagination? I'm so afraid of being on the ship and dealing with the drunks and the pukers and hope this really doesn't happen but then again we are on a ship so I'm sure I will have to deal with some of this. Help ease my mind here and tell me it isn't true :)

Thanks!

:)we've been on several cruises and have not seen anyone throwing up, ever. from drinking or rough seas. the ships have stabilizers that keep motion to a minimum, and there are public restrooms everywhere. so if anyone is feeling queasy they can easily duck into one.

there are definitely drunk people, mostly the younger crowd and late at night, but it's very easy to avoid them. they tend to hang out in the drinking areas - bars and lounges. but really even tho people may have had a few, rarely have we seen any outrageous behavior. we don't drink either, and the ships are so big now that you can do something in an area away from the alcohol.:D

Oh, and I haven't seen a lot of drunks either, though you may see more depending on the time/type of cruise. Supposedly, during Spring Break or similar times you'll see more drunk people, and during shorter (3-4 night or less) cruises you'll see more drunk people.

Some cruise lines are known for younger clientele than others and that's probably a factor to some degree too.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have not ever seen anyone puke on a cruise ship. On our last cruise we were in rough water (up the coast of New England and Canada in October), and even then I never saw anyone become sick,

either from rough seas or from too much booze.

We tend to turn in early, 10:30 or 11 at night, so my experience may differ, but we never saw anyone drunk, either...at least not so drunk that it was noticeable by their behavior.

I don't know where the original poster heard such stories!?! :eek:

"That's" what you are worried about? There was not one person who was openly ill on my last cruise wither from seasickness or too many libations. Yes, at about 3AM or so you may come across a person who may have indulged too much, but are you going to be in the bars that late if you don't drink? Probably not.

It's your first cruise the thing you should be worried about is enjoying yourself so much that you book your cruise the day after you get home.

You're worried about nothing. We've been on five cruises and have never seen pukers. Usually, any pukers whether from seasickness or anything else will be in their cabins. I suppose we've seen a few drunks here and there, but they were minding their own business and not bothering anyone. Since you don't drink anyway, you'll chances of encountering drunks is already reduced-you won't be in any of the bars.

I threw up once, but it was on an excursion. Small boat, rough seas. If I had felt that sick on the ship (and I never have) I would have gone to my cabin. It would be my guess that is what everyone who feels ill would do. So much less embarrasing to get sick in private. As for drunks everywhere, I've never seen that either. They either don't exist or are somewhere other than where I am. These ships are very big and it is so easy to avoid places, people and situations you don't want to see or be a part of.

Hello,

We have been on 30 cruises and I have not seen very much gross behavior so I would not worry about this at all.

You should know though that the cruise line you have chosen does, emphasize that their ships are "fun" ships. The word "fun" in West Point Utah is very different than the word "fun" in many other parts of the USA.

There are many cruise lines that emphasize the travel aspects of a cruise, that is , the ports, lecturers on different subjects, and so on. I am sure that you will have good time on your first cruise. But next time look at cruise lines that do not emphasize that a cruise is one big party. The other cruise lines are lots of fun too but the party atmosphere is somewhat quieter.

I have never seen anyone throw up on a ship, ever.

My friends and I did have a couple of intoxicated people join us in the elevator on our last cruise. They were a little too loud and a little too staggery.

We just ignored them and they got off at another floor. Never had problems with people being drunk or sick.

Enjoy your cruise!

I saw everybody getting sick on a very rough cruise once; even the crew was ill it was so bad. Most people hide in their cabins or head to the infirmary when they don't feel well. Civilized behavior isn't generally abandoned wholesale just because one set sail. :eek:

As for "drunks" -- people do tend to over indulge b/c there are a lot of bars on cruise ships and they are on vacation -- a time to let your hair down, so to speak. Would I let most cruise passangers drive a car after dinner? probable not but that doesn't mean the majority are badly behaved.

If you really don't like people drinking, I suggest you stay out of the bars & turn in early.

I have not witnessed someone getting sick either...thankfully. If it was to happen, it certainly wouldn't be planned. Most people do like the solitude of their cabins when they are feeling under the weather.

I have seen some that have had too much to drink but the ship is large and there are lots of other places to enjoy.

Pukers and drunkards and rough seas, oh my!!

Never seen any of what you are worried about on a cruise ship. Now, when I was in the US Navy...

One time coming back from the port of Philadelphia to Norfolk we hit a major storm with 30 foot seas, shouldn't have even been out in it but captain was stubborn. I was coming down the ladder(stairs) and the executive officer was coming up the stairs and he saw how green I was and ushered me into the officers head(rest room) to puke. The one and only time I got to go in there, kind of like checking out the ladies room, it truly is different.:eek:

Hello,

We have been on 30 cruises and I have not seen very much gross behavior so I would not worry about this at all.

You should know though that the cruise line you have chosen does, emphasize that their ships are "fun" ships. The word "fun" in West Point Utah is very different than the word "fun" in many other parts of the USA.

There are many cruise lines that emphasize the travel aspects of a cruise, that is , the ports, lecturers on different subjects, and so on. I am sure that you will have good time on your first cruise. But next time look at cruise lines that do not emphasize that a cruise is one big party. The other cruise lines are lots of fun too but the party atmosphere is somewhat quieter.

Fred, have you ever sailed Carnival? Are you talking from experience or just blowing in the breeze?

DH & I have sailed Carnival several times and sailed Celebrity, RCL, NCL and Princess many times as well. Have seen ``big parties'' on all of the cruiselines over our 20-plus curises that are way far louder and more ambitious than what we've seen on our 6 Carnival cruisse so far.

Loudest and most obnoxious group of ``party'' cruisers was on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago when there was a large group of young teens from S. America who had only a couple of adult chaperones with them. Now that was a party ship -- bar none -- and not an experience I want to see again.

Any cruiseline can have a party group on it at any given sailing. Naming one cruiseline as you did is way out of line in today's cruising world.

Dianne

Archived