Chops, Portifino and Formal Night

briody

I am going to the Southern Carib in June with my family - daughters 23, 21 and 18. Which restaurant should I spend the money on and can you make reservations before.

Also my husband will not dress up for formal night so what are my choices - I did read on a thread once that you can have the food delivered to your room - lobster and all - is that true?:confused:

I am going to the Southern Carib in June with my family - daughters 23, 21 and 18. Which restaurant should I spend the money on and can you make reservations before.

Also my husband will not dress up for formal night so what are my choices - I did read on a thread once that you can have the food delivered to your room - lobster and all - is that true?:confused:

You should try both restaurants and make your own mind up! We liked Chops but preferred Portofino - we thought there was more variety in the menu.

You can book ahead. Go to the Royal Caribbean website, login and go to your cruise details. Look under 'cruise enhancements'.

Yes, the main dining room menu can be delivered to your room.

Hope that helps.

Since your cruise isn't until June, you won't be able to book Chops or Portofino yet. My cruise is mid-Jan and I was finally able to book Portofino last week but Chops hasn't shown up yet for our sailing. I've read that RC opens the reservations between 60 and 90 days from sail date.

My mom and I decided to skip formal night this next cruise so we could pack a little lighter. We're going to Chops one night and Portofino the other since the restaurants are "smart casual" even on formal nights.

If you choose not to go to a specialty restaurant, you can order room service, go to the buffet, or eat in a casual cafe instead. I'm not sure what ship you are on so the choices will vary. If I remember correctly, you can have lobster delivered through room service but they don't bring extras. In the MDR, you can order extra tails if you want them.

We've never tried to have lobster delivered via room service, but numerous members have reported that they were not able to have lobster delivered. Also a note that for the dining room meals that can be delivered by room service, you must order during the regular dinner hours, not all items are available for delivery, and if lobster is in fact available for delivery, it will only be available on lobster night.

It would be a good idea to confirm the current policy regarding lobster night and room service delivery options.

beachchick

Stolen from another thread here, might help you out:

Portofino - http://www.beyondships.com/files/NOS_Portofino.PDF

Chops - http://www.beyondships.com/files/NOS_Chops.PDF

We have sailed many times on Royal Caribbean and have never been able to have lobster delivered by room service. There is a dinner menu on room service, but it wasn't exactly the same as what is served in the dining room. For example, we ordered on a night that filet mignon was being served and were told we could get steak, but it wasn't going to be filet mignon.

I have to say though that we haven't been on RCI since last year, so perhaps they have changed their policies, but somehow I don't think this is one of the changes.

As far as Portofino & Chops-- we prefer Portofino by a mile. Even though it is advertised as an Italian restaurant, it's not your usual Italian eatery. To me, the filet mignon served there is far better than that in Chops. I think that Portofino has more ambiance than Chops also. I don't like my veggies/sides served family style and that's what they do in Chops.

We have gone on a formal night to both restaurants. We have seen men dressed in tuxes, suits as well as dress pants and a dress shirt with and without a tie. I think the dress code for these restaurants is kind of smart casual.

Enjoy your cruise and I know you will love the specialty restaurant.

By all means, go to Chops or Portofino's (our favorite) on formal night. Formal dress is not required. Other choices are the Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade depending on the ship. Don't confine yourself to your cabin on formal nights.

One of the things that people overlook is dinner at the Windjammer. It is actually way better than it sounds. Every night they have basically the same dinner selections as the main dining room, plus they have a "build your own pasta" or Mongolian BBQ or something along those lines. (It varies a little by ship) The Windjammer is never crowded for dinner and it is casual.

On another note, Chops and Portifino are WONDERFUL! We have been to both and completely enjoyed it. It was well worth the $20-$25/person charge. We have been to both on several ships and the food was outstanding. (Chops Chocolate Cake is worth the $25 by itself!)

On our last cruise we traveled with my parents and my dad had had surgery on his neck about a month prior to the cruise so he wasn't comfortable wearing a tie so we went casual and that was fine even in Chops and Portifino. We have "boycotted" formal night on several cruises and gone to the Windjammer on formal night. (I hate lobster so I didn't miss that at all) If the melted butter is a big deal for you ask your waiter they should be able to accomidate a request like that.

I've only been to Portofino's so far, but I loved it, and so did the rest of my family (49, 49, 24, 18). My parents have been to Chops and said they like it, but they prefer Portofino's...I will be trying out Chops in December.

Keep in mind with online bookings, they only have so many of the slots online. If you can't get a date/time you want, call or visit the restaurant when you first board and you should be able to get it!

I would agree with others that lobster isn't available for room service. For other dining options, I'm thinking you're on the Serenade, so there'll be the Seaview Cafe and also the Solarium Cafe for late night snacks.

I would vote for Portofino if you are only going to do one specialty dining nights. The filets in Portofino's are excellent if you have a steak lover in the group. But Portofino's also offers a better selection of options other than beef than Chops does.

Plus the salads and sides are better and more varied.

Plus Portofino's has better bread selections with tamponades (sp).

Plus Portofino has pre-dessert plate with chocolate cover strawberries, etc.

Plus they have tiramisu that comes with a wonderful shot that is my DH's favorite dessert ever.

Plus Portofino is cheaper (or at least used to be).

Not to say that Chops is not good. It is. Just not as special as Portofino. With Chops, think good steak house with basic salads and fairly plain veggies served family style.

Archived