RT Seattle vs. RT Vancouver?

We2Cruzers

Hi all,

We'd like to go on a seven day Alaska cruise next year and I know that the airfare for RT from NY to Seattle will be cheaper than RT Vancouver - but was wondering whether there are things to take into account. I think from what I've read on this board some think RT Vancouver affords better sights...is that true? Is there anything that makes RT Seattle more attractive other than the convenience/airfare? I always get great information from those of you on these boards when I am in the thinking/planning stages - so thanks in advance for your insights.

LK

Hi all,

We'd like to go on a seven day Alaska cruise next year and I know that the airfare for RT from NY to Seattle will be cheaper than RT Vancouver - but was wondering whether there are things to take into account. I think from what I've read on this board some think RT Vancouver affords better sights...is that true? Is there anything that makes RT Seattle more attractive other than the convenience/airfare? I always get great information from those of you on these boards when I am in the thinking/planning stages - so thanks in advance for your insights.

LK

It's not always the case that airfare to Vancouver is much more expensive, especially from NYC. CX/Cathay Pacific have traffic rights on the JFK-YVR portion of a JFK-YVR-HKG routing, and occasionally have deep discount tickets. The good is that CX is an excellent airline, the bad being the arrival into YVR is at 01:30 am IIRC

I've done both and I do agree that RT Vancouver does include better scenery as the ships sail more of the inside passage. The ship rocked quite a bit the last couple nights of our RT Seattle cruise.

Besides price and convenience (no customs in Seattle, no foreign currency issues if you spend time there before or after cruise), I can't think of any other reason Seattle would be preferred unless the rest of the itinerary has more of your desired port stops.

I think it also depends if you think you'll go again or if it's a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. If just once, I'd say go for Vanc. If you think you might return and need to watch your budget now, then maybe Seattle this time. It is a very nice city with cool things to see (Space Needle, Aquarium, etc).

Seattle does have the stop in Victoria, usually. Victoria is totally awesome. That's another plus in the Seattle box, although the stop in Victoria is very late, and way too short.

But generally, Vancouver just seems superior in every way, except for price. Unfortunately, when you're doing a round-trip, price tends to be a priority.

Thanks for your responses...yes, budget is a reality as is convenience- but we'll continue to think about it because it does seem as though there will be more of Alaska to see if we leave from Vancouver. Decisions, decisions....but plenty of time since we are looking at Sept. 2010.

Another question - we've cruised with both Holland and Princess in the Caribbean and liked them both though have a slight preference for Holland. I know they both have lots of itineraries in Alaska - anyone want to weigh in on the strengths of either for their Alaska itineraries or ships?

LK

Thanks for your responses...yes, budget is a reality as is convenience- but we'll continue to think about it because it does seem as though there will be more of Alaska to see if we leave from Vancouver. Decisions, decisions....but plenty of time since we are looking at Sept. 2010.

Another question - we've cruised with both Holland and Princess in the Caribbean and liked them both though have a slight preference for Holland. I know they both have lots of itineraries in Alaska - anyone want to weigh in on the strengths of either for their Alaska itineraries or ships?

One of the things that drives up the price of flights from Canada is that the USA inflict Customs and Agriculture inspection fees on inbound flights from outside the USA.

LK

I've also cruised both HAL and Princess but my Alaska cruises were on HAL. I've heard/read that they both have a great reputation for doing Alaska very well, a couple articles even listing them as #1 & #2 (although I'm sure some fans of the other cruise lines might protest).

HAL includes Sitka on some itineraries-a favorite of many.

I personally would choose itinerary over cruiseline. Then from there I'd choose smaller ship over larger ship.

LK--

Here is a link to a recent article about a new route that HAL is doing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1092609

I looked long and hard at different cruises out of both Seattle and Vancouver. Because I live here, costs would have been negligible to travel from either port.

I loved the itinerary of this cruise and that it was visiting Hubbard glacier and Sitka... which was a huge difference from most of the other cruises.

Because this would be R/T Seattle, you might save a few dollars to use on excursions.

But whatever you choose, have a great trip!

Round trip Vancouver offers significantly more scenic sailing vs round trip Seattle. The port stops in Victoria, are usually far from ideal with little time. Verify the port times, itinerary, ports, glacier. HAL does do a good itinerary for round trip Seattle. There aren't any "bad" Alaska cruises.

With round trip Seattle, it has significantly more potential for rough sailing, so be prepared. IF sailing begining/mid May, you do have an opportunity for some humpback viewing during migration. DOES require a good amount of time invested, forward viewing with a good pair of wide angle binoculars.

It is easy to get between Seattle and Vancouver with an extra day and considering an overnight flight home. Amtrak, buses, one way rental cars are all very doable options.

I think from what I've read on this board some think RT Vancouver affords better sights...is that true? LK

A cruise out of Vancouver is more scenic because it cruises up the east side of Vancouver Island. A few hours after leaving Vancouver you will enter Discovery Passage at the city of Campbell River. It is a narrow passage between Vancouver Island and the Northern Gulf Islands. From there it goes through Johnstone Strait, which is scenic as well. Vancouver cruises also sail under the Lions Gate Bridge which is very interesting also.

Cruises out of Seattle sail up Puget Sound, which can have nice views of the Olympic and Cascade Mountain Ranges if it's clear enough. Then it heads out the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and into the Pacific Ocean on the west side of Vancouver Island. The seas can get choppy along here.

Seattle R/T cruises all make a stop at Victoria, BC. It's usually on the last evening. While Victoria is beautiful city and well worth a visit, most Seattle cruises really short change your visit there, arriving between 5 and 6 PM, and leaving at Midnight. Vancouver R/T cruises don't need to stop at another Canadian port, so you get to spend a little more time in Alaskan waters.

[quote name=Budget Queen;22155197

Seattle R/T cruises all make a stop at Victoria' date=' BC.

Not "all", NCL uses Prince Rupert.[/quote]

Is that a recent change? When we were docked in Ogden Point, Victoria, in May 2008 the Norweigan Pearl was right next to us.

(Sorry for the multiple posts!)

Seattle R/T cruises all make a stop at Victoria, BC. ItQUOTE]

Not "all", NCL uses Prince Rupert.

Is that a recent change? When we were docked in Ogden Point, Victoria, in May 2008 the Norweigan Pearl was right next to us.

Roundtrip cruises from Seattle have to make a "foreign" port stop. Most ships do so in Victoria, but some go to Prince Rupert.

Nope, the Pearl isn't the only NCL ship sailing. The Star also sails round trip Seattle, and ports at Prince Rupert. I did NOT say, "all" NCL ships.

Archived