How have you lightened the load

Kaboochi

I would really like to hear how have you streamlined your packing and still enjoyed your cruise. With $$ for each checked airline bag I am looking for ways to lighten the load. Here's my tips:

No more blow dryer, flat iron. For our 1st 3 cruises I tried to fight the humidity (curly hair here). Now I put some gunk in, from a small bottle, let it dry naturally and have time for an extra cocktail before dinner.

No more laptop - which means no extension cord.

1 pr day sandals, 2 pair for dinner - nobody looks at your feet.

No kids - they take up room:D just kidding

We're sailing 2/10 and would like to know how you lighten the load.

Gonna get flamed here but no longer dress up for formal night as it requires an additional case for a seven night cruise (2 formal dinners). This is ONLY due to an extra case and the cost involved.

We got off Adventure last month and it would have cost us an additional $60 round trip for formal clothes.

Tim

all my cruise clothes are brown or black, two shoes, 1 black, 1 gold which also work for formal. 1 pair palazzo pants, 3 nice tops for formals ( 12 night cruise). Hubby rents tux so he doesn't have to lug suit.

Everything is mix and match, did 12 night cruise, 2 nights pre cruise, 1 night post with ONE suitcase that maxed out at 47 lbs.

Gonna get flamed here but no longer dress up for formal night as it requires an additional case for a seven night cruise (2 formal dinners). This is ONLY due to an extra case and the cost involved.

We got off Adventure last month and it would have cost us an additional $60 round trip for formal clothes.

Tim

We too have toned down on formal nights - kind of sad. But on the bright side, a cruise without all of that means more relaxation time.

DH rents a tux so there's less to pack! My biggest change over the years is packing very little "casual wear". During the days we're in suits and VERY casual shorts/tanks - been known to wear them more than once too! LOL

We checked two bags on the way to the cruise this year ($30 total) and 3 on the way back (bought some liquor) - if you pack in the carry-on size you can check less by carrying-on more!

Lets start with DH - his shoes get minied down. One pair blk dress - one pair flipflops or sandals - one pair sport/walking - worn on the plane his shoes are heavy. I take short silky dresses or one pr blk knit pants with 2 sparkle tops. No more beaded things. Downsize all lotions, shampoos and other face and hair stuff. We quit the 'smuggle the booze'. But since we are banned from the CLounge maybe we should take up rumrunners????

Also we bought new luggage - there is a big difference in the weight of the new stuff and the old suitcases. Downsize if you can - leave the 26-28 inchers at home and use the 24-25 inchers as checked bags. Find ultralite carryons - for both carryon and personal items.

Lets start with DH - his shoes get minied down. One pair blk dress - one pair flipflops or sandals - one pair sport/walking - worn on the plane his shoes are heavy. I take short silky dresses or one pr blk knit pants with 2 sparkle tops. No more beaded things. Downsize all lotions, shampoos and other face and hair stuff. We quit the 'smuggle the booze'. But since we are banned from the CLounge maybe we should take up rumrunners????

Also we bought new luggage - there is a big difference in the weight of the new stuff and the old suitcases. Downsize if you can - leave the 26-28 inchers at home and use the 24-25 inchers as checked bags. Find ultralite carryons - for both carryon and personal items.

I have traveled all over finding "tiny" jars and bottles for cosmetic and medicine cabinet items - much less weight. More work packing but worth it.

We haven't changed our packing habits much at all. 2 or 3 bags for a week cruise just wont get it lol. 4 maybe. We have a cruise out of San Juan in late January and I have found that saving those freq flyer miles and upgrading to first class does the trick. We can each have 3 bags that weigh up to 70 lbs checked for free.

DH rents a tux so there's less to pack! My biggest change over the years is packing very little "casual wear". During the days we're in suits and VERY casual shorts/tanks - been known to wear them more than once too! LOL

We checked two bags on the way to the cruise this year ($30 total) and 3 on the way back (bought some liquor) - if you pack in the carry-on size you can check less by carrying-on more!

Off topic, how did you like Adventure? We were on the week after you. Liked the ship, itinerary did nothing for me but wife loved it, after all, the cruise for her birthday anyway. ;)

Tim

Just don't take all that junk people have on their important list such as fans, blenders, bungie cords, duct tape, power strips, extension cords, over the door shoe holders, ice coolers, insulated mugs, flats of bottled water, pillows, blow-up pools, laptops, noise machines, backpacks, ....and on and on.

Hard to believe people can't survive for a couple of days without all that stuff.

We do mix-n-match, two pairs of shoes, one of which you wear and just the bare essentials. Each of us...one suitcase, including nice clothes for formal nights.

I use 2 gal zip lock bags to put my clothes in and then use a straw to suck the air out (like those space bags on TV). My clothes too are mix-n-match - lots of black, khaki and white (and I've been known to at least wear the same shorts twice). Last time took 2 pr flip flops and 1 pr black dress shoes, 2 pr dress pants, one grey and one black. One dressy top and a couple of sweater sets for dinner. We then carry a large duffle bag, empty, in our bag and use it to put all the dirty clothes in for the trip home. That way there's space in the suitcase for goodies. Or, you can put you clothes back in the zip locks, etc.

Fly Southwest if possible as bags are free. Pack shoes in carry on luggage and also pack small bottles of liquids if possible and put all liquids in plastic containers. Buy cokes, water, and other liquids at port before boarding. Plan my wardrobe for a mix and match situation to cut down on shoes. Do cocktail dress for formal and suit for hubby (resent that one because he looks soooooooooo sexy in his tux). Forget about the extra, just in case I want it outfits.

For coming home, I ditch all unsued small bottles of shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc. I also pack the old underwear and socks that can be thrown out as well as the old used scrubby that can also be tossed. That leaves room and weight for that new souviner.

And if all else fells - leave hubby at home (after all he won't be wearing that sexy tux).

I would really like to hear how have you streamlined your packing and still enjoyed your cruise. With $$ for each checked airline bag I am looking for ways to lighten the load.

We're sailing 2/10 and would like to know how you lighten the load.

As a Delta medallion member, I don't get charged baggage fees, but I still try not to overpack.

I take VERY little casual daytime wear. Most days are spent in bathing suit and cover up, so I take little else. Maybe 1-2 pair of shorts and 2-3 tanks/tees.

I try to plan evening/dinner outfits color-wise, so that I only need 2-3 pair of shoes. And for each pair of pants I wear to dinner, I wear them twice with different tops.

Fly Southwest if possible as bags are free. Pack shoes in carry on luggage and also pack small bottles of liquids if possible and put all liquids in plastic containers. Buy cokes, water, and other liquids at port before boarding. Plan my wardrobe for a mix and match situation to cut down on shoes. Do cocktail dress for formal and suit for hubby (resent that one because he looks soooooooooo sexy in his tux). Forget about the extra, just in case I want it outfits.

For coming home, I ditch all unsued small bottles of shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc. I also pack the old underwear and socks that can be thrown out as well as the old used scrubby that can also be tossed. That leaves room and weight for that new souviner.

And if all else fells - leave hubby at home (after all he won't be wearing that sexy tux).

We do when we can. Unfortunately they do not fly to San Juan. ;)

Tim

We do when we can. Unfortunately they do not fly to San Juan. ;)

Tim

Yes, it is a shame that Southwest doesn't fly to all cruise ports. But I so love their new commercials - espicially the one where they point to the luggage hole and say "Pay to fly there?". Some smart business by not following the other airlines and then creating a great advertising campaign.

I use 2 gal zip lock bags to put my clothes in and then use a straw to suck the air out (like those space bags on TV). My clothes too are mix-n-match - lots of black, khaki and white (and I've been known to at least wear the same shorts twice). Last time took 2 pr flip flops and 1 pr black dress shoes, 2 pr dress pants, one grey and one black. One dressy top and a couple of sweater sets for dinner. We then carry a large duffle bag, empty, in our bag and use it to put all the dirty clothes in for the trip home. That way there's space in the suitcase for goodies. Or, you can put you clothes back in the zip locks, etc.

I sit on the zip locs to get rid of the air, works too.

I would really like to hear how have you streamlined your packing.

Doing a 3 nighter this weekend, and due to scheduling issues, I'm flying in same day, which is something I don't usually do, so I'm not checking a bag.

Because of that, and because it's just a 3 nighter, I'm determined to limit myself to just a medium sized, zip-top tote bag. Anything that isn't essential just won't get packed for this cruise. (So no work-out wear on this one, LOL)........A couple of dresses that are the kind you can roll in a ball to pack and they don't wrinkle, plus a pair of sandals for evening, a pair of shorts, a t-shirt/tank top or two, 1 bathing suit and cover up, a VERY minimal makeup/toiletry bag...that, plus what I actually wear on the plane is about it!

We will do our 1st 7 day Cruise on the Mainer in a little over a year and I am seriously planning on 1 Carry on and the 25 ". We will see if we can eliminate DH's Carry on. For our 15 day Hawaii last year on the Radiance, we had 2 Carry Ons and my 28 " plus DH Garmet Suitcase. There we had 3 formal nights.

Tim

No flames from here either. Same with us. Used to do the formal thing but no longer. Also only 2 or 3 pairs of shoes. We now each bring one 22 inch rolling bag and a personal type one and thats it for 7 days.

Sitting at the airport with two checked bags each and a carry on each for 14 nights. Southwest, so no fees. That includes three formal dresses, two uniforms and a tux, sport coat, and all the other stuff you need. It can be done, fairly easily.

We try to fly JetBlue whenever possible as they don't charge for the first checked bags. We are flying with them into San Juan in January, The new lighter luggage really makes a big difference as well. I enjoy dressing up so I do tend to pack a lot of clothes but because they are lighter Summer clothes I don't usually go over the 50lb limit. My 21 year old daughter is a whole other story.

Archived