Will an expired passport do the job?

Kappa

Actually, the state department website is quite specific - if you take the visa stamp out of the old passport, it becomes void and worthless. The visa has to be kept in the old passport to be valid.

The passport is still useless. Particularly if you are using it to try to return to the US. I know you're trying to be nice to the OP, but let's not give people bad advice they might misinterpret. An expired passport is basically a memento, and should not be considered an acceptable form of ID when traveling outside the US. For the cost of a new passport, which is good for 10 years, you avoid a LOT of potential problems.

The passport is still useless. Particularly if you are using it to try to return to the US. I know you're trying to be nice to the OP, but let's not give people bad advice they might misinterpret. An expired passport is basically a memento, and should not be considered an acceptable form of ID when traveling outside the US. For the cost of a new passport, which is good for 10 years, you avoid a LOT of potential problems.
I don't think the OP was looking for people to be "nice" to him; simply that they not be insulting. And I don't think that either the OP or anyone else thinks that an expired passport is just as good as a current one, or that there's a good reason not to renew your passport in a timely manner. The OP simply asked a straightforward question based on his actual current situation, to which some people responded in a juvenile and rude manner.

An expired passport "is what it is." It isn't the same thing as a current one, but it may have some utility under some limited circumstances. If you happen to find yourself in one of those circumstances, you're going to want to have it. If not, then it's "just a memento." :)

... I was IMMEDIATELY told that a US Passport was not acceptable, and I needed my BC. ...The SS employee made a really big stink about it, and told my repeatedly that my US Passport was not "proof of citizenship"! He said he'd worked for SS for ten years. I finally asked to speak to a "supervisor", who confirmed the same thing. I was completely floored! I'd cruised and travelled to many parts of the world over many years on my Passports! Finally, a lady walked by, overheard the "conversation", and said something like, "Oh, if they were born between 19whatever and 19whatever, we accept current Passports as proof of citizenship". This endeavor took a whole day! Finally got approved. I still can't figure out if this was a case of US Social Security policy or Dumb and Dumber. (Me not being the D&D. I brought in the required paperwork).

Not that you will need it now, but perhaps someone else will, from the SSA website:

http://www.ssa.gov/ss5doc/oriselfus18.htm

Citizenship

We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship

(Passport can also be used for age or for ID, but you will need at least two separate documents so would also have to have a DL or BC to use with the passport.)

Why would you not renew your expired passport?

Then you would not have any concern and you would be cleared to fly home if necessary from a foreign port. You cannot fly home from out of this country without a valid passport.

Renewal is easy enough, good for ten years and only costs $10 per year.

If you can/plan to travel, there is no good reason to not have a valid passport. IMO

Right. You all seem to be thinking about a US - single foreign port - US trip.

But you need to enter the foreign port as well as re-entering the US.

Take NYC-Southampton-NYC - a typical Cunard trip. You'd need to clear passport control for England on the way across. You'd be in deep do do trying to get into England without the proper documents.

Look at it both ways folks.

Now does anyone know the entry requirements for Bermuda - which is a Commonwealth Country.......

Why would you not renew your expired passport?

Then you would not have any concern and you would be cleared to fly home if necessary from a foreign port. You cannot fly home from out of this country without a valid passport.

Renewal is easy enough, good for ten years and only costs $10 per year.

If you can/plan to travel, there is no good reason to not have a valid passport. IMO

When I renewed my passport it cost $75 last January. My picture cost $8 at Walgreens-so not even $10 a year.

Right. You all seem to be thinking about a US - single foreign port - US trip.

But you need to enter the foreign port as well as re-entering the US.

Take NYC-Southampton-NYC - a typical Cunard trip. You'd need to clear passport control for England on the way across. You'd be in deep do do trying to get into England without the proper documents.

Look at it both ways folks.

Now does anyone know the entry requirements for Bermuda - which is a Commonwealth Country.......

Welcome Hector, I see you are new to CC, although you have a well-versed history of cruising. Bermuda is party to the WHTI rules for cruising, so while a member of the commonwealth, does not require passports of US citizens on RT cruises.

http://www.getyouhome.gov

"Nanatravel; I am running into the same scenario for our next cruise but it won't expire until we are sailing"

If you know your passport is expiring and you aren't cruising for two months, why aren't you applying to renew now so you don't have to run into any scenario? Just my curious mind wanting to know. I believe it's our responsibility to keep passports up to date so you don't have to worry about going places. My passport is my only form of identification when I travel.

For all of the "wits" who demonstrated their intellectual superiority over the OP by insisting that an expired passport is essentially trash - try renewing your passport after it has expired without the old, "expired" document! If you have an expired passport that's less than 15 years old, you can renew by mail. If not - prepare to stand in some lines. http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html So, yeah, that "expired" document has value. And yes - once my wallet was stolen and before I received my replacement drivers' license I actually was pulled over (not for speeding, though!) I handed the officer my old "expired" license I'd pulled out of my sock drawer and explained the situation. Guess what? My "expired" drivers license served the necessary purpose of identifying me as me - with no problem.

So the OP's question was not stupid, and the answer not obvious. I agree that it's wise to supplement that document with another, readily obtainable form of acceptable ID, but if the passport's function is simply to confirm identity, rather than to establish legal right to enter the country (which apparently is the case in "closed loop" travel) it's not at all clear that an "expired" assport couldn't suffice.

Here in Canada if you try to renew your passport without the old one (or if you lose your passport) it gets reported to the RCMP (Federal Police) and then investigated by them before you get a new passport. You need the expired passport in order to get the new one, otherwise it could take months. Also remember, changes to the border laws mean US citzens and Canadian citizens required passports to visit each other. So every time I cross the border to vacation on land or cruise I have to carry a passport with me. Same goes for you coming to see us.

And come January 1st you may need that valid passport to fly, depending on what state you live in. I may need mine and thank god I have one!

This is the second time I have seen this on a message board but haven't heard about it anywhere else - where did you get that information? January 1 is not very far away, I would've thought that there would be a lot more publicity - otherwise there will be a lot of really angry people at airports who brought their driver's licenses but don't have (or didn't bring) their passports. It seems like a burdensome requirement - tons of people fly within the US but have no intention of ever going beyond its borders.

I tried to use an expired picture drivers license as identification for airport security and was rejected.

Cruise lines tell you that your passport should have 6 months left on it when you need it to get on their ships.

You probably do not need a passport for this trip. But you probably need a birthcertificate and goverment picture ID. Check the US Dept of State for the requirements.

The 6 month rule is because most countries have a max 6 month visiting policy, and hence want you to have a valid passport to exit the country.

And come January 1st you may need that valid passport to fly, depending on what state you live in. I may need mine and thank god I have one!

Care to cite your source for this bit of information?

(S)he is correct. There are 38 states whose driver's licenses will not meet the new requirement for TSA Inspection at airports. There is something about them that are claimed to be faulty in terms of security and unless there is an amendment to law passed, it is going to be a horrid mess at U.S. airports trying to board any flights to anywhere which in the past only required drivers license.

Google it to find the full story but it is imminent and will effect millions of travelers.

Saw this story on CNN and Fox last week.

This is the second time I have seen this on a message board but haven't heard about it anywhere else - where did you get that information? January 1 is not very far away, I would've thought that there would be a lot more publicity - otherwise there will be a lot of really angry people at airports who brought their driver's licenses but don't have (or didn't bring) their passports. It seems like a burdensome requirement - tons of people fly within the US but have no intention of ever going beyond its borders.

My guess is the poster is misinformed about the new TSA Secure Flight rules. (By the way, they are already in effect, but airlines with computer systems that can't accommodate the new rules have been given extensions on the effective date, so not all airlines are enforcing it yet.)

This new program requires that the name on the airline ticket must exactly match the name on the identification the traveler presents, as well as having your date of birth and gender. This supposedly will allow Uncle Sam to do a better job of screening passengers against their terrorist watch list.

For example, my drivers license, which is the form of identification I normally use for domestic travel, has my first name and middle initial, while my passport, which of course I use for international travel, has my first name and full middle name. This scenario is rather common, so now we must be cognizant of the ID we're going to be using when we book airline tickets...and it's further complicated by the fact that airlines commonly use the name that have selected for your frequent flier account on your ticket record. Some airlines are now allowing you to have two different versions of your name residing in your frequent flier account record...so you can choose the version that will match the form of ID you'll be presenting.

My guess is the poster is misinformed about the new TSA Secure Flight rules. (By the way, they are already in effect, but airlines with computer systems that can't accommodate the new rules have been given extensions on the effective date, so not all airlines are enforcing it yet.)

This new program requires that the name on the airline ticket must exactly match the name on the identification the traveler presents, as well as having your date of birth and gender. This supposedly will allow Uncle Sam to do a better job of screening passengers against their terrorist watch list.

For example, my drivers license, which is the form of identification I normally use for domestic travel, has my first name and middle initial, while my passport, which of course I use for international travel, has my first name and full middle name. This scenario is rather common, so now we must be cognizant of the ID we're going to be using when we book airline tickets...and it's further complicated by the fact that airlines commonly use the name that have selected for your frequent flier account on your ticket record. Some airlines are now allowing you to have two different versions of your name residing in your frequent flier account record...so you can choose the version that will match the form of ID you'll be presenting.

No....... that is a separate issue.

(S)he is correct. There are 38 states whose driver's licenses will not meet the new requirement for TSA Inspection at airports. There is something about them that are claimed to be faulty in terms of security and unless there is an amendment to law passed, it is going to be a horrid mess at U.S. airports trying to board any flights to anywhere which in the past only required drivers license.

Google it to find the full story but it is imminent and will effect millions of travelers.

link, please?

I'm not finding anything, and I just did a general Google as well as site searches on CNN.com and USAToday.com

OK...that's the "Real ID" law debacle, but I think the "media" have done their usual outstanding job of scaring the public with headlines based on half truths and incomplete information. Technically there is a rule that has been slated to go into effect on 1/1/10, but somehow I'm willing to bet that millions of passengers are not going to be turned away at the airport gates on New Years Day, particularly since the head of DHS, Secretary Janet Napolitano, has made her oppostion to it pretty clear, not to mention that the final rule has a provision allowing states to seek an extension until May, 2011 for meeting the drivers license requirements.

Archived